Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    They finally added a keyboard to this thing. Looks like the Treo is getting some stiff competition.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5131.html
    Quote Originally Posted by zosomagnus
    They finally added a keyboard to this thing. Looks like the Treo is getting some stiff competition.

yes, the treo is doomed. it was actually already doomed. look at the sales figures. sony ericsson sells about 2million of p900 a quarter wherearas palm sells like 150-200k treos.

plus is bigger, has got antenna (such a nasty thing brr) and low resolution.

when the treo ace will be also too little and way too late. again antenna, no wifi, big. motorola mpx and nokia 9500 or 9300 takes the market over. treo will be a niche player. but treo ace should be release a year ago to be a hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by orol
    yes, the treo is doomed. it was actually already doomed. look at the sales figures. sony ericsson sells about 2million of p900 a quarter wherearas palm sells like 150-200k treos.
    Are you serious? I have seen several Treo 600 and not one SE900 and I live in Boston.... Where did you find this quote?

motorola mpx and nokia 9500 or 9300 takes the market over. treo will be a niche player. but treo ace should be release a year ago to be a hit.
    It will be a cold day in hell when I see a Nokia communicator (The original brick phone) sell more units then the Treo. And the MPX has a nice form factor but it is still a M$ OS device. If that was running the Palm OS I would buy it in a second...

Treo ACE could not have been released a year ago due to the fact that the equipment wasn't there. No one was making Hi-Res screen small enough for the Treo form factor.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Are you serious? I have seen several Treo 600 and not one SE900 and I live in Boston.... Where did you find this quote?
    official sales figures provided by sony ericsson and palmone
    not to mention the old p800 is selling at 1m a Q..

Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    It will be a cold day in hell when I see a Nokia communicator (The original brick phone) sell more units then the Treo. And the MPX has a nice form factor but it is still a M$ OS device. If that was running the Palm OS I would buy it in a second...

Treo ACE could not have been released a year ago due to the fact that the equipment wasn't there. No one was making Hi-Res screen small enough for the Treo form factor.
    treo form factor isn't the smallest one. e.g. sony had hi res 2,7" screen in TG50 over a year ago. so that wasn't a problem but palmone or handspring decided to go this way. what other fool would put in a smartphone PASIVe display with ONLY 4k colours ? I mean I really love the keyboard on the treo and palm os (over 5 years of palm os in my case) but now its very overpriced phone. even the series 60 from nokia has bigger resolution. not to mention phones like k700 that have bigger better resolution.

get real, treo is nice device but overprived and with many many drawbacks
    Quote Originally Posted by zosomagnus

The only problem I have with any of these competitive devices is that they don't use the Palm OS. I have an investment in a lot of software that I use on a daily basis. I'm not willing to just throw that investment away, no matter how good the competition's feature set might be.

As long as these other devices use OS's like Symbian, Microsoft, etc., and not Palm OS (which I've invested in) they won't raise my interest.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    official sales figures provided by sony ericsson and palmone
    not to mention the old p800 is selling at 1m a Q..

treo form factor isn't the smallest one. e.g. sony had hi res 2,7" screen in TG50 over a year ago. so that wasn't a problem but palmone or handspring decided to go this way. what other fool would put in a smartphone PASIVe display with ONLY 4k colours ? I mean I really love the keyboard on the treo and palm os (over 5 years of palm os in my case) but now its very overpriced phone. even the series 60 from nokia has bigger resolution. not to mention phones like k700 that have bigger better resolution.

get real, treo is nice device but overprived and with many many drawbacks
    Yeah, it's true SE has sold a LOT more P800/900's than P1 has sold Treos, but it's totally unfair to compare the two. First of all, P1 is NOT a mobile handset maker. It is a pda manufacturer and a tiny one at that compared to behemouths like Nokia, Motorola, Samsung etc. IMO, it is quite commendable that P1 has sold as many treos that they have. You have to look at if from the perspective of where they were only a couple years ago. When Handspring first released the Treo 180, they had a hard time getting wireless providers to even talk to them! Even last year, Handspring had a glut of nearly 300,000 unsold Treo300's and was losing money. Today the merged P1 can't barely keep up with demand for the Treo600 which now makes up a third of all its profits. That's a pretty good turn around imo!

