Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    I have been on both sides and I can appreciate pros and cons from both. The Windows powered devices are certainly more flashy, while the Palm powered device seem to have a hell of alot more support. I used a palm for awhile, then switched to a Pocket PC unit. Owned it for many years until it died. Went looking for a phone/advanced PDA to replace it. The Windows powered smartphones seemed too stripped down to be a "smartphone" so jumped back over to Palm. I love my Treo 600 but would love a little more "umfff" to it...but maybe in future units. Anyway, the windows powered smartphones have probably a few years to go to catch up with the Palm powered phones but at that time, maybe Microsoft will understand what people are looking for...then again maybe not.

Sorry for rambling on...just my 3 cents.

rob
    Originally posted by Schmoozer

Again. At this point Windows Mobile SmartPhones are not a direct threat to Palm-operating devices. In the future: Who knows? My recycled 2 cents on this...
    Okay, I'm going to have to eat my own words from earlier in this thread, but the MPx300 looks like it actually could be a Treo600 killer! It is PPC2003 PE, but it definitely is phone-centric unlike the MDA or i700... I think in this case, this is competition for the Treo600...and a dmaned cool one at that!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic ...but the MPx300 looks like it actually could be a Treo600 killer!
    gfunkmagic, et al --
    I do enjoy seeing new products. However, and not to distract you and others from this subject of Treo 600 killers, I think we need to look at the T600 as a work in progress. There will always be competitive products on the market, this is a cutthroat business. What is new today is old tomorrow: That is the beauty of technology and, perhaps, it's ugly side too (we are sucked into spending more money...). I read many posts here about new Treo killers. Well, they might kill the current Treo eventually but the next Treo will retaliate and so forth. (To children who might reading this: Killing is bad!)
    I say: Love The One You're With
    Last edited by m00se; 02/19/2004 at 10:27 PM.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    I think it is assumed that the future products will always be better than current (not always true), but we are only looking at a snapshot in time...cant compare the phone of today with the communicator of tomorrow...now what I mean...

rob
    Originally posted by m00se

This tread is certainly not about flag waving for Treo.

It is about the info exchange for the new offerings being either announced or leaked out from different vendors and those new phones offer substantial advantages over T600. If Treo got something even better than those phones (i550, MPX300, MyPal A8100, etc.), let's hear it. It is very difficult, but however very exciting to keep tracking the fast changing technology happening in the PDAphone market. You need to know what you want and what vendors have or will have, so you can make a good decision. I'm still using i330 and looking for an upgrade. So far, the T600, i500, all the PPC phone and MS Smart phone offerings just don't give me enough to make a move. But I do see some new phones on the horizon are very interesting, like i550, MPX300, and myPal A8100. PPC PE phones finally came around and could pose serious threat to Palm phones with new innovative designs and interesting form factors. These new competitions can only result in better products and pricing in the PDAphone market over time. But you have to keep your eyes and ears open all the time if you want to be a knowledge buyer.
    Originally posted by m00se

gfunkmagic, et al --
    I do enjoy seeing new products. However, and not to distract you and others from this subject of Treo 600 killers, I think we need to look at the T600 as a work in progress. There will always be competitive products on the market, this is a cutthroat business. What is new today is old tomorrow: That is the beauty of technology and, perhaps, it's ugly side too (we are sucked into spending more money...). I read many posts here about new Treo killers. Well, they might kill the current Treo eventually but the next Treo will retaliate and so forth. (To children who might be reading this: Killing is bad!)
    I am with you m00se (BTW, where does a m00se learn to write so well?). Having said that, I love new gadgets, so I hope the newer Treo will be as exciting and fun as the competition. Knowing myself, I will buy it immediately!
    what we know:

Palm cannot put Cobalt on smartphone until very late this year or early next year, hence why they have Garnet.

rumor of 610 seems to be a minor upgrade of 600 with hi-res+ BT.

Since treo cannot compete against mpx300 and h6000, it's over.
    Originally posted by suskind

Since treo cannot compete against mpx300 and h6000, it's over.
    In the GSM world, T600 will have tougher competitions with the new arrivals of PPC PE phones as well as the Samsung sgh-i530. In the CDMA world, Treo is confronting mainly with the Samsung sph-i500/i550. If Treo can release a new model with a hi-res screen, a hi-res camera, and BT in the second half of the year, it can still prevail and dominate.
    It would still run on garnet 5.4. That OS can't compete, specially in multiwireless and multitasking.

Palmone need Cobalt with high res out by late summer with all the feature if they want to compete.
    I like this one...even though there's no thumbboard, I think this one will kill the treo when it comes out in a month or so...Motorola A768...I might grab that one...

http://gsmarena.com/phone661.php

look at the stats on that....woohoo

96 MB memory
    240x320 65k colors
    handwriting AND speech recognition
    Digital Video/Still Camera
    Bluetooth

AND

Linux!!!!

Yeah it's like comparing apples and oranges...but when you look at it, both apples and oranges are round

It does everything the treo does and then some...can't wait!
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    I like this one...even though there's no thumbboard, I think this one will kill the treo when it comes out in a month or so..
    Wow you guys are killing the Treo so quickly.
    This phone is GSM 900 / GSM 1800, I do not see GSM 1900 for the US. Then there's no thumboard...
    Looks cute but ain't enough for me to give up my T600.
    -Mark Twain
    ...Since treo cannot compete against mpx300 and h6000, it's over.
    What is over? Gosh, PalmOne is not going to just hang itself up to dry. Doomsdays are made for fools ,sorry.
    -Mark Twain
    It's over in the same sense as '5.0 is last season product'.
    So everyone understands:

suskind = PurpleX = Ska!!!

Hello ska!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Garnet is an enhanced OS 5.x and will support scalable fonts, high resolutions and richer graphics. It also supports limited multitasking. For cell phone applications, Garnet is actually quite sufficient and requires less resources and power. Cobalt will be more suitable for PDA with larger screen, mini tablet, or high end PDAphones. There won't be very many softwares for Colbalt this year anyway. I was told that sph-i550 Cobalt will be a blow out phone. It could be released before the end of the year. Treo needs to respond soon or ...
    You are talking as soneone with smartphone knowledge. The average consumer is looking for function over what technology is underneath.

It would still run on garnet 5.4. That OS can't compete, specially in multiwireless and multitasking.

Palmone need Cobalt with high res out by late summer with all the feature if they want to compete.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Originally posted by yardie
    You are talking as soneone with smartphone knowledge. The average consumer is looking for function over what technology is underneath.
    average customer doesn't spend $400+ on a handheld phone...
    Sure they do. Its a status thing. They want to have the coolest gadgets to show off to their friends even though they don't know how to use it.

average customer doesn't spend $400+ on a handheld phone...
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Say, Look at this............

http://gsmarena.com/index.php3?sRedi...m/phone661.php

scroll to the bottom and look at the list of phones

MPX300 listed
    The key for PalmOne now is to come up with smarphones that can be had for less than $100 after carrier rebates. The mainstream users out there don't know/care about multitasking or multithreading or BT or high resolution screen. If you can give them 80% of treo 600 for $99.99, they will outsell any MPX300 or i505 by a wide margin.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast