Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Oops...never-mind.
    Last edited by m00se; 02/17/2004 at 08:47 PM.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Another Oops...
    Last edited by m00se; 02/17/2004 at 08:48 PM.
    -Mark Twain
  3.    #23  
    Originally posted by m00se
    . . .
    Aside of that, please don't underestimate the 2% mac users, and the higher-percentage of Mac-Palm users. . .
    Which brings up another interesting point: How does Palmsource know that only 2% of Palm users are Mac users? I think it is an erroneous assumption for them to conclude, if they have, that the percentage by platform of new purchasers of computers has anything to do with the percentage by platform of existing computer users who buy Palm products. Many computer users never buy PDAs etc. Mac users are typically gadget freaks and tend to be compulsive collectors of peripherals of their choice, in search of the latest, coolest thing, etc., not exactly the sort of person who would rely on store clerk recommendations, for example. So, as statisticians say, they may be "disproportionately represented" as buyers of Treos, Tungstens, etc., just as they were in the original line of Handspring products such as the Visor, etc.

It might be interesting to know what percentage of participants on TreoCentral own Macs. It wouldn't be a huge number, but I would be surprised if it was only 2%.

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Originally posted by NateS

Which brings up another interesting point: How does Palmsource know that only 2% of Palm users are Mac users? I think it is an erroneous assumption for them to conclude, if they have, that the percentage by platform of new purchasers of computers has anything to do with the percentage by platform of existing computer users who buy Palm products. Many computer users never buy PDAs etc. Mac users are typically gadget freaks and tend to be compulsive collectors of peripherals of their choice, in search of the latest, coolest thing, etc., not exactly the sort of person who would rely on store clerk recommendations, for example. So, as statisticians say, they may be "disproportionately represented" as buyers of Treos, Tungstens, etc., just as they were in the original line of Handspring products such as the Visor, etc.

It might be interesting to know what percentage of participants on TreoCentral own Macs. It wouldn't be a huge number, but I would be surprised if it was only 2%.

NateS
    I could have sworn this was the point I guess I was un-eloquently making in my first post . 2% of PC users does not 2% of Palm OS users make.
    I agree. (BTW, The 2% came from KRamsauer as pertaining to the new PC population, not Mac-Palm users. I got to give him credit for knowing his numbers.)
    -Mark Twain
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Just a quick question: Couldn't you still install PD via VirtualPC on a Mac? Wouldn't be pretty, but would work right?
    It probably will work but ever so slowly. Besides, why should Mac users be subjected to this kind of backward society, and spend extra dollars on Virtual PC? We deserve better than that. I think
    Last edited by Schmoozer; 02/18/2004 at 11:08 AM.
    I'm sure Mac users are more than 2% of the Palm population (in my unscientific sample of 3, 1 a full 1/3 are Mac users!). But assuming the initial write of mac and pc software is the same (a good assumption?) it's easy to pick which one to ax, especially if the Mac handheld is true.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I'm sure Mac users are more than 2% of the Palm population (in my unscientific sample of 3, 1 a full 1/3 are Mac users!). But assuming the initial write of mac and pc software is the same (a good assumption?) it's easy to pick which one to ax, especially if the Mac handheld is true.
    Yeah, but the Apple handheld rumor has been flying for years. Hell SpyMac even had a very convincing demo movie of the "iWalk" a couple of years back. It's not going to happen. Jobs has said repeatedly that he sees no future in the handheld market, that convergency devices (like the iPod) are the future. And he's one hell of a stubborn guy.
    Originally posted by keltorsori

Yeah, but the Apple handheld rumor has been flying for years. Hell SpyMac even had a very convincing demo movie of the "iWalk" a couple of years back. It's not going to happen. Jobs has said repeatedly that he sees no future in the handheld market, that convergency devices (like the iPod) are the future. And he's one hell of a stubborn guy.
    Interesting note, though, that the current rumors are not exactly handhelds. They are more of an iPod like thingy, complete with a mini harddrive. And of course, as any good conspiracy theory goes, the decision by PalmSource to drop Mac support in Cobalt reinforces the rumor the mac handheld. See, it's an unbreakable, unprovable circle! Yee haw!
    And he's (Jobs) one hell of a stubborn guy.
    You can say that again: I keep wishing Apple would buy PalmOne...
    Originally posted by Schmoozer

You can say that again: I keep wishing Apple would buy PalmOne...
    According to Jobs he already tried. It was the first order of business when he came back on board as CEO of Apple after the NeXT merger. They didin't want to sell.

According to Jobs he already tried. It was the first order of business when he came back on board as CEO of Apple after the NeXT merger. They didin't want to sell.
    Probably because KRamsauer was against it
    I'll take it one step farther, Apple should have purchased Connectix (the makers of Virtual PC) when they were on the market. They could have made it work well and then bundled it with every new Mac. That would not only have made it easier for Windows users to switch but could have opened more doors for Mac users too.
  14.    #34  
    Originally posted by zoomjuice
    I'll take it one step farther, Apple should have purchased Connectix (the makers of Virtual PC) when they were on the market. They could have made it work well and then bundled it with every new Mac. That would not only have made it easier for Windows users to switch but could have opened more doors for Mac users too.
    What an ingenious point of view! You are so right! Why didn't Jobs think of that?

OTOH, it is hard to compete with M$ megabucks when they want to buy a product, a market, or people in government or industry.

NateS

What an ingenious point of view! You are so right! Why didn't Jobs think of that?

OTOH, it is hard to compete with M$ megabucks when they want to buy a product, a market, or people in government or industry.

NateS
    Whoa there NateS. I think Zoomjuice had an alright idea. And Micro$oft bashing aside, Apple could have bought Connectix anytime it wanted to. MS was never even remotely interested in the company until they released their VirtualPC for Windows solutions. MS saw the acquisition as a fast and easy way into the virtual machine market that IBM has dominated for years.

So I don't think it had anything to do with being outbid, Apple just never had any interest in building in that kind of Windows compatibility into a shipping product. If you remember Rhapsody, it was originally supposed to ship with a "Red Box" windows compatibility layer (akin to the "Blue Box" or Classic environment now in OS X), but it got axed when Apple decided, as they always have, that Windows binary compatibility is not in their best interest (for whatever reason that is).

And while I have been known to fall under Steve's reality distortion field from time to time, but remember, Steve is by no means infallible, he's made countless senseless business mistakes. So I think ZoomJuice pointing out another acquisition that might have made sense for Apple is not such an end of the world event. So maybe cut the guy some slack.
  16.    #36  

Whoa there NateS. I think Zoomjuice had an alright idea. And Micro$oft bashing aside, Apple could have bought Connectix anytime it wanted to. MS was never even remotely interested in the company until they released their VirtualPC for Windows solutions. MS saw the acquisition as a fast and easy way into the virtual machine market that IBM has dominated for years.

So I don't think it had anything to do with being outbid, Apple just never had any interest in building in that kind of Windows compatibility into a shipping product. If you remember Rhapsody, it was originally supposed to ship with a "Red Box" windows compatibility layer (akin to the "Blue Box" or Classic environment now in OS X), but it got axed when Apple decided, as they always have, that Windows binary compatibility is not in their best interest (for whatever reason that is).

And while I have been known to fall under Steve's reality distortion field from time to time, but remember, Steve is by no means infallible, he's made countless senseless business mistakes. So I think ZoomJuice pointing out another acquisition that might have made sense for Apple is not such an end of the world event. So maybe cut the guy some slack.
    If my post came across as a criticism of Zoomjuice, it wasn't so intended. I really do think his suggestion would have made for a brilliant move by Apple, and that Stevo was wrong if he had the opportunity to pick up VPC and failed to do so. I didn't have any idea that that opportunity ever presented itself. I thought that VPC was that former company's flagship product and was surprised when they suddenly sold it to M$.

My conspiracy theory when I read of the purchase, FWIW, was that Gates bought the product in order to get rid of its ability to run Linux on a Mac, seeking to stem Linux's growing popularity but that's probably far-fetched.

NateS
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    That honor has to go to their handling of the i705/Palmnet rate hike in December '02. Power users were told their formerly "unlimited" $40/mo service would cost upwards of 6 times that for the same amount of usage... two months before the successor device (Tungsten W) would be released. To make matters worse, the T-W was viciously carrier-locked to AT&T -- not exactly known for inexpensive data rates -- and being carrier-locked was the reason behind the i705's demise.
    I got an unlocked Treo 270 shortly thereafter. :-)

Rusty J
    600GSM/270/90
    TT3/i705/Vx
    Everything That Rises Must Converge

If my post came across as a criticism of Zoomjuice, it wasn't so intended. I really do think his suggestion would have made for a brilliant move by Apple, and that Stevo was wrong if he had the opportunity to pick up VPC and failed to do so. I didn't have any idea that that opportunity ever presented itself. I thought that VPC was that former company's flagship product and was surprised when they suddenly sold it to M$.

My conspiracy theory when I read of the purchase, FWIW, was that Gates bought the product in order to get rid of its ability to run Linux on a Mac, seeking to stem Linux's growing popularity but that's probably far-fetched.

NateS
    Unfortunately, I think that's what most people think as well. Connectix decided to expand the VPC line to get into the virtual computer business on servers on the windows side (run multiple instances of WIN2k server on a single machine for instance). MS had been working on their own solution for it, but found acquiring Connectix to be faster/easier. Plus, they haven't actually killed Linux support at all. They just won't be shipping any retail Linux products, but that won't stop you from installing a Linux virtual machine.

Anyway, back to the topic. Shame on you PalmSource
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12