1.    #1  
    Any mac users out there? This is completely off treo topics, but this is a tech community so I figured a great place to ask.
    Why can I not utilize some web based software on my IE 5.2 on my powerbook g4. I know this particular software is only written for IE. Shouldn't I then be able to use it IE? Or do you think when they say written for IEm they mean written for IE running on a PC?
    WHen I open up IE on Virtual mac, I can get it to function, but virtual mac i find to be bulky and slow!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Or insight to what is really going on here?
    Sorry, dunno why, but I imagine those are software-specific issues. What system are you running? Have you tried running the software in Safari or other browsers? Contact the software company.
    -mbd26
    I noticed that in some situations it has to do with Java Script. For example, playing online chess via Yahoo, you get a message that the Mac does not support that Java Script required by the site. Yet I was able to “force” a complete game by overriding that message, it works 85% of times. Contact the site as well as the software company.
    I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    -Sir Winston Churchill.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I don't know the details, but I definitely DO know that IE for the Mac and windows are NOT identical. I have also experienced some web based software that required IE on Virtual PC. While it is fine to contact the software developer, chances are you will just have to use it on Virtual PC.These sorts of things are, in my opinion, the "price" for enjoying the many benefits of the Mac.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the input!
    Funny you should say that. I have thought of buying another PC, because I need to use the platform for business software. But I just hate to do it. I am tired of the virus BS, crashing, locking up ect.
    I'm new to Mac, so just learning, but in a business enviornment, not so sure Mac is the wisest choice. Any input?
    Microsoft no longer supports IE 5.2 for the Mac. And the whole Java thing is what got Microsoft into many of its antitrust problems years ago. As far as I know they STILL do not distribute Java like they were ordered to do. The cease in developing IE for Mac is one piece to their solution. You can still download it but they have halted all development. The last release was 2 years ago. That is a long time in computer terms.

I would use Safari or something. Safari is nice because you can use the Safari Debugger to cloak your browser.

Safari Debugger 2.8

This will allow it to enter some sites that ban Mac based browsers.

Getting back to Internet Explorer; some Java based stuff will work with IE if you have Apple’s Java Virtual Machine, but if the site uses some obscure Windows only technology like Active X or DirectX… err… or whatever they are calling it now – you're out of luck.
  7.    #7  
    thanks for the input. Downloaded debugger but to no avail.
    Hersh,

Don't worry about Mac compatibility in the "business environment." A fallacy for 20 years that Macs are "great at graphics" but PCs "better at computering and business." Utter BS, Macs are better for everything. What do you use in business? Outlook? MS Office? Presentations? Everything is cross-platform these days, and with Rendevous even network issues no longer matter. Carry your Powerbook into the office with pride (and notice the jealous looks and furtive glances you'll get!)
    -mbd26
    Hit up www.macfixit.com for lots of info/support.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd26
    ...Carry your Powerbook into the office with pride (and notice the jealous looks and furtive glances you'll get!)
    Long Live the Mac!
    (And the funny thing is, someone posted a thread saying that Dell is innovative. It was in regard to Dell buying PalmOne. Obviously that person doesn't own a Mac.)
    I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    -Sir Winston Churchill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmoozer
    Long Live the Mac!
    (And the funny thing is, someone posted a thread saying that Dell is innovative. It was in regard to Dell buying PalmOne. Obviously that person doesn't own a Mac.)
    Dell is one of the LEAST innovative PC manufacturers out there. That is the main reason they are successful...they can undersell everyone else because little is spent on R&D. They follow trends and undersell...that is their innovation.

Now, while on the apple topic, I'd love to know how linux people can use the Treo600 in tethered mode for dialup, but OSX people need to buy 3rd party software. SOMEONE has to have figured this out by now...

Oh, and to stay on the thread topic completely, if Safari doesn't work, try mozilla's firefox. I find that if safari wont work, firefox will.