1.    #1  
    Are we all going to be using Symbian OS 18 months from now?
    Article from Infosync
    palmOne considering alternative platforms
    By: Jørgen Sundgot, Tuesday 27th January 2004, 17:20 GMT

A Swedish publication cites palmOne's Head of Europe on the company's interest in considering alternative platforms for its products - and his fascination for Nokia

In an interview with a Swedish publication, palmOne's Head of Europe, Vesey Crichton, has made several remarks which are certain to raise a few eyebrows among Palm OS diehards. Conducted during a recent European tour made by Crichton, the interview leaves little doubt that palmOne is considering alternative operating systems for use the company's mobile devices, although Crichton is not quoted directly on this.

Expressing his fascination for Nokia's operating system and in particular its interface, Crichton also said the Finnish manufacturer has unresolved issues with data synchronization - a widely held opinion.

Among the most important qualities for a platform, Crichton listed ease of use along with the ability to synchronize tasks, sporting a well-developed calendar, contacts database and to-do list. Also, Crichton said that a good choice of applications would have to be available, but that Palm OS was indeed "not viewed internally as a religion".

Despite having only recently split into two companies, the company formerly known as Palm does indeed seem to have successfully managed to divide the previously closely knit software and hardware parts of its operations, as the hardware arm is now considering the use of alternative platforms.

Other recent events also indicate a long-term strategy plan being effectuated by palmOne, such as its recent announcement to cut its workforce due to its recent merger with Handspring, and refocus its efforts on smartphones
    Expressing his fascination for Nokia's operating system and in particular its interface
    I have never understood this. What's so great about the Nokia interface? I never found it to be particularly good on the Nokia phones I had.
  3.    #3  
    They are referring to the Symbian OS, which is dominating in Europe. Newer smartphones from Nokia, along with some SonyEricsson phones use Symbian. It is a direct competitor to PocketPC, and it's bloodline dates back to PSION.
    I understand that Nokia uses Symbian, but I don't understand why people like the interface (I assume they are refering to the user interface). Even when I look at current Nokia phones, I think they're pretty bad, particularly the physical form factor. Nokia has been producing some pretty crappy designs lately (3650 anyone?).
    Symbian is the mobile OS, or platform. It is funded by a consortium of comopanies, mostly Nokia and to a lesser extent SE and others. Motorola recently dropped out.

Symbian has multiple UI's. Series 60 is a popular version that Nokia is the creator of. This UI version does not use a touch screen. Siemens, Sendo, and Nokia are all using this UI

UIQ is another interface used by Motorola and Sony Ericsson. This version is driven by a touch-screen.

Thus, Symbian can take different shapes while still remaining the same operating system
    THIS IS GOOD and bad

Symbian=multi-tasking
    palm=relevant and FREE apps (meaning it wont cost me 2000 dollars for an SSH client and no pong games)

hmmm...maybe if they merged the two....I think we would all like that
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    Symbian=multi-tasking
    palm=relevant and FREE apps (meaning it wont cost me 2000 dollars for an SSH client and no pong games)
    Actually, the Putty port to Series 60 is marvelous and free.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/handset/n...s/s2putty.html
    I wish they had Putty for the Palm
    Palm loves Nokia.

There has been talk about Palm/Nokia partnership for a long time now. There was even talk of taking the Symbian kernal and making it part of the Palm OS. Here is an excerpt from the artical I link to above......

"In the past Nokia and Palm collaborated on a project to put Palm's user interface onto a Symbian core, and Symbian and Palm once talked vaguely of releasing joint roadmaps."
    If you understand, things are just as they are. If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Does anyone know if the name "palmOne" can be used on a device that does not use the palm operating system? Thanx for any insight into this matter, as this seems to be a critical marketing issue. Any ideas on how an alternate OS could be effectively marketed by palmOne?