1.    #1  
    OK, I had to post this experience. I tried bidding on treo 600 GSMs but their prices on eBay were outrageously high so I bailed out. In any event, since then, I have been receiving eMails from Romania to NY of people offering to sell me the Treo 600 for as low as $300 (they must have gotten my eMail off eBay). Obviously it is a scam, especially when the "sellers" ask for (only!) a Western Union cash transaction. It seems as though the Treo 600 is a hot a commodity in the US and Europe, and some people are trying to take advantage of it. It's the supply-and-demand phenomenon that Handspring may not have envisioned -- and PalmOne can't keep up with -- thus people are willing to pay a fortune for this gadget while others are trying to make a buck even by faking eMails. And here I am still waiting for T-Mobile to offer the T600.
    Last edited by m00se; 01/27/2004 at 01:18 PM.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    same thing happened to me when I was selling one ...I got alot of e-mails... one wuestion though ..how could they get my e-mail address when they weren't the highest bidder ...andI never got an email from e-bay for an info request ...i just fiound that odd...

I believe the phones that are going for more than retail are the unlocked ons ..thats why they are selling for a premium.. and the ones that they are selling for like $300 are usually bought with stolen CC's usually from ebay members (under the table). They will ask them to end auction early ..pay a premium via paypal, the seller is happy until a week later when he finds out there is about $700 less in his paypal acct.
    Last edited by evilhomer; 01/27/2004 at 01:50 AM.
    Originally posted by evilhomer
    same thing happened to me when I was selling one ...I got alot of e-mails... one wuestion though ..how could they get my e-mail address when they weren't the highest bidder
    You don't have to be the highest bidder. If you "ask seller a question" and provide an eBay user ID and password, you can send an e-mail (blind, you don't know the other person's e-mail unless they respond to you). You can do this for sellers, or other bidders.

Louis
    the only problem with that was that it usually says its from ebay..this was just from his personal e-mail. and not even the one he uses on ebay.....for instance if someone emails me from ebay it would give me their user id and e-mail address and usually item number... this was not like that at all ...I was just wondering if there were another way for him to get my e-mail address....
  5.    #5  
    the only problem with that was that it usually says its from ebay..this was just from his personal e-mail.
    Precisely. There must be a way to find eMails on eBay. A point of interest: If you click on the history of a certain auction (or the number of bids) you'd get a list of all bidders. In some cases however you will receive a message saying that a particular bid is private and the names of bidders will not appear. It might be a way to avoid intruders. Still, I am puzzled how people can get my eMail so easily on eBay without my permission.
    Last edited by m00se; 01/27/2004 at 07:35 PM.
    -Mark Twain
    I am currently bidding on an auction and cannot figure out a way to get the sellers e-mail without doing the info request and that would send him a notification ... i never received a notification. So there must be another way I just can't figure it out ...
    Please understand that all you have to do to give up your email information is to bid on an item. The seller gets access to email information of any bidder, the purpose of which is to protect the seller from potential fraudulent bidders.

Apparently, eBay did not think that there will be fraudulent sellers also. There are a lot of sellers like this with the goal of harvesting emails although they could be selling legitimate items and running auction. These sellers usually has several emails and has at least one ebay seller and buyer ID to cut on paper trail link.

These email harvesting account usually sells your email and ebay account ID and that is why there are emails that come outside of the eBay world.

Have you ever gotten an email that looks like it was from eBay telling you that your account was suspended and you need to type in your eBay account and Credit Card information to resolve the problem? This is one fraudulent eBay emails the are being perpetuated all over. Note that the email sender says it came from ebay@ebay.com with all the nice HTML designs (logos, etc.) that gives it the genuine look of eBay. This type of email has harvested a lot of unsuspecting eBay users.
    Yeah I have gotten a few of theose emails.....pretty official looking too..

If you are theseller..is therea way for ppl toget your e-mail wihtout -requesting info or "ask seller a question" because somehow this person did and it concerns me a little. When Im bidding on an auction I cannot get the sellers e-mail without going through the proper channels. Just curious.
    one guy by the name of treos600 had 10 of them for $415 each I got and sent payment, the guy then contacted me because he had the wrong email setup on paypal, so he made another one, I canceled the first one and sent it to the second email. He was never able to collect the funds from the second one so I cnacelled that one. He then called me to give me a 3rd email address (red flag) however since I was able to cancel the first 2 through paypal, I was willing to give the guy another shot. He said he would ship them all out on Monday this was on a Thursday and said he would refund my money if I wanted to bail now. I said no and Friday morning I had an email from ebay saying the auction has been taken down and I should contact the seller about a refund (thanks ebay). Then later that day paypal sent me an email and sent all the money back.

