1.    #1  
    Check this phone out:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1530375,00.asp

And before anyone flames me, I'm not suggesting it's as good as, better than, or anything else. Just that it's an interesting design concept.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    The Voq actually was announced soem time ago. Do a search at brighthand for more info. I personally think the recently announced MPx300 is a much more interesting design...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I do enjoy seeing new products. However, and not to distract you and others from this subject of Treo 600 killers, I think we need to look at the T600 as a work in progress. There will always be competitive products on the market, this is a cutthroat business. What is new today is old tomorrow: That is the beauty of technology and, perhaps, it's ugly side too (we are sucked into spending more money...). I read many posts here about new Treo killers. Well, they might kill the current Treo eventually but the next Treo will retaliate and so forth. (To children who might reading this: Killing is bad!)
    I say: Love The One You're With

Yeah Moose good points. At some point there will be a Treo Koller... but soon after there will be a new Treo that kills the Treo 600 Killer LOL

Originally posted by m00se
    I do enjoy seeing new products. However, and not to distract you and others from this subject of Treo 600 killers, I think we need to look at the T600 as a work in progress. There will always be competitive products on the market, this is a cutthroat business. What is new today is old tomorrow: That is the beauty of technology and, perhaps, it's ugly side too (we are sucked into spending more money...). I read many posts here about new Treo killers. Well, they might kill the current Treo eventually but the next Treo will retaliate and so forth. (To children who might reading this: Killing is bad!)

5.    #5  
    I do enjoy seeing new products. However, and not to distract you and others from this subject of Treo 600 killers,
    Oh, I certainly never believed, or claimed, that the Voq would be a Treo killer. I just think it's an interesting concept, and I'm delighted to see the creativity that's going into smart phone design these days. Creative design is something the computer industry (with the possible exception of Apple) lost a long time ago.
    Bob Meyer
    I love the design. And before the treo 600 I may have found it the ultimate pda phone. I say this because the defacto main feature in a pda for an input monger like myself (I journal and take notes obsessively) is a built-in keyboard. This little fold-out keyboard is clever. I like it.

BUT! Something unexpected happened with the advent of the Treo 600. I got it because of the 5way, which in my hand was the most ergonomically satisfying navigation I had ever experienced in a pda. The smallness of the keyboard was a bit of a concern. But after using it a few weeks, an unexpected "nice" feature soon became an indispensable "gotta have" feature that NO other pda (as of Feb 2004 anyway) offers. I'm talking about ONE-HANDED typing. My main style of typing is with both hands, but the compactness of the keyboard makes one-handed typing possible, which has turned out to be quite indispensable. I can look up phone numbers and take little notes while driving or on the phone, or other tasks where having only one free hand no longer prevents the ability to type.

SO! Nice design! But too late! One-handed typing is now (for me) a defacto GOTTA-HAVE.
    Originally posted by meyerweb

Oh, I certainly never believed, or claimed, that the Voq would be a Treo killer. I just think it's an interesting concept, and I'm delighted to see the creativity that's going into smart phone design these days. Creative design is something the computer industry (with the possible exception of Apple) lost a long time ago.
    You obviously havent seen my beautiful HP zd7000 notebook. This is easily a creative and aesthetically beautiful design that other manufacturers should look into. Technology has to look as good as it performs and the top of the line hardware should look the part. My zd7000 looks the part, its a powerhouse with stunning looks.

Also, here is the Group Sense smartphone for all interested:
    http://palm.pdablast.com/articles/20...ases-Palm.html
    Last edited by Slk24kgj; 02/20/2004 at 10:17 AM.
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    Originally posted by Slk24kgj

You obviously havent seen my beautiful HP zd7000 notebook. This is easily a creative and aesthetically beautiful design that other manufacturers should look into. Technology has to look as good as it performs and the top of the line hardware should look the part. My zd7000 looks the part, its a powerhouse with stunning looks.
    Where's the keyboard?
    Last edited by Schmoozer; 02/20/2004 at 12:09 PM.
    I'm with you Schmoozer.

I feel that for something to be a Treo killer or competitor, it really needs to have the keyboard option on it.

To use the numberpad is not a smartphone in my opinion. Its just a phone with T9 and in that case, Treo will dominate in my opinion over every other phone claiming to be a smartphone unless they get a keyboard and then I will give it serious consideration.
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by Slk24kgj

I wasn't talking about style, but about innovative design which adds functionality to a device. The HP is stylish, but in terms of innovative function I don't see much. Yes, it has a numeric keypad built in, but that's simply a function of its huge size. Desktops have had numeric keypads forever. The only innovative PC devices I've seen lately are the tablet PCs, which the market apparently sees as a solution looking for a problem.

The Group Sense phone seems pretty ho-hum. Slow dragonball processor, OS 4, no real innovations. Doesn't do much for me.
    Bob Meyer
    I do enjoy seeing new products. However, and not to distract you and others from this subject of Treo 600 killers, I think we need to look at the T600 as a work in progress. There will always be competitive products on the market, this is a cutthroat business. What is new today is old tomorrow: That is the beauty of technology and, perhaps, it's ugly side too (we are sucked into spending more money...). I read many posts here about new Treo killers. Well, they might kill the current Treo eventually but the next Treo will retaliate and so forth. (To children who might be reading this: Killing is bad!)
    I am with you m00se (BTW, where does a m00se learn to write so well?). Having said that, I love new gadgets, so I hope the newer Treo will be as exciting and fun as the competition. Knowing myself, I will buy it immediately!
    That phone (thez700whatever) uses technology so outdated its sad.

On the other hand, initial resports of the Voq indicate the KN isnt that strong, and actually seemed quite flimsy. Im weary about buying devices that fold or flip that use one half as the input area - especially a KB.

I do like the MPx300 though. Nice design, but the hinge scares me off (until I hold one) for now.
    :Watch the Sky:
    www.godmode.com
    Originally posted by TheZodiac
    That phone (thez700whatever) uses technology so outdated its sad.
    if you are talking about the zd7000, its not a phone but a notebook

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...do&wlBcLevel=1
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    Originally posted by Schmoozer

I am with you m00se (BTW, where does a m00se learn to write so well?).
    M00se do not write; we dictate
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    http://www.theregister.com/2004/07/07/alien_smartphone/

Quote Originally Posted by TheRegister
    One feature of the MS Windows Mobile platform which is a real "killer app" is the way it looks up data in its Pocket Outlook database. It uses predictive text from the keyboard, and starts searching while you're typing, until a hit is made.
    Now that is some killer app. The Treo has been doing this for ages!

Chriz