Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Briefing.com put out a rumor this morning that Dell may be buying PalmOne.....I certainly hope this doesn't happen. Dell will destroy all the innovations and creativity at PalmOne.

http://www.briefing.com/GeneralConte...ailySectorWrap
    Definitely a possibility, but it doesn't appear to be all that beneficial. Dell is not an innovator. They are a commoditizer. PLMO is the opposite.

I don't want to say "it won't happen" because I do see some logic, just that it would be a different tack for Dell.
    UGH...I hope that doesn't happen...that would definitely suck!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Ack. Please no!
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Stock up 12% today on the rumor. Not bad!

When you don't have the pull for securing enough screens to keep up with demand, a Dell deal may make more sense then you realize. I don't think Dell would hesitate to improve the Treo/Smartphone using the most up to date technologies. They may not innovate but they drive it.
    how well is Dell doinf with their PPC devices? Arent they still in low single digits eventhough they are selling low cost devices?

Will they still sell PPC if they purchase palm one?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    DELL is a PC shop (as in uSoft). The "DELL rumor" has gone around before. It didn't fly then, it won't now (as someone noted elsewhere, the more likely "buyout rumor" is some Taiwanese Big Guy buying PalmOne (the Zire is an ASUStek product, for example)).

Was interesting stock-price-wise (note - the stock price was also helped considerably by anticipation of a same-day presentation by the PalmOne CEO - that presentation, however, was pretty much a non-event).
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Definitely a possibility
    I love this phrase.
    Still waiting for Apple, Inc. to buy PalmOne
    I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    -Sir Winston Churchill.
    Quote Originally Posted by snerdy
    I love this phrase.
    I'm going to be a politician someday.
    I'm going to be a politician someday.
    You already are
    I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    -Sir Winston Churchill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmoozer
    You already are
    You take that back! I did nothing to invite such slander!
    You take that back! I did nothing to invite such slander!
    Spoken like a true blue blood politician.
    The stock jumped 12% yesterday solely based on the Dell rumor. It has never moved prior as a result of any previous Dell rumor. Dell is as likely a buyer as any for a variety of logical reasons.
    Might actually be good for palm....deep pockets...efficient manufacturing...etc. might make palm units even more competitive.
    In the food chain of innovation I see the Treo evolution this way. First there was Handspring: The creative and risk-taking company. Then There was PalmOne: Creative enough but taking less risks. And then there was Dell: Money and simplicity are everything while innovation and risk-taking take backstage. Treo is doomed. Unless Apple comes along.
    And what the heck Dell is going to do with its PPC/Windows Mobile gizmos?
    Hmm, Dell could be a good thing but I would be very worried that Palm devices would become more like M$ devices.

I cant help but wonder when stocks jump due to rumors if someone started it just to make $$$ off the situation.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    That's why I generally don't trust rumors. In this case even less so since I seem to remember Mr. Dell making some negative comments about Palm in the past. Of course, in the business world, money talks
    I wouldn't get to hung up about the MS/PPC factor. Dell is acutely aware of the future and is very hungry for ways to expand their product offerings and channels.

I hardly think Dell is pleased with their 2% share in the stagnant PDA market and a 0% share of a growing smartphone market. A market which is driven almost exclusively by carrier agreements and for which Dell has none.

As for Dell and innovation I'll say it again. They don't create it but they do drive it. Under a Dell scenario it would be unlikely that low rez. screens, missing BT or cheap camera inclusions would be issues.

People please try to go outside of the box. It is how great companies like Dell think.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 05/07/2004 at 12:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTREOB
    People please try to go outside of the box. It is how great companies like Dell think.
    Thinking outside the box: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast