1.    #1  
    I'd like to hear any advice/stories on how people coordinate their iPod and Treo600 joint ownership.

For example, I don't take music with me on my Treo, but I do listen quite a bit to audible.com books and other selections. One reason I want an iPod is so I can store ALL my books and music on there without the constant file swapping.

BUT, I'm just worried about device overkill. I used to be one of those double hip holster geeks: palm Vx on the left, sanyo 4900 on the right. The treo solved this, and now I just keep it in my pocket.

Going back to two devices again bugs me a bit, especially the idea of walking down the streets listening to the iPod, then getting a phone call on the Treo and juggling wires.

Any advice, solutions, enlightening experiences?
    - ag47
    No good advice here...I sold my Ipod to a friend the day I bought my treo!

I do not miss my Ipod...but it was nice to have all of my MP3's on one device always. Just carrying around one device is worth the sacrifice to me, plus I love the external speaker capability of my T600.

Brian
    WAY down the line, there's more than a good chance that the Treo will trump the iPod, especially if the Treo's internal ram and/or SD/MMC cards bypass the 1 gigabyte amount. That'll take some time for sure; here's hoping PalmOne is still around by then!
    I mainly use my treo's mp3 function for mp3 ringers. When I want to listen to music, I use my ipod. I use isync and the entourage conduit to keep both devices in perfect sync. For me there is no problem.
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    My ipod has over 11 gig of music, i don't think my treo can hold that much. All my music in one spot, it's great.
    I am a mac user, so I cannot listen to audible on a treo, only an ipod, part of some apple agreement with audible (gives the PC people something more that they can rag on about apple, I guess).

But besides that, it is so much easier using the ipod as an mp3/mp4 player, while you are driving, running or working out especially, you can just feel for the buttons, on a treo you have to stop what you are doing, look at the screen, sometimes pull out your stylus.... As for driving, I have an ipod mount on my car dash, I simply take it off my belt clip, clip it to the dash plug it in and let my steering wheel controls do the rest, it makes changing tracks as easy as using the cd player.

Also, if you lug around multi-gig bulky data files, like I do, between home and office, having the ipod is really a godsend. I do not have to take my laptop back and forth to work, just my ipod, while I am listening to some cool music.

I do not think that treo will ever trump the ipod, even if multi-Gig cheap fast sd cards do eventually come out (and I have no doubt they will). The advantage of the ipod is the firewire transfer cable (or USB2 for the PC people). That way, I can work until the last 5 minutes of work, then transfer my 5 gb electronic briefcase to my ipod and then be out of there on my way home. Do you wonder how long 5 Gb would take to transfer onto a treo, ....I do not even want to try to think about it, but you would be pulling an all nighter at work I am afraid.

Maybe if you do not have an ipod already, you will not notice the difference in what it can do, but if you already have one, it is certainly a keeper, in my book.
    I keep my ipod in this really cool case I got from Waterfield designs at sfbags.com. With this case the ipod does not look like a geeky tech device, and I just keep my treo in my pocket, no probs there.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    I am a mac user, so I cannot listen to audible on a treo, only an ipod, part of some apple agreement with audible (gives the PC people something more that they can rag on about apple, I guess).
    hey cellmatrix, you may be interested in this thread and the article it links to

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...es+treo+device

Apparently your Treo CAN be seen by iTunes, and I know audible.com is now compatible with iTunes so...
    - ag47
    thanks for this! It is not really easily found on the audible website, but I found it installed it and it works, great!
  10.    #10  
    np

that audible site actually does kinda suck. not well-organized at all
    - ag47
    havent used my ipode since a day or two after i got my treo.

sure i cant carry my whole music collection, but it isn't like i listen to the whole thing anyway.

i miss the remote of the ipod the most.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Personally, I've never understood what anyone does with 10 gigs of music. How much time do you really have on your hands? I mean, the capability is cool . . and the Ipod is a GREAT device . . but c'mon . . we all know that the most anyone actually ACTIVELY listens to is MAYBE 1 gig worth of music. I'd rather ALWAYS carry one device and occasionally have to swap out my music . . rather than ALWAYS carry two devices so that I can OCCASIONALLY listen to an obscure mp3 in my 9th gig of music files.
    Hi Ag,

