1.    #1  
    Treo 600 or otherwise, they look like they are reposition their OSes, with 6 being for high end devices, and 5 being for Smart phones.

Read all about it here
    I thought it said OS 5 for lower cost smartphones, but OS 6 for high-end devices and high-end smartphones.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    bcaslis is right. OS 5 (whatever it is called in the future) is not for high end cellphones, which the Treo surely is. I stand by my prediction of a Zire branded cell phone.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer I stand by my prediction of a Zire branded cell phone.
    Hmmm...interesting. So the T600 will be gone? Any predictions on specs (keyboard, dig cam, MP3, high-rez screen, etc)?
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Originally posted by m00se

Hmmm...interesting. So the T600 will be gone? Any predictions on specs (keyboard, dig cam, MP3, high-rez screen, etc)?
    No. Treo will live on as the high end brand. They will release a Zire phone with a smaller feature set.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    No. Treo will live on as the high end brand. They will release a Zire phone with a smaller feature set.
    OK, you got my attention. Assuming the Zire Phone is a smart-phone, the competition is getting stiffer by the day. Can PalmOne compete with established phone companies such as Nokia, Samsung, Motorola and such? And why?
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Because it offers the PalmOS. As Palm has already shown with the Zire, the hardware is really not expensive at all, so if done simply, in a package that is not overwhelming (like the Samsung i500) without as techie looking as the Treo, it just may work.
    you're probably right on with the zire phone.

what I hope palmone will do is produce two types:

1) a treo that measures up to everything a pocket pc can do, speedwise and memory-wise. ie. 400mhz, 64 mb, sd slot, screen res, etc

2) the zire phone- to compete with nokia on the common market.

I really would like to see palmone produce a hybrid that boasts all of the high-end features that a pocket pc can offer. this will truly sway people from the ipaq's and the xda II's toward the treoline in my opinion.
    Don't make the mistake of comparing specs between PalmOS and PocketPC devices. 32MB on the Treo probably is at least as useful as 64MB on a PPC device, because the OS and apps are so much smaller. And while Windoze is getting better, one of the reasons PPC devices need fast processors is because the OS, and many of the apps, are so darn slow. And you pay for the faster processor and extra RAM in the form of higher power consumption.

I like my 32MB Treo just fine, thanks.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    ...(like the Samsung i500) without as techie looking as the Treo, it just may work.
    So a simpler product: Perhaps no keyboard and with the Palm Operating System. Love the idea! I will order mine for $200.00
    Originally posted by Schmoozer

So a simpler product: Perhaps no keyboard and with the Palm Operating System. Love the idea! I will order mine for $200.00
    Yep. Picture a normal phone (Samsung, Nokia, LG, etc) with a normal screen and a normal form factor. Then instead of whatever OS they use, add PalmOS. Then add a sync port and you're done. Make it white like the Zire and that's it! Oh, and cross market it as Zire iPhone with Apple.