Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 87
  1. #41  
    a refurb in that range should have been have been fixed, so probably not a "ticking time bomb". Then again, who knows...


    (edited because mobile forum cuts off posts )
    Last edited by ExtraOrdinaryJo; 07/22/2004 at 09:58 PM.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  2. #42  
    Sell your Treo600 NOW while prices are still high on Feebay. Then, when the Ace comes out, you'll be happy. I'm selling my 6 in late August.
    Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord your God with all of your heart. Seek his will in all you do and He will direct your paths.
  3. #43  
    Steaming pile of crap? That's a tad harsh, but I'm going on my 3rd 600 and had 2 300's.

    First 600 the earpiece stopped working, and I was lucky enough to get a brand new palmOne replacement. The palmOne replacement went nuts today, the touch-screen stopped working and it won't connect to Sprint. I have reset it every which way, no luck.

    I guess I really don't care as long as they keep replacing them. Kind of like a disposable Smartphone.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisutley
    Steaming pile of crap? That's a tad harsh, but I'm going on my 3rd 600 and had 2 300's.
    Do you understand the ridiculousness of this statement?
  5. #45  
    My Treo 600 is on Sprint, has an ESN in the "bad" range, and has lots of 3rd-party applications installed on it. I'm still on my first one and haven't had a bit of trouble with it in the eight months that I've owned it.

    Things that make you go "Hmmm".
    --Inspector Gadget

    "Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

    Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  6. #46  
    I owned a Sprint Treo 600 until the T-Mobile one came out then bought that and sold the Sprint one on eBay (for a profit). I had ZERO trouble with either of them.

    It makes me wonder if some of this has to do with how people treat them. I certainly treat my Treo as a $600 device. I'm not saying that there are no lemons, but I just wonder if people who have repeated hardware failures on multiple units are just too harsh on their Treo's.

    The 600 is a sturdy device, IMO. However, it does have physical vulnrabilities that a regular phone doesn't have but those are IMO unavoidable for a device like it. For example, it does have a large touch screen, which means that it cannot be covered by a hard piece of plastic like regular phones. It also has an opening for the SD card slot which could let more dirt in than the average phone. It is also heavier than the average phone, which makes falls potentially more damaging. So, the bottom line is that I think people should treat the Treo 600 with all this in mind.

    Having said all that, I think it is an amazingly sturdy piece of equipment and is of high quality given all of the above factors.
  7. #47  
    I've had four treo's and never had a problem with a unit that isn't refurbished.
  8. #48  
    You must have a bad phone... or maybe it is you provider...
    I use T-Mobile and have excellent voice, GPRS, and data function.
    This phone works in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and most places in the US except my local neighborhood (there it is worthless, but that is a T-Mobile coverage problem.)

    I did upgade my firmware a month ago (not sure of the affect)... and have loaded apps that allow the Treo to be my portable office with all my calendering, EMail, and other functions sync-ed to my office servers via GPRS. I love it.. it beats lugging a laptop around while traveling.

    Good Luck getting your to be stable.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    I owned a Sprint Treo 600 until the T-Mobile one came out then bought that and sold the Sprint one on eBay (for a profit). I had ZERO trouble with either of them.

    It makes me wonder if some of this has to do with how people treat them.
    Oh, please, you sound like a fool. Just because you lucked out and didn't have any issues with your Treo, don't assume that everyone else is an ***** who drops their phone in the toilet or something. Open your eyes, look around. Statistics show that these things aren't reliable. Period. With your logic, I bet you feel that Daewoo makes reliable cars as well?

    I take very good care of my things, especially a $600 phone. Don't think that since you've been in the clear that the rest of us are abusive morons.

    I certainly treat my Treo as a $600 device. I'm not saying that there are no lemons, but I just wonder if people who have repeated hardware failures on multiple units are just too harsh on their Treo's.
    Too harsh? Dude, it's a phone. You push buttons on it. We're not throwing the thing around the house. It's not like driving your mom's Honda Civic off road or something. Christ, I had one of those $20 Sharp electronic organizers for YEARS before I had any issues with it. And btw, it had MUCH better search features in the phone book than the Treo does. You could actually search by phone number in that.

