1.    #1  
    I am not much of a complainer but here it goes. Sprint has managed the most ridiculous business strategy I haver ever seen, here is the breakdown.

1) Purchased a 500$ Treo 600, was told by the salesperson it had SMS text messaging. I was happy.

2) Got it home, SMS text messaging does not work.

3) Called technical support 3 different times, each time I was told that it would be a week or so and they would SMS text messaging working.

4) 1.25 months later I called them a fourth time, was told it would be up by last Thursday, still no SMS text messaging.

5) Called yesterday after recieving a notice to download a large file and update my Treo software from Sprint the night before, still no SMS text messaging.

6) Called technical support a 5th time today. They said that SMS text messaging is really not a required service that is offered by Sprint. After further explanation they explained that they are really not obligated to give it to us. Although they market the phone that way. I was told to be patient, That there is nothing they can do to reimburse a consumer for a service they market with the phone, while there is no service available. They further explained that it says in the computer it will be ready by February 2nd 2004.

7) Got bounced to a higher level technical support, They actually told me that they internally are giving us Sprint users the service for free and since they are, they are really not obligated to have it working. I asked if I could pay for it since they marketed the service with the phone, on the box, and on the webpage. They said it was not available. I asked why it mattered if they were giving it to me for free then. No answer.

Has anyone ever gotten the feeling that these telcos are the worst people in the world. The sell the phone, market its capabilities and once you call them on it they simply say there not obligated to provide anything to you. They even take it as far as to say "be patient". Sprint is freakin embarrassing.
    Scott T DeBlaze
    If you got a Sprint customer service rep that knows what SMS is, you are doing better than I ever did. My experience has been from friendly but not very knowledgeable to dont' care I have a problem and not very knowledgeable.

If it were not for these boards, I would probably have thrown the 600 in the garbage. For the record, I got the email, updated the firmware and still no SMS.

I also cannot get pop3 email to work with my Sprint account. Try getting customer service to help with that one.

Robert
    As nice as the Treo 600 is, it totally blows for text messaging, just like all of Sprint's other phones. It's not the phone itself, perse - it's just Sprint's lousy messaging implementation.

What's sad is, my company provided phone is a simple Nokia phone with Cingular service. And text messaging is super fast - less than 5 seconds from point to point.

Pretty sad when a 600 dollar phone with SMS built in can't SMS.
    Scott
  4.    #4  
    I love the phone overall, but I guess the thing that really chaps my azz, is the fact that they market a product with a set of functions. Yet all the functions do not work EG SMS. They have absolutely no remorse for falsly advertising a set of functions or a service with there phone and they go even further by telling me that I need to be patient. Its the classic bait and switch. I hope they get sued, I am reporting them to the better business bureau.
    Scott T DeBlaze
    If one had done their homework(search), they would find the following about the Treo 600.

-the upgraded firmware is FREE ( and also required re: Palm)

-text messaging will be free (grandfathered in if you have Vision before Feb 3/04 per SPrint

--just because you bought a Treo600 does not mean that SPrint must GIVE you text messaging. Handspring stated that text messaging is POSSIBLE. Sprint stated this also. YOu have to specifically either have Visions or request to CSR that you want to add text messaging to your plan.

I had the treo300. Sprint discounted my account 20 bucks because text messaging was not around at that time. I had to use a 3rd party software called Treo300sms from www.PDAAPPS.com. This cost 20 bucks a year to use. But since Sprint gave me the 20 back..I got it free.

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    sdeblaze, if you go to your SPCS.com, text messaging settings/preferences, there are options in which you can set up how you would like to send/recieve SMS messages.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    for the record i hate sprint. ive dealt with them for 4 years and had nothign but horrible customer service. as for the text messaging, after repeatedly emailign and callign them i finally got to a guy that actually knew what was going on. there is a national sms rollout coming by mid-feburary, it has been implented is soem test markets but due to some internal server apacity issues they delayed the feb. 3 launch. if your heavily reliant on texting leik i am you'll be gld to knwo that the 1.10 update does fix the issues with the browser shortmail on your treo. once u update u will be able to access it agian, u can still recieve text messagign the right way now, i had a fridn on tmaoblie test it and it came through perfectly, not the link to goto shortmail. also, for users of treo600 sms from pda apps, it will still work with the 1.10 update u just have to reverify with their proxy. just reset your password and hit apply.

