Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Ive got a t600 on order by using my 270 serial number but im beginning to get second thoughts.

At first i didnt see this as a problem, i kinda hoped Handspring did their homework this time but when i browse this forum and read about people who are on their second, third or fourth t600 i get the impression the T600 break down a lot. Perhaps not as much as the 180 or 270 but still it seems very common that you need a replacement sooner or later?

You see i live in Europe and if my t600 brake down i have to send it back to US which would be very time consuming, i would probably be without a phone for many weeks.

Is the t600 so prone to breakdown that i should reconsider and buy the phone from the UK instead? It would cost me a bit more but as i said im getting second thoughts about buying one from the US just to save $150.

Would be really interesting to hear your thoughts about this.

/Andreas
    Absolutely not, the treo 600 is rock solid. this was also a concern of mine since the t300 was slightly delicate.
    I have dropped it 5-6 times from distances of 3-4 feet onto wood surfaces and it has never skipped a beat.
    the phone, web service via sprint, and the software capabilities are all fantastic - and at this time the best you can buy on the market.
    pocket tunes deluxe with shoutcast internet radio is also ingenious - you can leave your ipod behind, in my opinion.
    so enjoy! you will not be disappointed!
    I also tend to be a heavy user by the way, so the phone has seen a good deal of usage.

I have never had to replace it. the form factor is excellent. you will notice that when you receive the treo 600, it will feel like you're driving a lexus as opposed to the chevy ( the treo 270 ).

enjoy
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Ok, thats good hear, i guess its more common that people tell about their problems with a product instead how good it is.

I had two replacements with my 180g and one with my 270 so reading a post where someone had four replacements/repairs on ther t600 made me worried.

/Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas; 02/16/2004 at 05:51 PM.
    I think its much less breakable than the 270/180 but still not as rugged as most cellphones
    The phone is well built. Doesn't feel cheap like the wife's Siemens.

I think if you've ever used a Motorola brick phone or a Nokia 5100, you have a skewed sense of durability as these phones were indeed indestructible. The Treo doesn't fall into that category, but it doesn't feel like it was supposed to hold candy, and not a cell phone.

Mine's hit the pavement a couple of times, and it's not even scratched. I've dropped it in the car, while trying to get it off my hip. I think this is a sign that clearly states egrips.
    There's a poll somewhere on these forums. By far the largest number of those answering were on their original Treo. The next largest block had needed 1 replacement.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Thanks for those calming words.

/Andreas
    > Absolutely not, the treo 600 is rock solid...

The only evidence we have suggests this is an incorrect statement made by one who WANTS it to be true.

> There's a poll somewhere on these forums. By far the largest
    > number of those answering were on their original Treo...

That is a fairly significant misrepresentation of the results of that poll.

Here's the poll:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...lts&pollid=598

At the time of THIS post it shows about 200 responses with a full 45% of those responding saying they have had to replace their TREO 600s AT LEAST once.

Deciding to buy a device is, of course, a personal decision but this set of message boards is FULL of useful information to help with that decision - people's OPINIONS, as above, are not as useful.