    Having said all that, I think it is an amazingly sturdy piece of equipment and is of high quality given all of the above factors.
    Umm, a high quality $600 phone would...oh, I dunno...let me make phone calls when I have a full signal.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    Just to round out the last thought which is a sensible one... hard reset the phone, go to your user folder (usually c:\program files\handpring and you will see a folder with a name like your username (e.g. hubert green might be \hgreen)). Cut all the contents of the \Backup folder and move the file elsewhere. Now HotSync to your username again. All your personal data will return but not all the 'junk' and settings.

    If you still see problems, then the hardware may be faulty or the network is lousy in your area.
    Well, i just did this. I hard reset and synced none of my programs, just my contacts and such. It locked up while I scrolled through my address book and reset itself. It will do the same thing whether I'm in wireless mode or not.

    What # do I call for a replacement?
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by 155
    I've had four treo's and never had a problem with a unit that isn't refurbished.
    Then why have you had four?
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooldino
    Do you understand the ridiculousness of this statement?
    So what's your basic problem in life Kooldino? Just how big is that chip on your shoulder?
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyfur
    Guess I'm just lucky then, mine never gives me problems. OK, well maybe it does when I'm beta testing software, but resets are expected then and it's fine otherwise. Mine's GSM though, I wouldn't touch sprint with a 10ft pole. Had too many roommates/friends with absolutely horrible reception through them (not using treos).
    I hear you JFur,

    I hear all too often probs with the Sprint version and untold replacements...

    I too am with GSM and I have had one replacement - when I broke the screen. I am very happy with the reliability of my T600GSM, which is actually more reliable than my friends Nokia P800!

    The good news (IMO) is that people are leaving Sprint in droves. Personally, I could not do without a true global phone - it just doesn't make sense to me having a 'mobile' phone that just isn't that mobile. But if it works for some, good luck to ya
    www.gsmworld.com
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooldino
    Oh, please, you sound like a fool. Just because you lucked out and didn't have any issues with your Treo, don't assume that everyone else is an ***** who drops their phone in the toilet or something. Open your eyes, look around. Statistics show that these things aren't reliable. Period. With your logic, I bet you feel that Daewoo makes reliable cars as well?

    I take very good care of my things, especially a $600 phone. Don't think that since you've been in the clear that the rest of us are abusive morons.



    Too harsh? Dude, it's a phone. You push buttons on it. We're not throwing the thing around the house. It's not like driving your mom's Honda Civic off road or something. Christ, I had one of those $20 Sharp electronic organizers for YEARS before I had any issues with it. And btw, it had MUCH better search features in the phone book than the Treo does. You could actually search by phone number in that.



    Umm, a high quality $600 phone would...oh, I dunno...let me make phone calls when I have a full signal.
    Sheesh, what a classy guy. You're certainly over-reacting to everything I said. I called no one a fool. Step back and read what I said. You seem to have skipped the part where I said that I am not saying that there aren't any lemons and that I'm wondering if... So I never completely dismissed your troubles to begin with. Calling people who pose legitimate questions morons, etc reflects badly on your point of view.

    I have been using Palm devices since 1996 (when they came out) and I programmed them for a living for a number of years. So I am a very experienced Palm user and Palm community member. I have owned a Treo 180 and a 270 before the two I mentioned above. I also know several people with Treo's (270 and 600). My experience is similar to every other person I know. So, your assumption that I need to "look around" couldn't be farther from reality.

    It is well known that forums like this will have a show an over-representation of disgruntled customers because many people seek out places like this when they have problems, it's only natural. Most users don't ever log on to a forum like this. So don't base your impressions on this place alone.

    You're also mixing apples and oranges. If you don't like the search functions of the Treo you should have never bought a Palm device to begin with because they all search pretty much the same way out of the box.

    Finally, you have a phone that doesn't complete calls? Why the heck are you still hanging on to it?! Take it back and get a replacement or get your money. It's as simple as that.
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    So what's your basic problem in life Kooldino? Just how big is that chip on your shoulder?
    None. Life is going really well, honestly. Except for the fact that my phone is a huge pain in my *** that I just want to work properly.
  16. #56  
    I was at a sales conference in Las Vegas this week. There were about 400 of us there. I met 7 people that had Treo 600's and had time to talk with them about their experiences. All of them were on their first phone and were utterly amazed when I said I was on my 4th. They all loved the functionality. No one had any complaints.

