1.    #1  
    I am developing a little website that I'd like to be accessible via Treo as well as computer. What do I need to do different to make it work well on a Treo?

How do you specify that number buttons should invoke certain links?
    What size should I keep images under?
    Can I use a background image? a background color?

How about other cell phones? Is there anything that works across Treo's and other cell phones like Nokia's?

Thanks,

Brian
    No answers yet? I was wondering the same thing. I guess its down to the ol guess and check method.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Stradale
    I am developing a little website that I'd like to be accessible via Treo as well as computer. What do I need to do different to make it work well on a Treo?
    No graphics; they slow down web browsing on the Treo.
    How do you specify that number buttons should invoke certain links?
    Are you familiar with web designing? Macromedia is an excellent program for creating websites, and you can be using all the buttons you need.
    What size should I keep images under?
    None if possible... See the link to my site below, in orange letters.
    Can I use a background image? a background color?
    You sure can. Macromedia will do that for you.
    How about other cell phones? Is there anything that works across Treo's and other cell phones like Nokia's?
    Any web-enabled phone: Yes!
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    For the number buttons associated with a link, it requires defining the accesskey attribute of an anchor tag (<a href.... accesskey="1">...</a>).

Either no images, or minimal images is best, since the larger the image, the more that has to be downloaded. In the case of Blazer it does the extra work to resize large images, but it's not something you should try to take advantage of.

You shouldn't have a problem using a background color and I would assume that a background image should be ok. Some cell phones can only handle strict WAP pages, but anything that has a standards compliant browser should do just fine with a rather simple webpage.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by m00se
    No graphics; they slow down web browsing on the Treo.
    No graphics? Or is minimal graphics okay? Don't want to get too boring. Some simple GIFs and JPEGs can add a lot for minimal (8KB) download time.

How about fonts? What fonts are generally supported?

Are you familiar with web designing? Macromedia is an excellent program for creating websites, and you can be using all the buttons you need.
    Yes, I use Dreamweaver MX to build websites. But I find minimal info on WAP or WML and absolutely nothing on how to make the Treo number buttons invoke links.

Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews
    For the number buttons associated with a link, it requires defining the accesskey attribute of an anchor tag (<a href.... accesskey="1">...</a>).
    Thanks, that's what I was looking for on that issue.

Any other suggestions or tutorials on how to make a website attractive on all of computer and palm and cellphone would be greatly appreciated.
    Besides the size of images, you have to factor in the rendering of the image by the device. I would say having some small images would be fine. I don't have an answer for fonts. I haven't tried a variation of fonts to know. Figuring out what fonts are supported by the many different mobile browsers might not be that easy, but you can at least test what you have access to.

For the most part it's a bunch of trial and error.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews
    For the most part it's a bunch of trial and error.
    Understood. But as many such sites as are out there now, I was just hoping that I could just learn from others' trial-and-error, rather than repeating that exercise.
    Keeping it as simple as possible is about the best advice I can give, especially if you're going to try to be compatible many mobile devices/browsers.

With Blazer, the one thing that has been a pain, is it changing the layout when viewing a page in optimized mode. It tries to compress things together as much as possible. So, when you set the attributes of tables, it might not completely honor what you've set.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    What about screen size? When I design a "normal" site, I design it with 800 x 600 screen resolution in mind. What size should I consider for a Treo friendly page? Also, what about font size?

Thanks
    The native resolution of the Treo screen is 160x160 (which doesn't factor in space taking by the borders of the browser), so you can use that as a guide for the size of your pages.