As to the deficiencies in the current Treo. Yes they exist, but so what. The Ace will fix most of them and P1 has already indicated they are developing an entire line of Treos. They don't have to beat Nokia, SE etc in sales...they probably will never to that, but they probably will be a competive player in the market for some time...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Nice phone but speaking of drawbacks:
    Tri-band
    www.gsmworld.com
    no EDGE on the P910, screw it
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une ťmission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Have you seen where the keyboard is on that thing? It'd be very awkward to use to say the least.
    Animo et Fide
    It's a nice looking phone, killer screen, but there is no way in hell i would buy a Symbian phone for the same reason I would never buy a Mac (unless i was installing linux on it ) Palm is a better OS and has more software.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    People have consistently minimized the value of usability when comparing these devices. We have seen predictions of doom to the Treo line for a couple of years now and all we have seen in reality is the Treo line getting stronger and the number of adopters increase, especially now with the 600 and beyond.

Make all the fun you want of the "zen" design of the Palm folks. The simple truth of the matter is that it is extremely valuable. I've seen many a P800 user in Europe last year and, guess what, they almost always were standing there with their styli poking at the phone to make and hang phone calls! Looking awkward at best.

Also, Treo Ace will be great, but I bet that there will still be a lot of room for 160x160 resolution Treo sales due to the lower price at least for sometime to come. I think the choice to stick with 160x160 for the first release was a smart one because it guaranteed a reasonable price AND a large profit margin. We on this board don't represent the majority of users. Many users are so happy to to have calendar, todo, email and phone, which work perfectly fine on a low res screen.
    I don't see how it's possible to type with two thumbs on the P910. The way the keyboard folds out, you would have to grab the thin little keyboard part, but that won't work as the heavy phone part will flop back. I don't see this as a usable keyboard, but will have to see one for real before I can decide. I'll pass.
    I agree. I also don't see how you can type with one hand with the P910. I do that all the time when I'm laying in bed, or when I have a cup of coffee in one hand. With the lanyard (a custom job) wrapped around my index finger of my left hand, I can support the Treo securely and type and do just about everything with one hand. Don't even think about doing that with Grafitti.

Form factor is what makes the Treo 600. After owning it since Oct 03, I am still amazed by it.

Quote Originally Posted by kazinvan
    I don't see how it's possible to type with two thumbs on the P910. The way the keyboard folds out, you would have to grab the thin little keyboard part, but that won't work as the heavy phone part will flop back. I don't see this as a usable keyboard, but will have to see one for real before I can decide. I'll pass.
    And they figured out how to put 64MB of RAM into the thing!
  15.    #15  
    I wonder if you can flip the keyboard around so that it is on top when closed as opposed to the dialpad. I think it's a very clever design and it gets better and better with each generation. I also would prefer if it used the PalmOS, but if the Symbian os can support all of those email clients and has built in programs for all the other functions I need, I can get over it.

What I don't like is the memory stick duo. I'd rather stick with SD or CompactFlash.
    Some more photos here.

Looks rather brick-like to me. Nice device nontheless for some people/uses.
    I had a P900, that is why i'm a Treo 600 user now. The P900 is nice but the software is expensive and hard to find. The Treo is much more user friendly.
    what always made the Treo special is the fact that its a palm/phone with a QWERTY KEYBOARD. nothing with a numeric keypad will ever displace the Treo no matter what the OS.

the P900 series is more advanced than the Treo in MOST ways, except for the most important one. its a great tech and great size and shape, but has NO KEYBOARD. period.

this p910 keyboard is a clumsy workaround to the series' main (and terminal) flaw. no way is this keyboard designed for heavy use. i suggested to a friend if that qwerty was on the FRONT and the keypad on the flip, but then he pointed out that most Symbian text apps require the whole screen. another terminal flaw.

the p910 is a wonderful tech toy, but as an everyday info tool it cant compare to the blackberry or treo or even sidekick. out of all these, the only one that works equally well as an info tool and phone is the treo 600.
    this is a pic from brighthand showing one way to use the KB.

Would you trust the hinges for long typing this way?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    a video of the Kb in action can be found here:

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/...-p910-en.shtml

direct link to video:

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/.../p910/p910.avi

notice how he starts typing and the has to adjust his hands, to better cup (?) the device.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast