1.    #1  
    How long do they have to test the 3.04 firmware before releasing it? There's been more testing by TC users documented on this web site than P1 could possibly do themselves. If there were any severe bugs with it then they could've just read about them on here about a month ago. So what the heck are they waiting for??? And they better have a Sprint version released too because I have Sprint and that's why I'm complaining.
    Amen!!! I know at least (insert current number of TreoCentral users here) people who would love to get their hands on an official firmware upgrade to test. I know there are those daring ones who took the plunge and I commend their bravery. I just get nervous by the words "will void the warranty" and would love to try it "legally". I'm GSM, but the risk still makes me nervous in spite of what has been proven positively.

BTW Bob-C - GREAT avatar!!
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
    I appologize for the newb question, but...

How can I tell which version of the firmware I am running ? I know about the "Info.." option under the app launcher, but which app listed gives the "firmware" version.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcarswell
    I appologize for the newb question, but...

How can I tell which version of the firmware I am running ? I know about the "Info.." option under the app launcher, but which app listed gives the "firmware" version.
    While in Phone, use Menu and look for "Phone Info" option.
    Check out http://coljac.net/treo_firmware_faq.html for latest firmware updates.
    Cingular Blue
    Treo 650 (now unlocked)
    Firmware: 1.05
    Current Software: Treo650-1.04-CNB
    Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    and would love to try it "legally".

It's not illegal to run the new firmware is it?? Why would it be??
    Voiding the warranty I could see if they wanted to be pains but illegal... I think it would only be illegal if we used the carrier service for free some how..

If it is illegal then "I got a lot of splainin to do Lucy"

Jim
    I don't see how installing the firmware will void the warranty. Yu can fnd the original and reinstall install it if necessary But I can testify that the firmware works just fine on GSM phones. I now have a voice recorder, thanks to Easynotes. Wish I could figure out how to same voice on the SD card, though.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Hmmm.....I am now in possession of my 3rd AND 4th T600. One of them must be returned, and both suffer the Echo problem. What would PalmOne do if I returned a phone that did not have the same Firmware on it?

The phone I plan to return has firmware version 2.02. The one I'm keeping has 2.12. If I were to test 3.04, I MIGHT want to try it on the phone I'll be returning first, but I won't be able to restore it to 2.02...unless I can extract the current version from the phone.

Any thoughts or experience on this topic?
    One of my colleagues returned a phone with f/w 3.04 on it.
    No problems.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    I don't see how installing the firmware will void the warranty. Yu can fnd the original and reinstall install it if necessary But I can testify that the firmware works just fine on GSM phones. I now have a voice recorder, thanks to Easynotes. Wish I could figure out how to same voice on the SD card, though.
    Well I have a unbranded, unlocked GSM phone and I tried the FW 3.4 upgrade and it locked my phone. I had to result to FW 2.12.

Don't know why it locked my phone since it says that it will stay unlock if you have a unlocked phone but it did.

FW 2.12 works fine but I sure hell would love to get the newest and lastest
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    Yu can fnd the original and reinstall install it if necessary But I can testify that the firmware works just fine on GSM phones.
    Easier said than done... many of us who plan to (or already have) updated are (or were) running older firmware, such as 2.02 or 2.05. The only firmware you could downgrade to is probably around 2.08 or so... I've never seen the files for anything lower. So going back to the original is practically impossible unless someone figures out a way to "backup" old firmware or something like that. And as for it working fine on GSM phones, there are many reports of minor bugs that result from the upgrade, like I think I recall a midi problem of some sort. Things like that are why I'm waiting for the official firmware, since it will be supported and won't void warranties.
    I've yet to see anyone explain how to downgrade. Care to explain how you did it? TIA
    Well you don't actually downgrade.
    You simply install back the F.W you previously had and sync to get all your stuff (if you had a backup).

I Upgraded to FW 3.04 and it locked my unbranded, unlocked phone.
    So I installed 2.12 instead since that one had a hack (or whatever you call it) to unlock the phones.

When I figure out why fw3.04 locked my phone and how not to, then I'll try it again. But for now I'm happy with fw2.12