Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    sorry didnt see this thread...

so yeah id pay $25-$30 for this seeing as how ive almost crashed into things because of lack of this feature. Voicedial with sprint is a joke... but then again so is my damn speakerphone.. its starting to fail again except this time it makes me happy cuz i have a best buy warranty so i can kiss my ace hello.

however bring on the voicedial because we all know deep down that therers no voice dial built into the Treo Ace
    Quote Originally Posted by dudemasicus
    Not completly. I pay the $5 a month for Sprint's voice dialing. And unless an application comes out that requires absolutly no training, I probably won't switch. I have over 300 names in my contact list, and my Outlook client automatically sync's with Sprint's voice server, and I don't have to train a thing... Works very well.
    Thanks for pointing out that Voice Command syncs with Outlook. I think this is a new feature since I tried it last. Your posting enticed me to give Voice Command another try & I must say they have really advanced this product ALOT. When I had it before, it had a really hard time understanding many of the names I had added and it was a frustrating experience at best. Now it even understands names like Mehkikash Gorbachinski (yes I totally made that up). My point is that it works way better and is worth the 5 bucks a month if you are in the car a lot like I am. The Sync with Outlook is totally slick also.
    If it understand other language besides English, even if I'm an English teacher I would feel weird talking English to my phone. Make it work for Spanish and make it compatible with SMS (outside US people use more SMSs than voice, because it's cheaper). Also about the cheap make it $10 or less the USD is a bit expensive here. I would be very happy to be a beta tester. And thanks for the AWESOME free apps, I thougth it would be like that forever but you're such a good treo developer that you deserve to get rich with that ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mayorga
    If it understand other language besides English, even if I'm an English teacher I would feel weird talking English to my phone. Make it work for Spanish and make it compatible with SMS (outside US people use more SMSs than voice, because it's cheaper). Also about the cheap make it $10 or less the USD is a bit expensive here. I would be very happy to be a beta tester. And thanks for the AWESOME free apps, I thougth it would be like that forever but you're such a good treo developer that you deserve to get rich with that ability.
    These technologies are surprisingly language independent. To see that, it is useful to look at the components that make it up, recorded voice, synthetic speech, and speech recognition.

Most of the prompts in the system are recorded voice. The recordings are usually made in and by a native speaker of, the language of the service area.
    As with many such systems, one early prompt may be for language preference (Por service en Espanol...)

Confirmations in these systems may be recorded speeech or synthetic speech. When I ask my Nokia 8890 to "Call Nicole," the confirmation is in my own voice. Her number is not stored in association with her name in text but in association with my voice speaking her name. While it is true that I say "Nicole" with a slightyly different accent than a native Spanish or French speaker, the system does not rely upon my English accent. The text menus in my phone are in English. I remember that I bought the phone in Montreal Quebec and that the packaging was printed in English and French. I assume that at some point I chose English menus in preference to French ones. However, I am confident that the French use phones with French menus and that the Finns have phones with Finnish menus. (My nephew sees AOL prompts in Spanish while his son sees them in English on the same system. He actually prefers English but cannot find where to reset the preference.)

On the other hand, when I tell the Sprint Voice Command Service to "Call Nicole," the confirmation, "Call Nicole Br... at home (the default for her)," will be in synthetic speech driven by text stored in the database. Incidentally, the system is able to associate an arbitrary speaker saying "Call Nicole Br...." with the text argument in the database. It is able to distinguish between an arbitrary saying "at home" or "at work."

All of these things are implementation specific rather than fundamental or theoretical. What happens in a product like the Treo 600 or an application for it will be function of the perceived market.
    In the meantime, I'll just be writing up some VoiceXML code and use that as my stone-age voice dialing app
    <transfer name="services" bridge="true" connecttimeout="300" dest="phone://0005551212" />
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory J
    Thanks for pointing out that Voice Command syncs with Outlook. I think this is a new feature since I tried it last. Your posting enticed me to give Voice Command another try & I must say they have really advanced this product ALOT. When I had it before, it had a really hard time understanding many of the names I had added and it was a frustrating experience at best. Now it even understands names like Mehkikash Gorbachinski (yes I totally made that up). My point is that it works way better and is worth the 5 bucks a month if you are in the car a lot like I am. The Sync with Outlook is totally slick also.

How long ago did you try it? I tried it in January (it synced with outlook) and had mucho problems getting it to understand me. I'd say Brian Wilson and it'd come out Julie Porter or something like that. AT&T's voicedial always understood me... Is it better now?
    original post:
    Would anybody be interested in being able to control their Treo 600 via speech recognition (aka voice dialing)? If so, would you be willing to pay for it and how much? Later.

-Ryan
    When I had the Kyocera 6035 Palm phone I wanted to kill the guy who came up with the voice dialing feature. Call "Dan Home"........ calling "Dan's Cell" eeerrr . On the third attempt (at times) Call "Dan Home"...... calling "Dan Home" then it would just stop/dissapear, a few seconds later I'd look at the screen and it's NOT DAILING ANYONE! eeerrr

I hate headsets worse than that voice dialing, so, even with some fustration give me back my voice dialing. I'd be willing to pay $15 or less for the same kind of program. More $$$ if you can make it better .
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    This is a post from 7/21/04 From Ryan's forum...

RyanRife said:
    Sorry, i've been really busy in the past couple of weeks and I haven't had much time to work on it. I plan to release the next version of SoundRec soon (with the source) and then I plan on finishing up the voice dialing software afterwards.

Sweeeeet!!!!
    bumpity bumpity bump.
    At this point I think we can pretty much forget this app.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    At this point I think we can pretty much forget this app.
    What am I missing? Why is this application any less likely than any other.
    Well maybe it's me, but this App has been in the works since April and it's September and still no show. That to me is an indication that there is some form of technical hangup as to why Ryan has not produced it yet. He has been otherwise very quick and responsive with his other app(s).

But keep hope alive,what the hoo. I want it too.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Well maybe it's me, but this App has been in the works since April and it's September and still no show. That to me is an indication that there is some form of technical hangup as to why Ryan has not produced it yet. He has been otherwise very quick and responsive with his other app(s).

But keep hope alive,what the hoo. I want it too.
    Maybe Ryan works for Verizon!!

Or even worse Best Software.!!

Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    Don't be rude... Ryan Rules I use SoundRec all the time.

I'm sure voicedial is an extremely difficult thing to program.
    Absolutely! Verizon Cancelled Their "voice Gear" Service Just Before The New Treo 600 Came Out For Their Service. All Verizon Users Are Dead In The Water Without An Application That Will Work On Their Phones. Driving And Trying To Manuever Thru All The Buttons Is For The Birds!!!
    I currently use the GoodLink service for Exchange on my Treo. I know someone mentioned that Sprints voice command directory syncs with their Outlook. Will it also work in a similar way with GoodLink?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345