PS for all those very upset i say we all email spritn and demand a vision refund for this month :-)
    Originally posted by nuro
    for the record i hate sprint. ive dealt with them for 4 years and had nothign but horrible customer service. as for the text messaging, after repeatedly emailign and callign them i finally got to a guy that actually knew what was going on. there is a national sms rollout coming by mid-feburary, it has been implented is soem test markets but due to some internal server apacity issues they delayed the feb. 3 launch. if your heavily reliant on texting leik i am you'll be gld to knwo that the 1.10 update does fix the issues with the browser shortmail on your treo. once u update u will be able to access it agian, u can still recieve text messagign the right way now, i had a fridn on tmaoblie test it and it came through perfectly, not the link to goto shortmail. also, for users of treo600 sms from pda apps, it will still work with the 1.10 update u just have to reverify with their proxy. just reset your password and hit apply.

PS for all those very upset i say we all email spritn and demand a vision refund for this month :-)
    wow...i have nothing to add to this thread but had to mention the typoes in this post...wow

are you typing on a treo? or is your keyboard missing some letters?
    Last edited by Slk24kgj; 02/03/2004 at 01:39 PM.
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    i hte you
    I'd feel upset too if a salesperson told me my phone had sms too and it doesn't but it doesn't... yet. guess you just talked to the wrong person...

it will be available though
    i also had a salesman tell me SMS was working on Sprint. Luckily I realized he was wrong that day, made a stink to Sprint, returned the Treo 600 to Best Buy and reverted everything I had done with Sprint while reactivating my old phone.

This was with my first Treo 600, my new one is in a box waiting for a Sprint suprevisor to get back to me to tell me how much of a credit he will be giving me towards the 600.
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    As stated above, PDA apps sms application worked great for me until I had to switch out my Treo300. (I have started another tread on this issue.)

PDA Apps is running their own sms server proxy server and it was pretty reliable. I would agree with the majority of the crowd; the less I have to depend on Sprint, the better.

Russ
    Sprint customer service does suck.

However, there is a way to use the SMS feature on teh Treo 600, but not via Sprint (ugh). Go to www.pdaapps.com and buy their Treo600 SMS software ($19.95). Now I'm able to send and receive SMS messages. We'll see when Sprint finally decides to roll out the long-awaited SMS functionality for the Treo 600. I'm not holding my breath though. Sigh.
    I go Don Town, Were did you get this info?
    -text messaging will be free (grandfathered in if you have Vision before Feb 3/04 per SPrint
    I hear all kinds of answers from no,yes, for only three months, 100SMS free?
    Give us the scoop. Thanks
    Called to confirm this last night...

My plan:
    2000 min 85 bucks
    UnlimitedVision Pic pack
    Unlimted Picture mail
    Unlimited E/W 9pm

Rep stated that since I have the Treo 600 that is already SMS ready and have visions plan...I will be grandfathered into the Ulimited text messaging free of charge.

Key Point"

AS LONG AS I KEPT THIS SAME PLAN AND MADE NO CHANGES ....I would not be charged with MO-SMS text messaging.

So whatever your plan is as of Feb 3,2004 and you have Vision and a MO-SMS text messaging enabled phone......AND YOU STAY WITH THIS PLAN TILL ATLEAST THE END OF THE CONTRACT....you will not be charged with text messaging services.

IGO
    Originally posted by scandalex
    sdeblaze, if you go to your SPCS.com, text messaging settings/preferences, there are options in which you can set up how you would like to send/recieve SMS messages.
    I don't see any of this...can anyone confirm this?????

IGO

EDIT: Found it.......I guess they updated the site since I last looked. Now I can set how I receive my text messages...cool...!!

IGO
    Last edited by IGoDwnTwn34; 02/05/2004 at 10:38 AM.