I have 10 Gigs (8 Days) of music etc on my iPod, but I'm also a huge beleiver of convergence and most of the time carrying just one device that can do everything you need pretty well. Coincidentally my home stereo / 50 CD changer broke just prior to my getting the Treo. Here's what I did:

1. Dumped the entire home stereo and CD changer (which only held 50 of my CD's) and replaced the whole setup with my iPod. Also got 2 wireless speakers so I could listen to my music anywhere in the house.

2. Got a 512MB chip for the Treo. Made one folder of all my current 20-30 favorite songs. Made a second folder of another random 20-30 songs which I copy from iTunes new "Party Shuffle" feature. This way I always have my favorites and also have some variety. I plan to get another chip or two for a bigger library.

3. Still can grab the iPod out of it's dock for when I want EVERYTHING with me, which is not very frequent. Also it's available for when my wife wants to use it. Simply grab it fully charged when you need it, then drop it back in the dock and it becomes our home stereo system again.

4. Ordered a combo 2-1 Seidio http://store.treocentral.com/accesso...ew.php?a_id=48 which will automatically switch from music to telephone when calls come in.

5. My iPod had an FM transmitter to listen to music in my car, and I now use that with the Treo (using the cheapo Radio Shack adapter plug everyone mentioned).
    As a road warrior one of my main concerns is battery life. Using the T600 for music (on a day trip, e.g.,) would cause me to need to bring my external battery (almost as bulky as an ipod). In addition, I find it more valuable to save battery life for unexpected delays and the need to use pdanet.

Here's a scenario that's happend a few times to me over the past year or so that absolutely (in my case) would keep me from using T600 for music vs. mp3 player:
    1. Fly to east coast on day trip (used phone for to send/receive messages on way to airport, at the gate and before the plane pulls out)
    2. Go to client meeting (no time to charge)
    3. Go back to airport (running late for flight...no time to charge) use phone to get messages, make calls, check email, etc.
    4. Get on plane
    5. Chicago has bad weather (where I return to). Plane pulls from gate and we sit for 2 hours on the plane with ability to use laptops. Here is where I pull out my external battery and my laptop, connect to the office and get 2 hours of work done. If I had used my phone as an MP3 player, I wouldn't be able to use pdanet as I'd need it to keep my phone alive with my external battery on the way home.

The scenarios for needing battery life change (can't connect to the Internet at client's office during a demo...use pdanet).

Given how long it takes to charge the phone, I don't know how I could use the phone as an MP3 player during trips (guess I could buy another external battery, etc. but it seems like overkill with the ipod solution out there).
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    As a road warrior one of my main concerns is battery life. Using the T600 for music (on a day trip, e.g.,) would cause me to need to bring my external battery (almost as bulky as an ipod). In addition, I find it more valuable to save battery life for unexpected delays and the need to use pdanet. [...]
    Whenever I travel I bring along a portable USB charge cable. Just about anywhere I go there's always someone with a USB port I can convince to let me plug in for a while to get a charge. In an emergency even many stores nowadays use PC's as cash registers or in the backroom (that would take some sweet talking).

In your case you might want to consider one of those airline compatable charging cables or a combo charger for charging in a range of circumstances. Or to be really portable maybe one of those small 9-V adapters that lets you charge from any (V battery. The battery costs would add up over time though.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    But besides that, it is so much easier using the ipod as an mp3/mp4 player, while you are driving, running or working out especially, you can just feel for the buttons, on a treo you have to stop what you are doing, look at the screen, sometimes pull out your stylus....
    Actually, i feel exactly the opposite... i have a hard time using the ipod scroll wheel without looking at the screen, and the touch buttons on the 3G ipod don't give any feedback (and seem somewhat unresponsive to my callussed fingers ). anyway, i prefer the feedback of real buttons, so using the D-pad on my treo600 for pockettunes is actually easier to me than the ipod, when in the car. The ipod mini, though, as great buttons