    Any thoughts Unkooldino? And please spare me the insulting comments. Do like silverado said and take your phone back and get a new one if it's so problematic, but dont assume or try to force anyone else to believe they are all junk. Thats just not the case.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooldino
    Well, i just did this. I hard reset and synced none of my programs, just my contacts and such. It locked up while I scrolled through my address book and reset itself. It will do the same thing whether I'm in wireless mode or not.

    What # do I call for a replacement?
    Just hard reset and MANUALLY add some contacts (bogus, who cares). Do you still have this issue? If yes, get it replaced, if not, then consider that your data itself may be correct. Stranger things have happened.

    Suggestion: Rather than making assumptions, calling people names and whining , perhaps you might try to get help to resolve your issues rather than trying to get everyone (FROM AN ENTHUSIASTS FORUM) to hop on your band-wagon. Just my opinion, take it or leave it.

    Flame on...
    -Joe
    Last edited by ExtraOrdinaryJo; 08/06/2004 at 08:53 PM.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    I was at a sales conference in Las Vegas this week. There were about 400 of us there. I met 7 people that had Treo 600's and had time to talk with them about their experiences. All of them were on their first phone and were utterly amazed when I said I was on my 4th. They all loved the functionality. No one had any complaints.

    Any thoughts Unkooldino? And please spare me the insulting comments. Do like silverado said and take your phone back and get a new one if it's so problematic, but dont assume or try to force anyone else to believe they are all junk. Thats just not the case.
    I have had a similar experience. I know about 20 people with Treo 600's. Two of us are on our second one (including me). I had the network search issue on Sprint, took it to a Sprint store, they tested it and handed me a brand new phone. My friend dropped his down four flights of stairs....go figure, the flimsy hunk 'o junk didn't survive the fall.
    Of the rest of the people I know iwth Treo's, the only complaints are generally surrounding having to buy 3rd party apps to gain some basic functionality.....but that doesn't make a single one of them love this device any less.

    If someone has this many issues I recommend they get a replacement, or a nokia "dumbphone".

    -Joe
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Sheesh, what a classy guy. You're certainly over-reacting to everything I said. I called no one a fool. Step back and read what I said. You seem to have skipped the part where I said that I am not saying that there aren't any lemons and that I'm wondering if... So I never completely dismissed your troubles to begin with. Calling people who pose legitimate questions morons, etc reflects badly on your point of view.
    You nicely insinuated that a lot of the problems (ie, mine) are user error, which kind of insults my intelligence.

    I have been using Palm devices since 1996 (when they came out) and I programmed them for a living for a number of years. So I am a very experienced Palm user and Palm community member. I have owned a Treo 180 and a 270 before the two I mentioned above. I also know several people with Treo's (270 and 600). My experience is similar to every other person I know. So, your assumption that I need to "look around" couldn't be farther from reality.
    Well, look around these forums. It seems like MOST members are at least on their second phone.

    It is well known that forums like this will have a show an over-representation of disgruntled customers because many people seek out places like this when they have problems, it's only natural.
    Agreed.

    You're also mixing apples and oranges. If you don't like the search functions of the Treo you should have never bought a Palm device to begin with because they all search pretty much the same way out of the box.
    I'm not saying i don't like the feature, but I'm just pointing out that it could have been much better with minimal effort.

    Finally, you have a phone that doesn't complete calls? Why the heck are you still hanging on to it?! Take it back and get a replacement or get your money. It's as simple as that.
    I've been trying to. If I call Palm One, a recording tells me to call sprint. Then sprint tells me to call palm one. Is there a secret number that works?
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Any thoughts Unkooldino?
    Wow, what remarkable wit.

    And please spare me the insulting comments.
    One way guy, eh?

    Do like silverado said and take your phone back and get a new one if it's so problematic,
    I've been trying.

    but dont assume or try to force anyone else to believe they are all junk. Thats just not the case.
    It would be tough for you to argue that they're not junk. Overall, I'd be willing to bet that the RMA rate of the 600 is much higher than your average phone OR pda.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions