Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ack! i love this exclamation. lol.

anyway, deep pockets, but much less innovation.. mmmm... i dont know if i like the sound of it.

ill bet it ends up to be just a rumor.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Definitely a possibility.
    Could be a new Oxymoron of the Day!

If you think this is funny ... there are banners on lightposts in Miami stating that Haiti is celebrating its "200th Anniversary of its Bicentennial."

Next time I'm down there I will try and get a photo. Or perhaps gfunk can get us one!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    It may be more accurate to classify Dell as a low R&D company, but their PC's are pretty advanced. For instance, they have had DVD+RW drives available for desktops and notebooks well ahead of most everybody, except maybe Sony. On top of that, they are as Linux friendly as anybody, may have something to do with Dell having fewer monetary connections to MS than most of the other PC makers. I believe Dell has stronger ties to Intel.

That said, I actually like PalmOne as a handheld/smartphone pure play. However, I can see some advantages to a larger company, with deeper pockets, buying them. Hmmmmm, other than Apple, or Dell, who do you think would make a good buyer?

Just wonderin'.

Gargoyle
    I'm a bit surprised by the hostility to the possibility of a Dell acquisition. The business of building PC boxes has not been one of the most innovation-intense ones for a while, but Dell has at least stayed on the cutting edge. Having owned Dells at home for 13 years and run or supervised Dell-based PC LANs of 35 to over 1,000 workstations for a long time, product quality and customer support responsiveness has always been very good to outstanding. Plus, as someone else pointed out, one would expect them to have the market clout to get as many screens as they need and as much manufacturing capacity as they need to get all the Treos to market that anyone wants. Altogether, Dell would seem to be a good choice to address many if not all of the most common complaints on this board. Apart from the romantic notion of an independent PalmOne in a Quixotic crusade against the 800 pound gorillas of the consumer technology industry, why shouldn't we want this to happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps
    ...but their PC's are pretty advanced. For instance, they have had DVD+RW drives available for desktops and notebooks well ahead of most everybody, except maybe Sony...
    This is not advance in the innovative sense but rather aggressive in pursuing money, which is what Dell knows best.

Quote Originally Posted by jip88
    The business of building PC boxes has not been one of the most innovation-intense ones for a while, but Dell has at least stayed on the cutting edge... Apart from the romantic notion of an independent PalmOne in a Quixotic crusade against the 800 pound gorillas of the consumer technology industry, why shouldn't we want this to happen?
    I wouldn't consider Dell to be on the cutting edge of anything. Apple is. Handspring was. Dell just copies others (it does make good product, nevertheless).
    And why shouldn’t T600 owners be romantic and passionate about their product and company? There’s something to be said about loyalty, no?
    Last edited by Muziek; 05/07/2004 at 11:55 AM.
    Hey I love my T600...but
    I doubt Dell would make such a move (would be some culture and
    business model clash and PLMO market cap around 780M, 1B sales,
    and still losing money...for an acquisition price of say $900M+?).
    Plus that PLMO's main assets going forward are likely smartphones...
    the market on this is still too risky given the low-volume (not a typical
    Dell move to move in on early markets). Anyways, IMHO.

On the other hand, I also agree that there could be many advantages
    in leveraging Dell. If the Handspring creativity could be retained, but
    the manufacturing, cost control, service, direct sales, quality of Dell
    could be leveraged....how much pissing and moaning have we all done
    about crappy T600 hardware and inconsistent quality of parts, etc.
    PLMO will be better than Handspring, but Dell would be better than PLMO
    on the hardward mfg side.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddierite
    PLMO...
    Are we using ticker symbols here? Are you a broker?
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    I don't hear anyone talking about PLMO's part in this. U think that just because Dell would want to buy PLMO that PLMO would even be interested? Not that Dell does. I can't imagine why PLMO would sell @ this point in time unless they were getting a price @ least 5 x's current market value. There is way too much potential.
    Consider this possibility. If Dell does buy PalmOne, the next "Treo" could be operating on the Windows Mobile platform. If anyone needs to be worried it is PalmSource.
    I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    -Sir Winston Churchill.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12