Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I saw a pic of this model in someone's hand and it's huge (and that was without the thumboard attached.) People who buy a Treo 600 bought it for its form factor and its functionality in that form factor, At least I did. Also this "phone" is GSM only. That leaves all of us Sprint users out. Hp can bring this "phone" out and believe me, I will not even blink.

-dan
    Nope,
    the real treo killer is Best Buy. Please review my photographic evidence.
    Seriously, I am just not a fan of the Mobile 2k3 or any mobile microsoft OS. The add-on thumb keyboard is a no no in my book.
    I also realize that the pic is not to scale but I get the impression that it's form factor won't be to my liking. Of course this is my opinion. I am however noticing the bluetooth and the wifi. Wifi isn't a big deal to me but I would dabble in bluetooth if our Treo600 had it and hopefully a third party solution will come about. However the GSM is a deal breaker for me personally because I am w/ Sprint and get a nice discount.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    I'll try not to put my hoof in my mouth.
    a). This phone is not out yet and it received 8.2 points for performance? Ouch.
    b). The iPAQ h6300 is Windows Mobile; that hurts my fuzzy antlers.
    c). iMac, iBook, iPod, Treo 600: They are all fine art. Nuff said
    Last edited by m00se; 02/15/2004 at 10:27 PM.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Here is the real HP unit...that was a mockup of what was rumored to be but is not as I understand it...

take a look

http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/preview_hp_ipaq_6000.asp

In either event, if it were real it would be massive compared to the treo, not very form fitting for the hand.
    Originally posted by RobM
    Here is the real HP unit...
    Looks like the 6000 not the 6300
    -Mark Twain
    > ...the real treo killer is Best Buy...

Perfect picture.

I purposefully visited the cellphone section of the FairLakes Virginia Best Buy to take a gander at the TREO 600. They had "two" on display - one was a dummy that was on a lanyard, the other was locked down I believe with TWO metal bars as you show but was NONfunctional - worse than the dummy one!

Rather than waste my life I walked away literally within seconds.

Now imagine I was a totally TREO-naive phone shopper who was merely browsing rather than someone EXPLICITLY there to see the TREO 600.

Sheesh.

What's that line up there at the top of this post?
    One thing you gotta give to Best Buy, though, their insurance replacement program is a no questions asked, get a new replacement if it's broken policy which, combined with their occasional discount coupons, makes for a much cheaper alternative for purchasing. But, every BB I've been in doesn't carry the T600
    Originally posted by Gasmeister
    One thing you gotta give to Best Buy, though, their insurance replacement program is a no questions asked, get a new replacement if it's broken policy which, combined with their occasional discount coupons, makes for a much cheaper alternative for purchasing. But, every BB I've been in doesn't carry the T600

Actually, that's one thing that has changed at BestBuy. You now have to jump through some hurdles before you can get a replacement and the objective now is to replace the same model!!

There is an 800 number you need to call, mail in the "damaged" unit for repair or replacement, etc.

It no longer is the "up grade" policy it used to be. Beware if this is what you're looking for!
    Last edited by bobbdd; 02/16/2004 at 02:39 PM.
    Thanks for the info. I'm not a proponent of BestBuy- generally they frustrate the heck outta me!
    WAY OT:

Yeah, don't count on the Best Buy warranty. I bought a Treo 90 from them about 9 months ago. Went belly-up around x-mas. I knew I could still send it in to Handspring, but hey, I bought that damned extended warranty so I wouldn't have to be without a handheld.

Two Best Buys and 3 hours later I get idiots in both stores who are absolutely confused about anything, "Yeah, Handspring went out of business, so we don't carry those anymore". And these were the heads of their in-store tech support departments. I would have tried to explain to them the truth, but I knew that there was no way I could possibly tell them anything they didn't already know. So I finally get them to OK to replace. When I bought the extended warranty they of course gave me the whole "feature-comparable" spiel. So at the least I wanted a color Palm. Keyboard would be nice, but color. So what did they offer to give me? A Palm Zire. Not even the 21 mind you, just the plain Zire. Needless to say I was a little indignant to that. Another hour of being bounced from one manager to another and they finally let me walk with a Clie SJ-22. Still a bad deal but I was tired of dealing with them.

Moral of the story, when they sell you those damn extended warranties, they'll tell you anything just to get you to buy it. Make sure they put it in writing on the warranty. Better yet, save your money and frustration and forego it all together.
    Originally posted by fperkins
    iPaq 6300
    MyPal A8100 is another candidate.

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.as...wComments=true

But I really think the upcoming Samsung SPH-i550 will definitely steal the spot light which T600 enjoys now. It will have a hi-res screen and a hi-res camera (1meg+) which T600 lacks. It is said to be out around mid 2004.
    Originally posted by mcyang

But I really think the upcoming Samsung SPH-i550 will definitely steal the spot light which T600 enjoys now. It will have a hi-res screen and a hi-res camera (1meg+) which T600 lacks. It is said to be out around mid 2004.
    no keyboard though ..
    Originally posted by mcyang

Mcyang, has Rave leaked any new info over at pdaphone about the i550 and i530 recently? I really want to believe the mid 2004 prediction, by knowing Samsung's track record, I just can't believe it!

Anyway regarding the h6300. This definitely a power-house device, but it does not compete with the Treo600. It is first of all a wireless pda, hence PPC 2003 phone ed and not M$ smartphone. Thus it is targetting a completely different niche than the Treo600. The real competition for the Treo600 comes from products like the P910, MPx220, Mio 8390 and Siemens SX, Sendo X etc...all which are tremendous competing platforms btw. Another porblems is that the h6300 is going to be very expensive and too bulky for everyday phone usage...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by mcyang MyPal A8100 is another candidate.
    OK, I can't help asking. In the link you have provided here, on the left side there's a survey, see it? That survey is for the PDAs with most clicks. The second place in that survey goes to Treo 610 (and it has a link to it to boot!). My goodness: There is no Treo 610.
    Leute sind verrückt
    -Mark Twain
    ...what about the iPaq 6630... supposed to at CeBit Hanover. They are saying that it could be released in conjunction with Mobile Operators to compete directly with the Treo600.

Nice spec with every form of wireless techno incorporated including GPS but that clip-on (fall-off) keyboard is a show stopper for me.

They say it's a 'marriage' of the iPaq 5530 and 4350. Hmmm... is that good?
    Just read it in 01 informatique which has pics (sorry, the website 01net.com is in French and no pics ).

Gee, I'm really not up to speed on all this iPaq stuff. Are they really as rubbish as I'm led to believe? After all, there are some pretty diehard iPaq lovers out there. Are they all mad (or am I)? Are we all in a tiny niche market? How many phone iPaqs are out there? Do you think that one day, Treo and iPaq lovers will unite in global harmony and there will be Treo/iPaq offspring...
    www.gsmworld.com
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Mcyang, has Rave leaked any new info over at pdaphone about the i550 and i530 recently? I really want to believe the mid 2004 prediction, by knowing Samsung's track record, I just can't believe it!

RAVE said the shipping of the OS 5 version of i550/i530 at around mid year and an OS 6 version of i550/i530 by end of the year are their goals. He believed that these goals are realistic and it won't be a repeat of sgh-i500 saga. He claimed that Samsung had learned the lesson. We just have to wait and see.

He also said the external color screen on i550 is bigger than the one on the sgh-i500 shown earlier. It sounds like a great offering in the clam shell phone . The down side is it doesn't have either keyboard or BT. If the next Treo phone offers hi-res screen, hi-res camera, BT and keyboard, it'll become i550/i530 killer.
    Originally posted by m00se

OK, I can't help asking. In the link you have provided here, on the left side there's a survey, see it? That survey is for the PDAs with most clicks. The second place in that survey goes to Treo 610 (and it has a link to it to boot!). My goodness: There is no Treo 610.
    Leute sind verrückt
    It is one of rumours floating around. It may be false. But I won't be surprised if it turns out to be true though. Handspring said at the time they released the T600 that they had worked on a hi-res model. They chose the low res T600 for the brightness and power saving. With the feedbacks they have heard, they understand that people really demand a hi-res screen. A quick release of T610 is entirely possible, with a higher price tag. The rumoured March shipping may be too aggressive. Also the BT inclusion is suspecious to me too. The problem is Sprint, unless the T610 is targeted for a Verizon release. ??
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    This is potentially a real Treo killer...but probably some time out

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/inde...topic_id=24697
    Originally posted by RobM
    This is potentially a real Treo killer...but probably some time out
    http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/inde...topic_id=24697
    Again. At this point Windows Mobile SmartPhones are not a direct threat to Palm-operating devices. In the future: Who knows? My recycled 2 cents on this...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast