Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello! I've been reading posts in this forum before the server crashed and I know some of you guys have been on the 3.04 FW/SW for sometime now. I would like get your feedback on the 3.04 (searched the forums to no avail).What are the pros and cons of this FW version? Any problems encountered? What are the definite improvements noted ?

I did the upgrade but I don't seem to notice any improvement (???), I am now not sure whether I did it correctly. One thing I noticed though is that I get failed downloads from some sites like the Tavisjohn's wallpaper site. Would appreciate insight from anyone on this forum.
    Improvements I've noticed:
    - Video Record (check out MovieRec at www. infinityball.com)
    - Audio Recording
    - I appear to make a network connection faster after turning wireless mode on or after a soft reset.
    - No more "flip" when making the wireless connection.

Things I didn't care for:
    - I lost the Select Network menu item in the phone application
    - Blazer isn't too blazey, and now takes a moment to open up my bookmarks.
    - I posted in the other thread about this, but I ran into the same problem trying to download a jpg from TavisJohn's website.

I also llike not having the Cingular branding (I don't really care for "Jack")
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    I'm with you. I think the 3.04 upgrade is a mirage. I took the daring upgrade path because I always have this uncontrolable urge to have the latest. Thank goodness it went smoothly, as I held my fingers crossed in anticipation of an explosion. But as you, I see no difference in performance of my unbranded TMO T6. BTW...I still see the select network in the phone app info.
    To be honest..after 10000 minutes I went back to 2.08. The phone portion dropped calls regularly. After reverting the phone performance improved.

Audio recording is just not that useful yet.

Derek
    Also seems to improve the camera but Qset also helps that...
    After installing the new 3.04 upgrade, from my SD card, all works fine and much faster except for a strange result on the mail program. Every delete causes a soft reboot and I have two emails that refused to be deleted. Should I redo the 3,04 install? Any ideas? Or is there a Palm one Mail software available with an earlier version than the new 1.02A?
    How do you go back to 2.08 ??
    I've been dying for voice recording capability. I've been out fo the loop for a while and I'm just finding out about the 3.04 update. I've been waiting for this firmware update for some time timein anticiapation of being able to use Audacity DVR.

I called palmone (because I couldn't find the actual update file anywhere) and found out that it hasn't been officially released yet.

Where can I get it? Does anyone who uses Audacity have any comments?
    Thanks!
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
    I have been using Audacity Personal version with the update successfully. It works fine; exactly how you would expect. Good volume, clear sound, etc. For some reason, the next version up, the "Basic" version, does not with with my Treo.

With respect to the update, the only clear difference to me seems to be that the GPRS hooks up much faster. Like in one second, where it seems like it use to take several seconds. OK, but not to die for.

I also like the video recording with sound capability, but that app is still in a fairly early stage I think. Works fine, though.
  10.    #10  
    Glad to hear from you guys!!! Minimal or no improvement over the previous FW/SW releases except for the capability to record sound may be the reason why Palmone has not yet released a new FW/SW version.

Its a comfort to know that downgrading to 2.09 or 2.08 is doable just in case the phone becomes unstable in the near future. I haven't noticed any problems so far with the 3.04. The capability to do video with sound is cool but none of the short videos I've made are worth burning into movie CDs because they are still blurry and bluish.

Hopefully Palmone will release a new FW/SW soon that will truly improve our T600s.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by MovieGene
    Improvements I've noticed:
    - Video Record (check out MovieRec at www. infinityball.com) YU
    - Audio Recording
    - I appear to make a network connection faster after turning wireless mode on or after a soft reset.
    - No more "flip" when making the wireless connection.

Things I didn't care for:
    - I lost the Select Network menu item in the phone application
    - Blazer isn't too blazey, and now takes a moment to open up my bookmarks.
    - I posted in the other thread about this, but I ran into the same problem trying to download a jpg from TavisJohn's website.

I also llike not having the Cingular branding (I don't really care for "Jack")

Yes the Movierec app is cool but not yet useable. I did not lose the Network Select capability when I did the upgrade. And now that you've pointed it out, I have also noticed that Blazer has slowed down a bit. Thanks for sharing info.
    How do you do audio recording? Do you have to use the Audacity program?

Before the FW upgrade, my phone would never wake up from "no service." I did the FW upgrade and now my phone works well and wakes up from "no service" rather quickly(compared to before).

The camera no longer has many blue dots when the CCD is saturated. I find that as a definate plus!

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    I had a workmate's 2.09 Treo to compare to my 3.04 upgraded Treo...

Sitting them side by side and pressing buttons, app switching is noticably faster on 3.04 (eg the phone app on 3.04 starts in less than a second vs almost 2 seconds on 2.09). This is not just my imagination: the difference is huge.

The camera on my phone is much improved with 3.04 (I no longer get any blue dots and pictures taken indoors are bordering on usable now).

I did start fresh with 3.04, and only reinstalled the software I actually use. A fresh Treo seems to be a rock solid phone - it's only after I've tried out lots of different applications and hacks that the Treo starts to get unreliable.
    I really hate hacks. They don't do any good. Makes me uncomfortable in running Call Filter.....as that program runs in the "background."

I always use a barebones Treo, gets rid of the need to soft reset every week or so.

Stan
    I did not upgrade the firmware just from curiosity but because I have problem to get the wireless signal back if for some reason(elevator or undrground floors) I went out of coverage.I did the upgrade in order to solve this problem and now it connects quickly as far as I am back at coverage area.
    Quote Originally Posted by xkchaos
    I did not upgrade the firmware just from curiosity but because I have problem to get the wireless signal back if for some reason(elevator or undrground floors) I went out of coverage.I did the upgrade in order to solve this problem and now it connects quickly as far as I am back at coverage area.
    EXACT same reason why I did the firmware upgrade to 3.04. Now the Treo600 works better than before. It recovers from No-Signal way faster than before.

Before the upgrade, my phone would sit with No Service and I could make and receive calls. But receiving calls was not pleasant at all. Trying to answer the call would yield in an immediate hang-up.

Stan
    after some hesitation, I did the 3.04 upgrade and everything has been solid. I've noticed some slight performance improvement but no clear comparison like was noted in previous posts.

I had only a few additional apps before the upgrade. now have several more with no problems to report.

"sometimes you bleed a little when you are on the cutting edge of technology!"
    I upgraded to 3.04 but after a few days went back to 2.08 (after I upgrade from 1.2) because network reception was not better. Got a lot more - No Service - signals.
    Camera is 3.04 was much better. 2.08 is not.
    However am happy with 2.08 untill a better reception in a new FW.
    Easiest way to upgrade was to install the .prc as a new user.(NO SD card)
    Have done this now from 1.2 - 2.08 - 3.04 - 2.08 and no problems....
    I guess I'm lucky to have a successful 3.04 upgrade. I hope nothing goes wrong with my unit.

I received my replacement unit from TMobile, and it is of an older Treo600 unit. It has the Handspring logo on it. I do not need to change my handset since I did the 3.04 FW upgrade(fixed the recovery of the no-service).

Stan
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanward
    EXACT same reason why I did the firmware upgrade to 3.04. Now the Treo600 works better than before. It recovers from No-Signal way faster than before.

Before the upgrade, my phone would sit with No Service and I could make and receive calls. But receiving calls was not pleasant at all. Trying to answer the call would yield in an immediate hang-up.

Stan
    Please notice that the original firmware was 2.05 anf software 1.08-INT.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast