1.    #1  
    maybe once a month, I get a hotsync error as follows:

-- Date Book
    - The Palm Desktop does not support events before 1970. The following event was moved to 1970:
    c, 12/31/1970, Untimed

I then have to go to (oddly) 12/31/69 to delete the character to prevent the error from recurring.

I swear I havent put in any events before 1999 when I first got a Visor. I do admit though that I have a ton of events on there in the last couple years, and a ton of contacts as well.

how can I prevent this error from recurring? what exactly does it signify? do others get it? does it indicate that data somewhere is being deleted?

thanks for any help...
    - john
    "I then have to go to (oddly) 12/31/69 to delete the character to prevent the error from recurring."

you removing it from both the treo and the desktop PIM?
    Are you using the Palm PIM or Outlook?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    you removing it from both the treo and the desktop PIM?
    Are you using the Palm PIM or Outlook?
    I'm using the Palm PIM - and I delete it from my Treo - and when I sync next its not there anymore, until a couple weeks later when it emerges again. I can't delete it from the desktop PIM - I can't seem to get to 1969 on the desktop.

I've had this problem with the 270 and 180 before my 600 - not sure if I had it with the Visors though. any thoughts would be appreciated....
    How interesting. Sounds like somewhere there is a conversion to the standard windows time of seconds since 1970 (time_t = long). As both Palm and Outlook seem to be able to cope with pre 1970 it sounds like a bug in HotSync
    I get this problem too!
    I had this problem also, when I transferred date over from my Palm V (yes I know, it's been a while between upgrades!).

In the end, a very helpful Palm operator (in the Phillipines I think) went through a procedure with me to 'clean' the data. In turns out that the data was corrupted.

I'm not very tech savvy, so I can't recall the specifics, but the Palm coduit has an inbuilt data cleaning tool if you export/import data in a particular way.

Give Palm customer assistance a call....
    Or do this,

Go to the Palm Desktop, Tools Menu, then Options then click on the Tools Tab. There you will see a Button stating "Check and Repair any corrupted records" -

Click on the button - Check Now

Problem should be solved.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    good fix, but I use outlook
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    Palm desktop fix should address any corrupted file in the .DAT file used for Calendar etc even if it's in Outlook if your getting the exact same error message as Visorhawk. The error is in the .dat file and not in Outlook.

Even if you sync to Outlook your data files are still backed up within the structure of the Palm Desktop subfolders.

If your error message is different - then it would be another fix.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  10.    #10  
    I had never played with that tool before, RSGMoose, so I appreciate the advice, but it tells me "No corrupted records were found." Maybe I need to do it next time I get the error, I guess. any other folks have this problem, or a solution?
    The pre 1970 issue and other's is the reason I've synced to Outlook.

If you get the error again, then try the fix and it should correct the issue.

You might also double check - if you have a program similar to Datemate that keeps track of special days such as birthdays and anniversaries - it can corrupt the default calendar from time to time if your not using the latest version.
    Moose Man
  12.    #12  
    for posterity's sake, if anyone searches these forums for the same issue, I finally know why it was happening. apparently Palm is not meant to be synched with two computers for one PDA, and I sync both at home and work. make enuogh changes on both computers and this error will appear. its unclear if data is lost, but they say its possible. frankly, this answer sucks.