1.    #1  
    Our Treos can already match a caller's id against names in our contacts...

Wouldn't it be great if the Treo could announce the name of the contact who was calling us?

That is, as well as the midi ringer tone, you would hear the Treo say "Peter is calling you".

(I have used Lightwav to do something like this. But Lightwav requires me to have a separate announcement wav/m3 file for every individual in my contacts list, which is cumbersome. It would be better if Treo just read the name of the contact through speech synthesis.)

What do you think?
    Using LightWav or CallShield with seperate mp3 makes much more sense. Creating a text-to-speech app would be a memory hog. Not sure if any of the GPS systems have a T2S engine already built for PalmOS that could be used.
    mapopolis has a text to speech engine that works on the treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by manielse
    Using LightWav or CallShield with seperate mp3 makes much more sense. Creating a text-to-speech app would be a memory hog. Not sure if any of the GPS systems have a T2S engine already built for PalmOS that could be used.
    ?!? Im sorry but I think its obvious that T2S would be much better than mp3s. Besides, a good T2S engine would be useful for many other things like reading your email and calendar events when they are due, etc. etc. Its a shame the mapopolis one hasnt gone anywhere with this. It wouldnt be that difficult to create an api and have other developers pass it text.
    Last edited by ThirdType; 05/07/2004 at 04:36 PM.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
  5.    #5  
    Creating separate mp3s for every person in the contact list, and then using Lightwav to sync them all up, is a MAJOR pain.

That is why I've only done it for the 5 people who most frequently call me.

A text to speech API would have to be a winner.

In the meantime I have Lightwav. (Which reminds me, I have to write to the author and ensure he doesn't auto-disable midis tones in his next release. I currently have a mid tone playing in the background, and a verbal announcement of the caller over the top, which is just what I want.)