1.    #1  
    I've had Datebk5 (ver 5.1a) installed on my treo 600 for 4 weeks.
    Just recently everytime I try to add a New Journal Entry (using Menu J). It resets. Also, if I try to run a Find and click OK, it resets itself. What's the matter with this thing? I've already done a hard reset to clear all the data and hotsync'd but had no effect. It keeps reseting everytime on New Journal Entries, Find and when I pick "T" for template (so far)...it's really starting to get annoying.
    Any power users out there have any suggestions?
    Last edited by rifyrafi; 01/26/2004 at 05:42 PM.
    are u using the 51a-si version? im using that with no problems or resets.
    If you've been able to do finds and journal entries for most of the last 4 weeks, and it only recently started bombing, I suspect a conflict with some other app recently installed. The find problem, in particular, points to that.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  4.    #4  
    I figured out what was causing the Datebk5 to reset all the time.
    It seems like Datebk5 has a limit of 20,000 for total # of records.
    It does not say that in the manual. I reduced it under 20k and it stopped reseting. Weird. I guess I can't use this past 5 years worth of entries.
    If you have more than 20,000 records that would be a problem right now. I suggest you just purge 3/4 of those records into the history database. That way they are still only two taps away from access, and you will get far better performance in your main database.

I do intend to raise this limit to 50,000 shortly (probably in the V-5.1b maintenance release) - until recently it was not really feasible to create datebook databases that large, and in most cases, I've found that the reason there are so many entries is that some conduit went beserk and entered thousands of bogus events that need to be deleted. You might want to run dbScan to make sure there are no corrupt events, and also go into the list view and use the SHOW ALL EVENTS option and scan through several pages to see if there are duplicates or bogus entries. If you have a lot of duplicates, there are various utilities (such as UnDupe) which you can use to remove those duplications

Cheers!
    CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc.
    ==========================================
  6.    #6  
    Thank you, Cesdewar for your very informative reply to my post.
    I will definately try to use all your suggestions.
    The old records I have are very important to me since my palm records actually became a journal/diary of sorts. So, you can understand my apprehensions about deleting anything.
    I do have one question though. How exactly do I "purge records into the history database" and how do I access them again with the two taps you suggested.
    Please excuse my ignorance.
    Thank you in advance.
    Nice avitar, CESD. Good to see you here at Treocentral. Your avitar looks like me before I shave.

Great job with your Gorilla Haven project.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    >T he old records I have are very important to me since my palm records actually became a journal/diary of sorts. So, you can understand my apprehensions about deleting anything.

Purging to the history database is quite safe. However, as an always-recommended precaution, hotsync first and make a copy of your desktop data. After you do the purge to the history database, your history database WILL be backed up to the desktop on each hotsync, so you will have a duplicate copy there.

> I do have one question though. How exactly do I "purge records into the history database"

In the Day view, select PURGE from the Record menu (tap on the 'i' at top right for more information on how to use options in this dialog or consult the DateBk5 User Manual).

> and how do I access them again with the two taps you suggested.

By default, Datebk5 creates a saved view called History DB on the initial installation. To access this with two taps, you would need to display the Saved Views icon instead of one of your standard six views at bottom left (select in VIEWS tab of the main DateBk5 Preference panel: Options | Preferences and observe line: DISPLAY USES and uncheck one of the first six buttons and highlight the last, diamond button). OR if you prefer not to display the saved views button, you can TapAndHold on the left-most view button to bring up the VIew Selection Dialog and select CUSTOM/SAVED Views.

Tap on HistoryDB to access the history databases conveniently - it will take you to the list view - just tap on the OPT button and enter the text string to search for. To return to the main database, just exit the saved view (get back to Saved View selection dialog and tap on EXIT VIEW button). All of this is covered in the DateBk5 User Manual:

100+ page Manual: www.PimlicoSoftware.com/datebk5-v51a-manual.zip
    Windows Executable: www.PimlicoSoftware.com/datebk5-v51a-manual.exe

Cheers!
    CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc.
    ==========================================