1.    #1  
    Hey guys, new here and just wanted to see what you think of the following list. No doubt there have been countless iterations, but may as well start up a new one. This list incorporates new technologies coming out in the next year or two, so if you're skeptical, these technologies do exist already--at least in prototype. And there are products out or coming out soon that do come close to the following specs (Samsung M400, BSQUARE Power Handheld, HP 63xx).

In looking through the list, please add any new ideas or things I may be missing.

Dream Treo

Form Factor:
    Dimensions: < 4 x < 3 x < 0.5
    Weight: <5oz
    Input: thumb board and virtual (laser) keyboard, stylus for occasional use
    Indicators: Multiple multi-color LEDs for different notifications
    Antenna: Internal

Screen:
    Type: OLED
    Resolution: VGA (640 x 480), or even SVGA (800 x 600)
    Color: 65K at least
    Digitizer: Inductive

Processor:
    Whatever's available at the time to be near instantaneous for most functions

Latest Palm OS

Communications:
    WiFi 802.11b/g
    Bluetooth 1.1
    IrDa
    GPS

Expansion:
    SDIO slot

Memory:
    2-3 G hard drive (Toshiba)

Telephony:
    Quad-band GSM/GPRS (class 10)
    EDGE network or whatever's fastest
    Speakerphone
    VoIP

Camera:
    Still: 3MP, full function digital camera, flash
    Video: 640 x 480 MPEG-4, 30fps, length limited only by storage space

Audio:
    MP3 player
    Microphone, built-in speaker
    Voice recording
    Voice recognition (for commands, speech-to-text when processor speed allows)

Video:
    TV Tuner, but not so important

Power:
    Battery: fuel cell/silver polymer, removable/exchangeable
    Phone talk time: 12hrs
    PDA use: 8hrs
    Standby: 8 days
    Charging: USB 2.0 or Firewire 800

Anything else?
    Push-to-talk (walkie talkie)
    Much stronger IR port for remote control functions.
    Use Cam as video conference cam as bandwidth increases.

A USB slot so companies can release one device that works on your PC and Palm drivers as well. (a usb keyboard/mouse would rock, a game controller, speakers, external storage to pen drives or larger drives, direct to printer, gps, wired ethernet, eliminates cradle, plus the ability to use multiple devices with a USB hub, hey this is a dream treo!) I know this isn't gonna happen but it sounds good.

I strongly agree on the Voice recognition piece! (dialing numbers <kyocera does this>, open apps, word docs, memos, urls). It makes using these devices on the run so much easier.
    My dream Treo would be a device that has a reliable web browser that would allow me to view web pages ALL THE TIME, not just when the Sprint network isn't busy, and to have actual knowledgable technical support that didn't require a 30 minute hold time. Boy, wouldn't that be GREAT?
    ----------------------------------------
    mk3cn4 uses a Treo 600 with ReqWireless Web Browser (others are useless IMO), Snappermail, Xiino, PalmVNC... and is a big infone fan. Cheaper and magnatudes better than Sprint's 411 ripoff, www.infone.com.
    This is entertaining, and I am not trying to be sarcastic for the least. This question has been floating around here since Treo 180 time and, no doubt, will continue way pass Treo 64539...
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Since the Treo 180? Threads like this go much farther back than that when this was visorcentral.com! :-)

It's always good to hear people's visions of future direction with any product. You know somebody is lurking from PalmOne in these threads just seeing what people have to say.

Anyway, I find it really interesting that after my post I made yesterday about a USB post that NEC Electronics Corporation has an announcement on the very same concept. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

Hmmm, I can see my royalties now...... Only kidding but it does shine some hope for something like this in the Treo 64539 model which will be released in March on the T-Mobile service but nobody will actually get one for about ten years. ROTFL