1.    #1  
    Our company recently installed a Blackberry Enterprise server. Naturally, staff are falling over themselves to trade their mobile phone for a Blackberry handheld.

My boss received the first handheld as part of the User Acceptance testing. The best features and possibly the big selling points are the (secure) push-email and the appointment functions...

...but, I am quite disappointed in the overall product.

There's a possibility to send attachments (only Word it seems!) and these appear almost like squashed JPEGs - they are virtually unreadable and you can't edit a document, attach it to an email and send it - vital for the corporate jet-setter.

The top of the range model is big (about the size of a Treo180) - it will not fit in my shirt pocket and the supplied belt clip is as big as the unit. The form and build looks a bit cheap - almost like a V-Tech toy (or a Treo180).

Considering Blackberry 'invented' this type of thumboard, it isn't even as good as a Treo180 (let alone a 600). The keys are nicely spaced but very flat - it's easy to hit multiple keys at the same time.
    Something went really wrong with the backlight. When it's turned on, the four keys on the far right do not light up at all (it's like this on all of our units).

The screen is big, quite clear and better than the Treo.

This post is not meant to run down Blackberry - on the contrary, from all of the things I had heard about Blackberry, I was expecting their handheld to crush my Treo into oblivion. They seem to have a great email solution but the hardware has a way to go - strange considering that they have produced so many models.

I can't wait until we receive our Blackberry-PalmOS client
    www.gsmworld.com
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Tell the powers that be to purchase the MetaMessage Enterprise Server add-on for the BES. It greatly enhances the functionality of the Blackberry handheld.
  3.    #3  
    We have METAmessage wireless... it does give additional functionality but you can still only read attachments.
    www.gsmworld.com
    What you and the desicoion makers in your company may consider is that the Mailpush may be sent over a secure connection but that secure connection includes the blackberry server in uk which is handling all the traffic as some kind of proxy. And If I were a company decision maker I would never allow to let all my company communication be filed by an unkown foreign proxy which addtionaly does the same for a bunch of other maybe competing companys.

The Idea of Blackberry with it's Push Functionality is good the Solution is not especialy in the aspect of security.

Robert
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Robert. I hear you... I work for a Swiss bank and I'm not sure how all this relates to the 'Swiss Banking Secrecy Laws', which forbid the transfer of information across boarders (needlessly, anyway).

Saying this, from my understanding, the Blackberry Enterprise Server does all this and sits above our Lotus Domino server - there is no 'middleman'. The server compresses and encrypts the email before it is pushed to the wireless device.
    Last edited by nzmoko; 05/27/2004 at 04:09 AM.
    www.gsmworld.com
    Your company should consider GoodLink. Its a much better solution.
    I am avoiding Blackberry like the plague.

The LAST thing I want is always-on instant messaging, whereever I am...

It's hard enough getting time for real life as it is.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Your company should consider GoodLink. Its a much better solution.
    We are looking at several solutions... basically, we want DataViz type of functionality:

Receive email with attachment (Word/Excel)
    Save and Edit attachment
    Send email with new attachment

...is this possible with GoodLink ?
    www.gsmworld.com
    I can see why a company might want its employees to be able to get and to reply to work emails at any time but surely the employees as people with lives outside work might not want that. My Treo is mine not my companies and picks up email from home address not work email address - god forbid my clients get my mobile phone and email details!
    Just wondering. My (small) company is switching to Nextel (NOOOOOOOO!) and my Treo 600 has to go away (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!). I'm looking for the Blackberry to lessen the blow. Let me know your thoughts and what provider/version of Blackberry you have.
    Thanks
    the 7510 has a speaker hone
    and thats the iden model for nextel (in dah states) and mike (in canada)
    T6 Rules. My company installed Synchrologic on exchange and there is an email client on my Treo. It can push the emails or you can sync like you do with your desktop and Outlook. Works great. And I keep my Treo.
    If you want a PUSH email solution for the Treo 600 (the device for voice and data), you should check out the SEVEN solutions. Sprint and Cingular sell the behind-the-firewall and hosted enterprise solutions currently and SEVEN also has an advisory council which offers free use of the software.

