Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Musician Peter Gabriel got a Treo when it first came out--a model 180--in early 2002, Colombano said. Reed saw it and called up for one. Later, Gabriel and Reed went to dinner with Laurie Anderson, who asked for one, after she saw them making phone calls.

Soon after, assistants for composer Philip Glass, jazz musician Branford Marsalis and Metallica requested, and received, Treo units for their bosses.

They're all free, of course. It would be unseemly to ask a multimillionaire for money. So far, Colombano has given away about 300 of the handhelds.

"There are two types of people," he said. "There are the ones that say, 'Thank you, it's great.' Then there are the people that say, 'Can I get another one? I need four more.'"

I COULD NOT BELIEVE THIS RATIONALE. SO THE THINKING IS, PALMONE WILL GIVE AWAY ALL OF ITS TREOS TO MILLIONAIRES FOR FREE, BC THEY ARE RICH, BUT THE REST OF THE POOR SUCKERS OUT THERE WHO ARE NOT RICH HAVE TO PAY THE PREMIUMS... $600. UNBELIEVABLE! HOW IS IT UNSEEMLY TO NOT TO CHARGE RICH FOLKS MONEY, BUT MAKE THE WORKING MAN PAY THROUGH HIS NOSE?! ABSOLUTE BULL....!!! WHAT A COUNTRY!
  2.    #2  
    I find it hard to believe no one has blown the whistle on this one... in my opinion this is blatant corruption... maybe im wrong.

but something smells very bad about it. if these people have money coming from their noses, then youd think they`d be almost insulted if they were given treos free. make THEM PAY premiums. palmone should be giving treos away free to people who DONT HAVE MULTIMILLIONS OF DOLLARS!

does anyone else see this as completely bass akwards as well?
    on the business side of this, palmOne is making an investment. If they can make this product fly with the millionaires who can burn cash, then maybe they will invest a few thousand in stocks. How can a lower class guy pull that kind of money out of his hat...I think that palmOne made a nice decision...because if these millionaires do invest money in palmOne, we get bigger and better products for a lower price.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    How do you think that, say, novice fashion designers get their start ???

They get a star to wear their creation to the academy awards, or the grammys, or the emmys.... AND, the stars wears fantastic DIAMOND JEWLERY, and $12,000 handbags.... AND IT IS FREE< FREE< FREE!

ANd, when these style setters are written up in the mags, THE PUBLICITY IS INVALUABLE.

Remember the thread last week about (maybe) seeing a T600 in some TV show? IT IS CALLED PRODUCT PLACEMENT! We see Cokes/Pepsi's in movies, Cars, anything the manufacturer can get IN FRONT of the consumer.

So, I think the PALMONE is SMART (on this, anyway) and we should acknowledge that anything that is done to popularize the T600, will ultimately lead to better devices/lower prices.

Now, WHY do these multi-million dollar ooofs that play football get rewarded with Rolexes, cars, etc.....
    Hitting 'Em Hard, Long and Straight
    Look, you twits -- what are we talking about right now? We're talking about the freakin' Treo. While we would be doing this anyway, normal folks would see these famous people with a weird, cool handheld device and ask what the thing is!

When you turn into a 5,000 foot tall walking billboard, people will ask you to display their products, too. Now shut up.

Edit: SprintTreo600 & Architect beat me to the punch.
    I seriously doubt it has anything to do with investing. more likely it's a marketing ploy... People will buy it *because* a celebrity is using it. Endorsements sell products.
    why do businesses hire "celebrities" to hawk their products?

this is the same diff. get the product out to the "special" ppl and may be there fans will be influenced to buy it also.

fyi there is already a thread on this in the treo forum.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Just a normal day in hollywood, actually:

Just because someone is a millionaire superstar doesn't mean they have any class.

The stars that present at the Oscars (and I think those in the audience) get thousand's of dollars worth of gifts like electronics, jewelry, perfume, etc. just for showing up.

On 'the apprentice' last night, the contestants were asking famous people like Regis, Carson Daly, and Russell Simmons to donate their time for a charity auction. They balked at any suggestion that would actually cost them money or make them change their plans in any way.

Being rich and famous is all about having your ego stroked. They want to be loved and showered with gifts.

The rest of us live in the real world.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by snerdy
    Look, you twits -- what are we talking about right now? We're talking about the freakin' Treo. While we would be doing this anyway, normal folks would see these famous people with a weird, cool handheld device and ask what the thing is!

When you turn into a 5,000 foot tall walking billboard, people will ask you to display their products, too. Now shut up.

Edit: SprintTreo600 & Architect beat me to the punch.
    easy, snerdy, jesus! ok, i see what you are saying, but for god sake, nastiness is a little unnecessary
    Originally posted by satyric
    I seriously doubt it has anything to do with investing. more likely it's a marketing ploy... People will buy it *because* a celebrity is using it. Endorsements sell products.
    Isn't that investing?
    Originally posted by treobk214
    nastiness is a little unnecessary
    Sorry.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    relax my babies...just listen to the soothing sound of "Swoosh" celebrities get stuff for free because of exposure, other get stuff for free because they steal it...what's the big deal?
    Originally posted by treobk214
    ..I COULD NOT BELIEVE THIS RATIONALE. SO THE THINKING IS, PALMONE WILL GIVE AWAY ALL OF ITS TREOS TO MILLIONAIRES FOR FREE, BC THEY ARE RICH, BUT THE REST OF THE POOR SUCKERS OUT THERE WHO ARE NOT RICH HAVE TO PAY THE PREMIUMS... $600. UNBELIEVABLE! HOW IS IT UNSEEMLY TO NOT TO CHARGE RICH FOLKS MONEY, BUT MAKE THE WORKING MAN PAY THROUGH HIS NOSE?! ABSOLUTE BULL....!!! WHAT A COUNTRY!...
    Well, it's really not a "country" thing, other than we are a free-enterprise country. Meaning, a company can choose who to give away, and not give away, things to. In this case (assuming the story is true), it would probably be in PalmOne's best interest to give away to millionaires instead of everyday working people. I can think of two reasons why:

1 - There are fewer millionaires, thus a smaller need to give away.
    2 - Millionaires are much more imitated than poor people, or even average every day normal people. I don't think I know anyone that bought a Treo 600 because "Herb Parsons" has one. And everyone I know also knows Herb Parsons.
    Last nite I asked my wife what she would like for valentines, she showed me a clip of madonna wearing a Rolex as a second choice a photo of JLO showing off her engament diamond ring, what will happen to me if I dont comply?? cannot eat triple A choice meat for a long time
    Hey, do you think that if I can prove to PalmOne that I'm a millionaire, they would give me my money back?
    Speaking of "celebrities" using treo's, was that a Treo300 I saw Mark Geragos using in court on a tv clip the other night?

Wonder if he got it free.

I guess the Treo 600 was not an option because of the built-in camera...
    Advertising is advertising - who cares how PalmOne goes about it?

Except...

If it isn't cost-effective, then it's a waste of money.

Historically, HAND and PALM have demonstrated an amazing ineptitude at advertising - no one knew what MOST of their devices were, much less the TREO line. If their current attempt(s) at getting some "buzz" don't fly, they've simply proven that they're consistent.
    They should have Justin and Janet Jackson preform again on TV, and this time instead of a boob popping out, have it be a treo 600! LOL that would get attention...
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    I saw Dr. Phil on tv waving his Treo around in the back seat of his car. The way I see it, $600 for that kind of advertising is CHEAP!
    This is my Treo. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Treo is my best freind. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Treo without me is useless. Without my Treo, I am useless......
    Remember that when Handspring hands out a treo it costs them a LOT less than $600. Even if it cost them thousands it would be worth it. Ever see the first half of a People or US magazine? Should the Treo ever appear in places like that attached to a celeb they will be paid back handsomly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast