1.    #1  
    Check this story out:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Jun2.html

Sony is dumping Palm and dumping the Clie in the US. Too bad. I want PalmOne to thrive and developers to keep writing good apps for me. It looks like Palm may not survive after all.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I realize its not good news, but with the Treo 600 the Palm OS is out is at the leading edge of the "Smartphone" wave and even with Sony if they didn't migrate to the newer devices it would have been down hill. BTW, who knows, maybe Sony will use the plam OS in future smartphones.....
  3.    #3  
    It's not like I am married to Palm, but my issue is this: I have purchased many Palm programs, I know how it works, and I don't want to learn a new OS.

My dilemma is similar to me switching to Linux or Apple. I know and understand Windows, have invested money in Windows, and don't want to spending the time or money learning a new OS, even if the new OS has some marginal benefits for me.

Here's hoping that Palm sticks around for a long time and Sony comes back on board with Palm smartphones!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    The loser might be PalmSource, at best. PalmOne, as I have said before, might choose MobileWindows for its OS format in the future (although KRamsauer might disagree with me on this). So the next Treo could be using Windows or Symbian OS. My point is, may the best OS wins!
    I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    -Sir Winston Churchill.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I don't see this as a sign of the death of the Palm OS at all. I see it much more as a sign of the death of the PDA. Now that the Treo exists (and the MSoft smart phones are getting closer to hitting the mark) there's no real reason for a standalone PDA to exist, except for the small geek niche that's always used PDAs. Like Steve Jobs said, attend a meeting at your average office, and one or two people may have a Palm, but everyone has a cell phone.

The PDA never really caught on with the general public. And it never will.

Once again, I think Jeff Hawkins was right on the money, shifting focus away from PDAs, and concentrating instead on communicators. Eventually, I can see my mother wanting a communicator. She was never going to want a Palm.

If the Palm OS were the problem for Sony, and PocketPC were such a better option, Sony would have simply developed PocketPC CLIEs. Instead, they dropped PDAs altogether and chose to concentrate those resources on the Sony-Ericson smart phones. The same thing Handspring did when it killed the Visor. The same thing Palm has started to do now that it bought Handspring. The same thing Dell and HP will eventually do.

Now that Handspring has demonstrated that one device can be a great PDA and a great phone at the same time, there's no advantage to making these items separate anymore.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Yeah, the market for stand alone pda's is shrinking and quickly being eclipsed by the converged smartphone market. The problem for PalmSource then is to somehow find a way to encourage faster PalmOS smartphone growth to overcome the declining pda market. This is the same problem for PalmOne as the Treo must take precidence over it's pda lines. I don't know if PalmSource last long enough to make the transition though. Sony made up 15% of PalmSources total revenues and with their exit, they now have to rely on nearly 90% of their revenues on PalmOne...ineffect the split of the company last year has effectly been reversed. Palmource desperately need another presitegious big name lisencee to supplant PalmOne...preferably in the mobile handset arena. Sony Ericsson would be a perfect fit, but I don't know if that will happen. In the mean time, I guess we'll have to settle for the Ningo Birds... UGh... things don't look to good..

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec
    Like Steve Jobs said, attend a meeting at your average office, and one or two people may have a Palm, but everyone has a cell phone. The PDA never really caught on with the general public. And it never will.
    AMEEEEEEEN.

Kudos for a very informed and intelligent post.

But don't forget Steve Jobs is also very critical of the input method on PDA's. Writing another script language was always a slower method of data input and when you're mobile - you need to be efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by timmins
    AMEEEEEEEN.

Kudos for a very informed and intelligent post.

But don't forget Steve Jobs is also very critical of the input method on PDA's. Writing another script language was always a slower method of data input and when you're mobile - you need to be efficient.
    Umm...yeah, thanks Steve Jobs for stating the obvious! That's not rocket science. The problem is that no one (including Mr Jobs himself) have not been able to create the perfect convergence of pda and phone to fill that void. Jeff Hawkins and Handspring it seems were the ones who cames closest so far...but they can't rest on the laurels. The fact that the pda industry is declining and smartphones/pda-phones are overtaking it is not in dispute. The problem for P1 is that can it make the transition to take advantage of increasing smartphone sales faster than the increase in declining pda sales. In addition, can PalmSource survive long enough and can it sign up more smartphone lisencees to take advantage of the rise of smartphone sales....

It seems more than ever, the entire Palmone economy is dependent on how this and next gen Treo fair in the market. That cannot be good for PalmSource and is why I previously stated they need to get another big name lisencee like SE etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Umm...yeah, thanks Steve Jobs for stating the obvious! That's not rocket science.
    Um, he has said this since the Newton days. I wouldn't say it's rocket science but he's been right since the get go... and my piece of info is only a fraction of his true diatribe. However, many leaders in technology are way off... Microsoft's Bob, Apple's Lisa, NeXt, 3Com's Audrey. It's almost rare to find a leader that knows what they are talking about.

There's more that he is correct on... I mean, take for instance how simplicity sells (iPod) even at inflated prices.
    I don't quite buy the "death of the PDA" explanation for Sony's departure. I think it's the Peter Principle: Sony rose to the level of their incompetence. They pushed the Palm platform so far in so little time -- 27 models in 3 years! -- that consumers held off on buying the good model today for the better model tomorrow. Rumors of killer products down the pipe of hurt companies like Apple, but with Sony you didn't even need rumors; you just had to look at your watch and know that some uber-PDA was just around the corner. What buy VGA camera model when you could expect a 1.2 MP camera model in 3 months?

mrjoec wrote:
    f the Palm OS were the problem for Sony, and PocketPC were such a better option, Sony would have simply developed PocketPC CLIEs. Instead, they dropped PDAs altogether and chose to concentrate those resources on the Sony-Ericson smart phones. The same thing Handspring did when it killed the Visor. The same thing Palm has started to do now that it bought Handspring. The same thing Dell and HP will eventually do.

I totally agree, but it should be pointed out that Sony did this in the US, not in Europe or Japan. My theory is that mobile computing is more popular outside of the US due to the higher ratio of bicycle, bus and light rail commuting, where laptops are too cumbersome. This would also explain why Japanese and Europeans send more text messages each day than emails. For Americans, who are more likely to have a car, laptops are much easier to carry around, and PDAs become redundant.

But whatever the reason, it's sad to see Sony leave this market space. I'll miss those Clies.
    > ...but it should be pointed out that Sony did this in the US,
    > not in Europe or Japan...

Sony did it in Europe, too.

Those who bet would bet that they also will do it in Japan.

They like their proprietary OS. They're gonna use it.
    Sony did it in Europe, too.

Didn't know that. I stand corrected.