1.    #1  
    Ok, so I'm new and I have a few questions, please go easy on me. And yes, I've searched to find the answers to no avail.

I am a current Cingular subscriber, but I'm not eligible for an upgrade for a while. So I devised the following scheme. I am going to get a friend to sign up for a new Cingular contract so I can get the Treo 600 at a discount. I'm then going to swap the SIM chip with my phone for the one in the Treo and give him my old phone. This should work, but I would like confirmation that this is going to work.

Secondly, what size is the wallpaper so I can make my own.

Any other tips or tricks that a first time Treo owner should know about?
    Your plan sounds fine.

Wallpaper size I use is 160x94. It depends though if you want to see the names of the 5-way nav buttons. If you don't you can have wallpapers 160x120.

This site by member tavisjohnhas a nice collection:

http://www.tavisjohn.com/treo600/index.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton User
    Ok, so I'm new and I have a few questions, please go easy on me. And yes, I've searched to find the answers to no avail.

I am a current Cingular subscriber, but I'm not eligible for an upgrade for a while. So I devised the following scheme. I am going to get a friend to sign up for a new Cingular contract so I can get the Treo 600 at a discount. I'm then going to swap the SIM chip with my phone for the one in the Treo and give him my old phone. This should work, but I would like confirmation that this is going to work.

Secondly, what size is the wallpaper so I can make my own.

Any other tips or tricks that a first time Treo owner should know about?

Wow, another newton person!! I loved my Newton 110 (clearcase) and used religiously until I bought my treo. Trust me, you'll love it.

Chip switching should work. However, if you are looking to buy an unlocked mint 270 let me know, I just ordered my 600 the other day
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info. I just ordered the 600 so lets hope that Handspring isn't jerking my chain when they swore that it would ship within one week.

I can't believe that I'm going to retire my trusty MP 2100, but times change and so should I.

Thanks again. Hopefully this old Newton veteran has found a new home.
    CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredyth
    Wow, another newton person!!
    There are actually quite a few Newton users on this board.

As far as wallpaper for the Treo 600, I'd say it seems sort of pointless. I guess it's a personal decision, of course, but since the Palm hard keys concept pretty much lets you turn the device on to the application you need, there never really seems to be a need for a desktop in the personal computer sense of the concept. Do what you like, though.

Anyone with a new Treo 600 should absolutely buy a copy of TreoSelecText -- it's totally brilliant.

Other good apps to look at (and many of these are terribly obvious) include: ClockPop5, LaunchThis!, TreoButler, Pocket Tunes, SnapperMail, Kinoma, Web Pro, Xiino, RescoViewer, FileZ, SpellCheck and Chatter. (That's not an inclusive list, of course.)

Also, URC rocks!
  6.    #6  
    Good god that was fast. I ordered the phone yesterday and it shipped today. I should have it tomorrow. I'm impressed.
    CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton User
    Good god that was fast. I ordered the phone yesterday and it shipped today. I should have it tomorrow. I'm impressed.
    Man, you did not even have to suffer through the waiting we early users had to go through. Welcome aboard!
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I was a Newton user, a long time ago. Amazing that there are still some things that the Newton could do that modern PDAs can't. But the size just killed it for me.

Welcome to the club. Treo users are some of the friendliest and most helpful bunch of people I've encountered on the web. You'll be sure to get all your questions answered here, and then some.

There are tons of apps that I would recommend to you, but none more highly than Datebk 5 and Snappermail. I couldn't live without either of those, at this point.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDriver
    Did it arrive as promised?
    It sure did.

I'm still playing around and getting used to it. I'm trying to find the "Assist" button, but alas, there is none.
    CARTHAGO DELENDA EST