Check it out:
    http://www.seven.com/products/Enterp...ryCouncil.html

The SEVEN service supports the Treo and other devices as well as multi-carriers (so you can service multiple locations)...
    Blackberry is horrible. It requires a cradle, provides only email and calendar sync with the enterprise server, and their network is unreliable.

Good Technology http://www.good.com has the best solution for Exchange/Outlook sync by far.

We looked at all the solutions available including Seven technology and Good had the best solution.

They provide full wireless 2-way sync with Outlook including email, calendar, contacts, tasks and notes. No other solution does this.

The speed is amazing, any changes made on either the Outlook client or the Treo sync within 20 seconds.

No cradle or desktop software is required for the device except for the initial installation which can be done at a management station. This means much fewer headaches for the IT staff as they don't have to maintain desktop software and hotsync issues.

Attachments come across seamlessly and aren't distorted.

The server is easy to install and all communication is done via SSL so it's secure.

There's really cool things you can do using the Good technology. For example it can display public folders on your Exchange server. We have our company directory in a Public Folder. This folder is available to the Treo user so they have the full company directory updated in real-time at their fingertips. This includes not only phone numbers, but email and street addresses. When someone receives a call from someone on the Public folder phone list, their name is displayed using caller-id and the Public folder info.

It just doesn't get any better than this solution.
    Regarding a couple of comments made...

You state that the Blackberry is about as big as a Treo 180. Actually, they are bigger than the Treo 180/270/300. I don't like this form-factor at all. IMO, their best design was their original design. It was wider, but far shorter (due to it's low-height display), sizing it similar to a pager. You also criticized the thumbboard. Again, their original thumbboard was wonderful. Because the device was wider, the thumbboard was larger and more comfortable. The original design also placed the scroll wheel in such a way that you could easily manipulate it with your right thumb. The new design puts the scroll wheel on the side, which totally screws up the usability.

IMO, what they should have done when they wanted to add a higher res screen and phone functionality was something like my mockup (see my sig). Their new designs are a step backwards from what made them so popular in the first place.

I'll just add that RIM knows email, but that's about all they know. Technology has evolved and, IMO, that's not enough. Their OS/GUI is sorely lacking when performing more advanced functions (e.g., web browsing).

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Big downsides of RIMs:
    1. On Notes - email read/deleted on the handheld still show up in the inbox as unread.
    That really blows after a week out of the office!
    2. Phone UI is horrible.
    3. No touch screen. Ugh!
    4. No SD expansion, No software!
    Good points.

Downside of Good - only support Treo 600 and Exchange/Outlook
    Upside of RIM - supports Domino/Notes
    Downside of RIM - only supports RIM devices (ok not for long)
    Upside of SEVEN - truly supports Palm, PPC, Symbian, Smartphone, J2ME devices _and_ Domino/Notes, Exchange/Outlook, IMAP4

As a single user, you might not mind RIM or Good, as an enterprise with all types of mobile users you want SEVEN.
    I had a look into the pros and cons of Blackberrys compared to other devices, (treo 600, XDA, etc) all of which were offered with a push email system to the company I was working for. They/we had been using Blackberrys for a while, but wanted to see what else was out there. They went for the Blackberry in the end because it was so much easier to support from a corporate point of view. All of the Treo's extra features are great if your a techie user, but for the 'average' corporate user they just add to the confusion, and cause more headaches for the support department. All most of the users wanted was to be able to see if they had email and briefly scan through it to see if there was anything important. If they saw they had a large attachment coming through they'd pull out their laptops or phone their secretaries.

From a corporate and IT dept point of view I'd say that if a couple of devices were being rolled out to relitively technical users, then a smartphone like the treo would be great. If a larger number was being rolled out to the average user, go for the Blackberry every time.