Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm looking for a utility that forces me to type a password every once in a while (e.g. once per day) to prevent the Treo from locking itself. So if I lose theTreo, whoever finds it won't be able to browse my data indefinitely. Is there an app like that available? Thanks,
    Barc
    download treohelper. it's free. i'm pretty sure if you lose your treo, you send a code via SMS and it locks up. i use it for fetching snappermail when new mail arrives, but this it's cool that you can lock it on demand --remotely!
    Quote Originally Posted by barcolounger
    I'm looking for a utility that forces me to type a password every once in a while (e.g. once per day) to prevent the Treo from locking itself. So if I lose theTreo, whoever finds it won't be able to browse my data indefinitely. Is there an app like that available? Thanks,
    Barc
    I'm in the process of demoing "OnlyMe". Here's the website: OnlyMe The author was very responsive when I sent him a question. He also has a resource website FILLED with various links to security applications. He obviously has great confidence in his product as he gives links to all of his competitors. See here.

The program itself makes you enter a password when you use your palm. You can set it so it only asks you if you haven't used it in X number of seconds, minutes, or even hours. There should be enough in there to get you to do it at least once a day.

Hope this helps,

Louis
    There were a number of threads on TC comparing security apps. You would benefit from doing a search.

For what it's worth, I highly recommend OnlyMe. It's bug free and secure and Alex Johnson is very attentive to customer feedback.

I would avoid PDA Defense.

I recommend Cradle Robber. If you want to test CR, visit www.mytreo.net because the most recent beta is available there in the download area. The developer also has a thread.

Good luck testing the apps.

Cheers
    Last edited by rosenft; 09/06/2004 at 03:30 PM.
    I'll throw in my two bits for mSafe by Montionapps. Snarfed from their website:

Lock your Treo with a special SMS message
    Lock your Treo when the phone is turned off (wireless mode is off), when the device is reset or SIM card removed.
    Erase all your information and data on the Treo or SD card with a special SMS message
    Lock your Treo when the SD card is removed
    Disable SD card when Treo is locked, or leave current SD card operational but disable the insertion of a new one
    Receive confirmation SMS message after Treo is locked to the number lock request is sent from and/or to another, user configurable, number.

Hammered it pretty extensively and performs as advertised.
    Why would you avoid PDA Defense? Works great for me, except the card encryption (it seems like NO card encryption works on the Treo600).
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=50846
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=49227
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=49229

also checkout mSafe 3.0
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=52249
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    You could also try GridLock from www.pdabusiness.com. When you turn on the device, it displays a grid of blank squares, five across & five down. You have to touch the squares and turn them solid in a pattern of your choice in order to proceed. There's a free version available.
    I wish they would update GridLock. It's very cool but conflicts with everything under the sun.

mSafe is neat but not real security. You can circumvent by turning off the phone, performing a warm reset and doing a google on how to get around built in security.

PDA Defense has head monster bugs on the T600. Unless they quietly fixed them, it's an avoid. I lost data testing the app.

OnlyMe and Cradle Robber are the way to go. Cradle Robber is being activey updated with new features. Be sure to test the newest one in the MyTreo.Net download area. Palmgear has an out of date copy.
    I guess everything currently available is some sort of a compromise. I choose mSafe because it at least gives you a chance to wipe your Treo AND SD card if lost. OnlyMe and it's ilk are actually the easiest to beat in my configuration. I have my SD card with Backupman on it installed in the Treo at all times. So with OnlyMe, all a person has to do is a hard reset and restore. mSafe at least attempts to address that. I guess I'll take my chances with my Treo getting lost and a technically savvy bad guy finding it before I can shoot off an SMS that wipes everything.
    mSafe formatting the card doesnt do much for security. You can recover the data with just some software bought at CompUSA. It needs to do a bit-wipe or you should have your data encrypted, preferrably both.

I use:
    PDA Defense
    mSafe
    LockMe
    LaunchThis
    Botzam Backup

I also have many booby traps set up all over the place. Its easy to think your launching a regular app/game and end up locking the device. The great thing about PDA Defense is that it responds to the standard lock mechanism, so apps like mSafe and disguised apps can activate its advanced functions.

PDA Defense is set to bit-wipe RAM after 3 bad attempts, and is in stealth mode (looks almost exactly like the standard lock screen). It encrypts a few databases like address book when locked, and is set to bit-wipe many databases when wiped.

mSafe is set to lock when the SD card is removed, and all of the SMS options. I would send it a "Lock and Wipe Card" command if I thought there was a chance of getting it back (so they can read the owner's text on the lock screen). Note that I do NOT enable the "Disable when locked" SD Card replacement option (see below).

LockMe is set to auto lock once a day (actually night), since PDA Defense cant do that itself.

LaunchThis is set to "Disable AutoRun on Card Insertion" so the person could not stick a card in with Start.prc (or whatever) and copy the contents of RAM back to the card. mSafe can do this but if you enable it, I dont think the the card wipe will work if the person ejects/inserts the card since it will not be mounted (note that ejecting the card would lock the device).

