Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    PDALive has a great preview article on a new program coming out from Handmark called Express.

Wireless. It is the new buzzword in the computer industry. WiFi, Bluetooth, 3G, they can all sound mystical in our culture and as many would agree, these technologies haven't yet begun to peak in potential - until now. Handmark is set to release the most innovative product in their product line - Handmark Express, a wireless news service.

At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this year Handmark previewed a product they have had in the works for some time, a wireless service that allows the user to subscribe to "channels" which will be updated whenever a wireless signal is present. These channels include 411, maps, weather and sports.

You can read the rest of the article by going here.
    Thanks
    Justin Nolan
    PDALive
    And how does this differ from Avantgo? This sounds like a blatant ad.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    this looks very promising. go to the website & check it out yardie...
    It does indeed look interesting. But it seems that it is just goingto cover American content. Let's see in a months time.

Originally posted by treoneo
    this looks very promising. go to the website & check it out yardie...
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    It seems to be the same concept as vindigo but with more content & a more palm os friendly/familiar ui. Vindigo is pretty cool. Good for movie listings & driving directions (although it doesn't cover every inch of the city). I'm sure it will be a subscriber based service as that's where most of the profit could be generated.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Express - I took a one month subscription. It has a lot of promise, ie, nice interface, great 411 engine, I like the ease of looking up direction from my address book. Big problem with whatever mapping engine they are using. I had it give me directions that were way off, and it returns some flaky directions.

Al in all, for a first gen it is very good. Whitout good mapping engine, I cannot justify the costs.

btw - interface on Treo 600 is much better than Avantgo.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I have been a monthly subscriber to Handmark Express for 2 months & really enjoy it. But this past weekend I was browsing my local Best Buy when I found the Handmark Express CD-Rom for $49.99 (1 year subscription). Much cheaper than the $6.99 per month I was paying. If you order online, shipping is free.

Handmark Express @ Best Buy

Kirby
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    I just got an e-mail from Handmark and am trying Express free for a month. I've only been playing with it for less than an hour but it seems very cool.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I LOVE IT!! Use it all the time. My only complaint about it is the directions. 50% of the time it is TOTALLY wrong, names streets that don't exist etc.

Kirby
    Quote Originally Posted by yardie
    And how does this differ from Avantgo? This sounds like a blatant ad.
    I have tried both Express and Avantgo now. They both do the same thing. Express is easier to look at, Avantgo is free.
    Directions horribly wrong for me 90% of the time.
    Same news as available on the reuters page.
    Movies listings always reset my phone. Yahoo has same info.

Guess who just cancelled his Express membership.

I will apply the money I save towards a gps unit for the Treo. Got it mostly for maps and 411 service and both of them pretty much stink. It's a shame, though because it's a pretty good idea.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I wrote to them complaining of their "horribly wrong" directions in Maps. This is their response:

We are constantly working to improve the map quality - we update and add data every day based on both new map data and customer feedback. If you find any errors that you would like to report, we can report them to the map providers and get the errors fixed.

thank you,

Handmark Support
    www.handmark.com/support
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I used it mostly for directions - it was terrible. When I told them about this, they gave me a similar "blow off" line.

I switched to Directory Assistant (da.prc) http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/ this is a stellar app and well worth $10. It has a great interface, loads address to the map lookup directly from the directory assistance lookup or your address book - utilizes yp.com and mapquest. If you primary need is directory assistance and mapping, this app is ideal !
    I'm hotsynching directory assistant as I write this.

Wow. Handmark Express maps are a joke. What are we supposed to do, email Handmark each time it spits out garbage directions? (that's every single time I've used it). This pathetic mapping software can't even map its way from my house to the train station 3 blocks away.

The other services are better, but the news is a mirror of what you can find on sprint pcs vision, and the same articles seem to linger for days. Even though it holds about 70 articles, only a small amount are usually new.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    my guess it that HM uses the license fee to fund development, and not for licensing content providers. The nice thing with DA is that it kicks you over to Blazer for mapquest. I like to add the directions as a bookmark if I think I need to refer back to them. For $7/mo, there was little value in Express.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    remember DA is a beta, so there are a couple minor bugs - all in all they do not affect performance.
    I already like DA more than Express. Not as full-featured, but at least it's based on accurate data!

Thanks for saving me $84 on maps that do nothing but cost me gasoline and time.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I deleted the MAPS prc as it is garbage. I still think Express is fantastic. I love being able to send a news article via email. My wife & I use 'Movies' all the time & it works perfectly. I also use '411' - the 'Find A Business' search constantly & it is flawless. Well worth the price to me. I was lucky enough to get it when it was on sale for $49.99 @ Best Buy.

Kirby
    Agree about the Map feature - it stinks.

I'm testing a three-month subscription purchased from Palmgear's sale. The news, weather, and 411 all work well, and I like the automatic updates. The "movies" information section is excellent and works much better than any other solution I can find.

I'm enjoying Express. Is it worth the money? The jury is still out. I like it now - I'll see how I feel a month from now after the newness wears off.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I do agree that teh movies and 411 work well. DA business and residential lookups work well. I just won't use the movies and 411 enough to come close to justifying any cost, let alone $40 to $80.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast