1.    #1  
    Hello,

I am now working in an area where Sprint does not get reception -- I can't talk for more than 15 seconds before the phone cuts out. It's incredibly frustrating. I have a Treo 600. I called an AT&T office (AT&T seems to be the only carrier that works around here) and the rep told me that since my Treo 600 was set up to work on Sprint network, it CANNOT be converted to AT&T in part because "AT&T is GSM".

So I'm posting this to the gurus on Treo Central. There must be some kind of hardware converter to allow me to switch to AT&T rather than waste money buying a new Treo? I have no desire to buy a second Treo -- that's a lot of money to spend.

Searcherguy
    There is no hardware conveter. Completely different technologies. THe best you can do is use Ebay to recoup as much as possible on your original treo. How long have you had your sprint contract? If it's new, I think you can get out of it.
    You can probably get out of the contract because of the move to an area that has bad reception. I won't say that it's 100% likely, but I have read of others doing it. KRamsauer is right about not being able to use Sprint Treo with AT&T.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I think I saw a post somewhere on this site explaining how to hack the Sprint Treo to work on Verizon's CDMA network.
    Talldog
    Quote Originally Posted by Talldog
    I think I saw a post somewhere on this site explaining how to hack the Sprint Treo to work on Verizon's CDMA network.
    I...think....I saw it somewhere on here too!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcherguy
    Hello,

I am now working in an area where Sprint does not get reception -- I can't talk for more than 15 seconds before the phone cuts out.
    Have you been using *2 to report the dropped calls?
    I believe you can still get a credit for those, but more importantly it will let them know where you're having problems and they may be willing to do something about it.
    Sprint won't let you out of that contract unless u tell them u moved to Alaska(basically) OR a town (more like a cave) someplace underground outside of a village with no electricity and no running water.
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDaddeo6
    Sprint won't let you out of that contract unless u tell them u moved to Alaska(basically) OR a town (more like a cave) someplace underground outside of a village with no electricity and no running water.
    I don't think that's true. I've heard of them letting people out for being out of coverage several times.
    I'm not saying they won't release you out of the contract. but it makes it a he!! of a lot easier when they pull up your coverage area grid and can't even see the nearest town
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    Quote Originally Posted by Talldog
    In my opinion the converted Treo did not perform well compared to the VX6000. I was dropping calls like crazy in areas I know I shouldn't have been. I ended up converting it back & now I'm on Sprint again. I'm only guessing but I'm thinking the new Verizon Treo 600 will perform better. Plus the data rates on Verizon are not competitive in the slightest. Either you compromise and use minutes or pay a huge amount of money to get a data plan.
    Call Sprint up and report the lack of service. I had absolutely no service at my new house and surrounding area, when we moved last month. I called and they said they would dispatch a 'radio truck' to investigate the area. A month later and I now use my phone in most of the house - only 1 or 2 bars max, but at least I now have service.

Dunc