I went to the sprintpcs store friday after work and paid full price for one $599 and couldn't get any rebate b/c I just bought a new phone 6 months ago when I was out of town and my Timeport got a little wet and died.

Be on the lookout for a guy in Ohio named treos600 he says he works for sprint.
  10.    #10  
    I guess the moral of this is to be vigilant of sellers that act outside of eBay perimeters. Thanks everyone!
    -Mark Twain
    same thing happened to me when I was selling one ...I got alot of e-mails... one wuestion though ..how could they get my e-mail address when they weren't the highest bidder ...andI never got an email from e-bay for an info request ...i just fiound that odd...

I believe the phones that are going for more than retail are the unlocked ons ..thats why they are selling for a premium.. and the ones that they are selling for like $300 are usually bought with stolen CC's usually from ebay members (under the table). They will ask them to end auction early ..pay a premium via paypal, the seller is happy until a week later when he finds out there is about $700 less in his paypal acct.

I thought that the seller waited for payment to be rec'd before sending item, this way the seller doesnt get burnt. Besides, aren't 99.9% of them using paypal; which would make confirmation of funds available almost instantaneous?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    After bidding on a Treo 600 GSM on eBay, I have been bombarded with eMails soliciting me to buy Treo 600s for as little as $300; cash-only transaction. I bet that the sellers on eBay sell the eMails they get to people who want to rip others off. Just beware...
    I went through hell trying to buy a Treo 600 unlocked. Bid on a few but the prices got silly.

then a seller offered to sell me one for $600

Of course I sent the $$ and then he had a "family emergency". When I filed fraud charges via my bank he suddenly refunded the money.

His name was Samuel White and I Still don't have a Treo 600

Now I ordered one via Ecost.com but it's out of stock (of course) and I have to wait indefinitely for it to arrive.

Anyone have any advice on how to purchase one for real (in stock) ?

Thanks,

Josh
    Originally posted by georgekessel
    I went through hell trying to buy a Treo 600 unlocked. Bid on a few but the prices got silly.

then a seller offered to sell me one for $600

Of course I sent the $$ and then he had a "family emergency". When I filed fraud charges via my bank he suddenly refunded the money.

His name was Samuel White and I Still don't have a Treo 600

Now I ordered one via Ecost.com but it's out of stock (of course) and I have to wait indefinitely for it to arrive.

Anyone have any advice on how to purchase one for real (in stock) ?

Thanks,

Josh

check www.busfish.com, i think they have 1 more in physical stock. I just ordered mine, i should be getting it early next week. I found a couple testiomonials from buyers on this forumn that actually purchased and receieved treos from that site (they take paypal w/ buyer protection). Plus, i talked to the owner and he sounds like good people.

*not affliated with busfish*
    Do you know if it's unlocked?

I have to use it here in Canada so it's got to be fully unlocked.
  16.    #16  
    Just ordered from busfish.com today, thanks for the advice It's a T-Mobile T600 GSM, so I assume it is unlocked. As far as I know, only the T600 GSMs for AT&T Wireless are locked.
    -Mark Twain
    I called them and they told me it was locked onto T-Mobile's system so I had to decline :*
  18.    #18  
    Wow. Thanks for the info. I am glad I do have T-Mobile service...
    Try buy.com I believe they sell T600 GSMs unlocked, although you might want to call them to find out if they have any in stock ($597.00 per phone, last time I checked). Here's the link: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...4&loc=101&sp=1
    -Mark Twain
    Thanks!

That is the lowest price I've found so far

but of course nobody has them in stock.

Any clue on someone who actually has them in stock?
  20.    #20  
    Try Compuvest. I saw them mentioned in one of the threads here. Their T600 GSMs run about $620, and I do believe they are unlocked and have them in stock. Call first though. Here's the link: http://grabber.compuvest.com/Descrip...p?ItemID=59164
    -Mark Twain