Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    If Apple can install a 40 GB drive on its iPod, which is about half the thickness of a Treo 600, why did Handspring install such a measley amount of memory on this phone?
    I would guess it has to do with price point. The iPod is a relatively simple device. It plays music, has few controls, and has a basic black and white screen. The Treo has to be a phone, a PDA, and a camera, it has a much more expensive screen and the CPU is required to do a lot more things which means it has to be more complex. It also has lots of controls (many keys and switches plus the touch screen) which means lots of $$$ spent on design and engineering. Add all that up and it becomes hard to get a big HDD in there for a reasonable price - not to mention the physical space and battery usage with a device that is already somewhat large and power hungry.
    Originally posted by glenada
    If Apple can install a 40 GB drive on its iPod, which is about half the thickness of a Treo 600, why did Handspring install such a measley amount of memory on this phone?
    What I really want to know is why an iPod can't receive phone calls, connect to the internet, play games, check email...

Oh wait, maybe there's an answer in buried in the question somewhere...
    People complain already about the battery life of the Treo. Imagine if it had to spin a disk! Eeek!
    I love my iPod and my Treo, and never thought of them as foes. Seriously, though, to store some 2,500-10,000 songs (even in an MP3 format) you need lots of GB.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    1. power consumption (as mentioned above)

2. access speed (the disk access would be 10 to 100 x slower than RAM access).

3. put in an SD card! (get a 512 MB one now... wait a month or so and get a 1 GB one)

(Can the treo handle that big an SD card?)
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I already have a 256 MB card in my Treo. Apps, songs, photos, and such are on the card with room to spare.