Even after all of that, the important databases in RAM (address book etc.) are encrypted by PDA Defense when locked anyway. Furthermore, truly sensitive data should be in a seperate app of your choice (there are a million) that has very strong encryption and a long password.

Botzam Backup is a card backup app that has encryption. Ive seen some bad reviews on it in the past but it has been stable through 2 recoveries for me.

EDIT:
    RescoViewer (a picture viewer) can encrypt pictures. I secure my family photos etc. since they are on the card.

For personal voice recordings, I use Audacity. It can create very small files so I can easily keep many of them in RAM where they are more secure. I have SoundRec easily accessible, and its set to record high quality to the card. I havent had a need for it yet but it could come in handy for things like quickly capturing sounds to put in my keyboard (musical one).
    Last edited by ThirdType; 06/15/2004 at 06:20 PM. Reason: more info
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
  11.    #11  
    I'm not too worried about my Treo falling into the hands of a sophisticated techie. A solution that keeps the average joe out of my data is fine. And it seems like there are plenty of choices for that. Thanks,
    Barc
    I have tried all of the above. MSafe didn't provide total security though not bad. Grid-Lock - not a bad program, but the youngest got through it faster than I could brush my teeth. PDA Defense - worked great for one day and then after that, not at all. OnlyMe - a great program - the only problem with it is that on my Treo 600 it wanted to light the screen off and on throughout the day. Teal Lock - not a problem at all with this. I purchased both OnlyMe and TealLock. Support from the author's is very good.

TreoHelper - a great utility that I have used since the Treo 300. SMS stuff and locking - works very well.

I also use Launch This - it keeps the file manager from displaying when the SD card is inserted. Really nice.

Botzam Backup - didn't hold up to BackupManager or BackupBuddy.
    Cradle Robber 1.8 was released today. The update contains some key Treo 600 changes, includng five way nav support, ability to detect when you're on a call, San Disk memory card security etc.

Cheers
    Cradle Robber 1.8 was released today. The update contains some key Treo 600 changes, includng five way nav support, ability to detect when you're on a call, San Disk memory card security etc.

Cheers
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I also like OnlyMe, but it also turns on my Treo's screen quite often. Does anyone know a way to prevent OnlyMe from continually turning on the Treo 600's screen?

Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    I have tried all of the above. MSafe didn't provide total security though not bad. Grid-Lock - not a bad program, but the youngest got through it faster than I could brush my teeth. PDA Defense - worked great for one day and then after that, not at all. OnlyMe - a great program - the only problem with it is that on my Treo 600 it wanted to light the screen off and on throughout the day. Teal Lock - not a problem at all with this. I purchased both OnlyMe and TealLock. Support from the author's is very good.
    Some program conflicts with it to keep it from operating properly. Teal Lock works perfectly. If you can get it to keep from turning the screen on, you will find it a good security program.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by badler
    I also like OnlyMe, but it also turns on my Treo's screen quite often. Does anyone know a way to prevent OnlyMe from continually turning on the Treo 600's screen?
    There is a way to prevent the Treo 600's screen from lighting up: Engage "Instant Power Lock" -- that does the trick (if you're having this problem.)
  18. Rab
    Why not just use the security features that come with the 600?? I know it's not great but would be a problem for someone not familiar with Palm??
    Gosh there is a lot here. First, the builtin security is very erratic at the best. It does not function reliably at all. I purchased OnlyMe and it is a great program EXCEPT the Treo 600 (Sprint subspecies) turned on and off many times when it was suppose to be off. Never could get it to function properly with OnlyMe. Before OnlyMe, I did PDADefense and it worked great for one day, one day only (like a sale). After the one day only, it turned on and off like OnlyMe. I then tried Onlyme. I then tried Teal Lock and have had no problems with it at all. No problems. I also use TreoHelper for its SMS locking feature - that's worth a bundle there. I also have Cradle Robber - that one is a good program to keep it in its place. I also tried Grid Lock and my youngest got through it before I could tap out code I entered - not a good way to start off. So, happy hunting and before you buy, make sure it does everything you want. OnlyMe looks good and if it did not turn on/off constantly, I would have stuck with it. Ben
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmf
    I guess everything currently available is some sort of a compromise. I choose mSafe because it at least gives you a chance to wipe your Treo AND SD card if lost. OnlyMe and it's ilk are actually the easiest to beat in my configuration. I have my SD card with Backupman on it installed in the Treo at all times. So with OnlyMe, all a person has to do is a hard reset and restore. mSafe at least attempts to address that. I guess I'll take my chances with my Treo getting lost and a technically savvy bad guy finding it before I can shoot off an SMS that wipes everything.
    I'm an OnlyMe and BackupMan user too and share your concern about the security hole with SD card. I contacted Bits 'n Bolts software about that and they replied that SD card encryption was on their ToDo list for BackupMan v2.x, but would not release any information on a probable release date.

So for now I keep the SD cards with my backups separate from my Treo.

ERic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast