1.    #1  
    I saw this story reported on The Drudge Report:

FEDS RECOMMEND DRIVERS NOT USE CELLPHONES
    Mon Jul 19 2004 11:01:58 ET

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration now recommends that drivers not use cellphones at all, except in an emergency.

A great deal of research has concluded that headsets and speaker-phones don't improve safety because it's the mental distraction of talking on the phone, not holding it, that causes the danger while driving, the WALL STREET JOURNAL reports in Page Ones on Monday.

MORE

Earlier this month, New Jersey and Washington, D.C., joined New York in requiring drivers to use headsets or other so-called hands-free devices when they talk on cellphones. After initially fighting such laws, the nation's cellphone carriers are joining with car makers to promote the voluntary use of headsets to address concerns about the safety of talking on the phone while driving.

More states and towns across the country are considering ways to legislate the practice.

But new research by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and others suggests that hands-free devices may actually add to the overall risk!

This new evidence could put safety regulators -- who have been reticent to act so far -- on a collision course with the nation's wireless business.

NHTSA officials drafted a letter to be sent to all 50 U.S. governors.

It said laws prohibiting hand-held cellphones while giving the green light to using headsets "will not address the problem" and "may erroneously imply that hands-free phones are safe to use while driving."

It recommended that drivers not use cellphones at all, except in an emergency.

Developing...
    I use my Treo 600 phone often while driving, but I admit that at times I am a little distracted while talking on the phone, whether I am using a headset or not.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    My question for those who did this study is this.

How does talking on the phone distract you anymore than talking to someone else in the car? With the phone at least you are not inclined to turn your head to look at the person in the passenger seat or constantly glance in the mirror to make eye contact with the guy in the back seat.

How is it more distracting than loading a new cd or tape or looking for a new radio station?

How is it more distracting than reaching into the backseat to hand something to the baby?

....reading the newspaper?
    ....putting on your makeup?
    .....feeding yourself?
    .....dealing with the coffee you just spilled in your lap?
    ...checking out the hottie in the next car or walking down the sidewalk in hardly any clothes? (it is summer after all)

Are they planning legislation to restrict any of these things???
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I get pretty distracted changing CD's. Much more than when I use the speaker phone.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I have found that when I am in an intense driving situation, I will stop talking or ask if I can call the person back.....

I think this is an issue of priorities, asn opposed to cell phones.

If distractions were made illegal, no teenager would be allowed in a vehiccle with any other (especially one of the opposite sex).
    While I dont think simply conversing on the phone while driving is dangerous, I do believe using a Treo 600 while driving is dangerous. I do it all the time and marvel at all the things I do while on the road:

-Compose text msgs
    -Take pictures of aesthetically appealling buildings
    -Record video
    -and worst of all perform soft resets which requires pulling out the stylus, unscrewing the tip, locating the small hole in the back, and sticking it in.

It doesnt get any more dangerous than that!
    P.S. Heberman, the Spiderman in your avatar is the gayest Spiderman I've ever seen
    They've banned the use of all mobile phones whilst driving in the UK. There have been a couple of high profile fatal road accidents involving people losing control of a vehicle whilst driving one handed and using their phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast
    They've banned the use of all mobile phones whilst driving in the UK. There have been a couple of high profile fatal road accidents involving people losing control of a vehicle whilst driving one handed and using their phones.
    Thats kinda dumb if you ask me. Nobody talks of banning cars when there is an accident attributed to mechanical failure of the car.

When are we going to realize that we can legislate ourselves into a long and pain free life?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast

Another thought. What happens if someone is walking down the street talking on their phone. They trip over something and fall on someone causing an injury to that person. Is the UK now going to ban walking and talking on your phone?

Also would they have banned changing the cd if that had been the activity in the above quote?

How about They've banned the use of all hands whilst driving in the UK. There have been a couple of high profile fatal road accidents involving people losing control of a vehicle whilst driving one handed and scratching themselves. ??
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Let's ban breathing as CO2 is bad for furry things and children.
    Lets start making EVERYTHING out of nerf! Nerf cars, nerf street lights, nerf roads... Just imagine! The only means of suicide would be to sufficate yourself with nerf! Much less gruesome than the splat people used to get from jumping from buildings.

--TechDude
    It's not just NHTC.

I was in Richmond, VA this weekend. While waiting in a drive-thru for one of those fine southern delicacies (McDonald's), my wife and I spotted a sign indicating, "For faster service, please do not talk on your cell phone while ordering"

I guess they don't want your signal interfering with the high-fidelity sound system in the speaker system where you order.

fjdlasfjs;adf Welk 2 McDowl's, may i take your daughter? jflkda;fjkls;da