1.    #1  
    I love my treo....hands down it is the best thing out there. but that doesn't mean it can't be better!

the treo has this great 5 way navigation button and when applications are optimized for it...it is a wonderful thing. when i write my email in snappermail, i don't even need to normally take out my stylus.

that is unless i cut/paste/copy an item. the problem is highlighting text. there is no way to highlight text in any treo-compatible program (that i know of), no matter how wonderful they may be in other regards, without having to break out that old stylus! i do a lot of work in docs-to-go and work with word documents. it is real pain to have to take out the stylus any time i want to edit something.

wouldn't it be wonderful if there were an application that we could add to the treo that would give it this ability...to select text without using the stylus?

well a few of us here on this board are trying to do just that. if you are interested in finding out more or helping us....go here:

http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...8922post308922
    Last edited by southbound747; 01/16/2004 at 06:51 PM.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    You're not the only one by a long shot. There are a bunch of threads on this issue.

Here's the pledge one at TC:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...selectext.html

And another interesting one here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ext+shift.html
    Originally posted by southbound747
    a few of us
    Heyyyyy, this was a trick question!

...I feel cheated.
  4.    #4  
    snerdy...the point is...do you also hate having to use the stylus too? we have a great phone (treo 600) ...that could easily be so much better. this is not a hardware upgrade we are talking about here. it is a minor software app that can easily be written to greatly improve the functionality of the treo. are you interested in helping?
    Last edited by southbound747; 01/17/2004 at 07:26 PM.
    Originally posted by southbound747

that is unless i cut/paste/copy an item. the problem is highlighting text. there is no way to highlight text in any treo-compatible program (that i know of), no matter how wonderful they may be in other regards, without having to break out that old stylus! i do a lot of work in docs-to-go and work with word documents. it is real pain to have to take out the stylus any time i want to edit something.
    Actually, Menu-S will select text in most applications. It frequently selects more text than I want, but I can delete that after I paste. But yes, I still like to see the app, and I am one of the people who has "pledged" to the fund.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Try to tap the screen with your pinky nail (and yes, mine are very short). I use the back side of the nail, as if you were trying to use your pinky to touch itself (no wise cracks please.. ).Once you get a letter, two you get the word and three times you get the line( you have to tap quickly). Then use the menue short cuts (like Menu-C, Menu-X and such)This seems to work in most apps for me
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    Try to tap the screen with your pinky nail (and yes, mine are very short). I use the back side of the nail, as if you were trying to use your pinky to touch itself (no wise cracks please.. ).Once you get a letter, two you get the word and three times you get the line( you have to tap quickly). Then use the menue short cuts (like Menu-C, Menu-X and such)This seems to work in most apps for me
    Physically nearly impossible for me and my fat fingers. The real point for me is that for some, using the stylus is not a problem, but for others, removing the stylus is truly a rare act on a Treo 600; and for such a sophisticated device with a 5-Way Rocker that is so innovative, it is unforgivable that Handspring didn't give us a text-select tool. Other Palm devices have it, and since the Treo has been reviewed as "cutting edge," which I suppose it is, then it is clearly a conspicuous omission.

I say "pledge" a few $ toward the TreoSelecText utitlity and get the fund up to $300 before the weekend is over! We're currently at $285.
    Hi, I agree it should have been fatter and should have come with aball point pen styli combo! But, I assume that we will have to waint unti the next treo version for a fatter styli or until all software uses the 5 way and we do not need the styli at all! Take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    So ya want the "Husky" stylis and the "Big Chief" PDA...LOL
    Remember those days.......
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    Hi, I agree it should have been fatter and should have come with aball point pen styli combo! But, I assume that we will have to waint unti the next treo version for a fatter styli or until all software uses the 5 way and we do not need the styli at all! Take care, jay
    I was referring to fingers being fat.

Why not make a small pledge for this app? http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...selectext.html
  11.    #11  
    what is wrong with wanting the treo to be as good as it can be? we can't change the hardware....at least not yet. i just started my contract with sprint and a new version of the treo may not even be ready in 2004. yet, it can be made better...through software upgrades. what is wrong with that? not giving the treo the ability to select text with the 5-way was a big oversight on the part of handspring. and we have have the power, here and now to fix it. #s speak. if more people get involved and commit then this is a no-brainer.

i don't have a fat finger...ok? but i don't want to clean the screen all the time and i don't want to use the stylus. what is the point of having a 5-way nav control if you can't use it for really basic functions?
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    why wait a year! if you and 10 more people pledge some $ (10?)we can deal with this now.
    SB, I was tiying to sugest a work around untill his program is out. I fully understand that some people don't like Graffiti, that's fine. I fully understand that some people don't like using the stylis either, that fine. Yes, the Treo600 may have perhaps come with a text editor like you/they want, but there are also 20 other things that it shouold have come with and everyone thinks that their one thing is more important then others and should be on the top of the list. They also beleive that 100%.

I am shocked (more of amazed) that a PDA/phone is missing graffiti in the OE form. Graffiti started all this, remember the Apple Newton? I understand the trend twoard the keyboard, but leave the old and loved graffiti out is odd to me. It's just code. But I also know that HS probably did research and it was not worth the time to do all that.

They have to stop somewhere, or else a product would never make it to market, or it would cost an arm and a leg. I assuem that you make a nice comprimise and people can use third party apps to customize their Treo to how they want it. Inturn saving all of us money (yes your missing that one feature that you want, but you are also not paying for 20 others (R&D time and such). Plus this give third parties a job and they can focus on it and mostlikey make a better app.

Look at the Blue Tooth verse Wi-Fi, some say w/o BT the T600 is junk. SOme say w/o Wi-Fi it's useless. So do they add BT? Do they add Wi-Fi? Do they add both? SOme may say, add both, it can't cost that much, perhaps there is a chip that can do both? Perhaps there is, but it might cost a tad more, then you add a tad more and so on and then your 99% but your missing feature 985 and someone maynot like it, So you missed your market date, brand X releases theirs that is not as good, but out, and people buy it (sick of waiting for yours to hit). Your comes out 3-6 months later and people already have one. They really think your is great and want it, but just spent $600 on a smart phone and you have to wait and perhaps miss everything and scrap it, even worse fold.

Just trying to show a different angle, not trying to flame or arguee, just show a different side.

What I was talking about is a work around untill his program is out. This way one does not need to pull the stulis out. Perhaps they didn't know you could tripple tap the line? I use the nail, not my greasy figner. My nail is clean not sharp. I use the back side, not the tip, there is no fleash contact w/ the screen.There are no smuges or scraths either. The bigger issue would be having to clean the screen from ones cheek touching the screen?

Just triying to think outside the box, not change anyones mind, just give an option while waiting.

I want the Treo to be as good as it can be and it looks like Palm/HS is still working on that (soon to have more Java support, PTT, and maby voice recording too), so are the thrid party people. It has to release sometime.

I see what you are driving at and agree to a point, but am also trying yo show my view and perhaps others, as well as devleopes and even perhaps HS and the like.

I am a profectionist (that can't spell), and it use to hack me off that stuff was not 100% (or have all the bells and whistles)when it hit the market. But after being it the retail/consumer product arena, I know understand all of this a little better.

I'll get off my soap bpx now, sorru for the rant and sloppy tying
    Thanks, Matt

I want to try this app by the way and may even buy it. Reguardless, I ahve pleadge $5 tword it for "the team"
    what is the point of having a 5-way nav control if you can't use it for really basic functions?

IMHO, they 5way nav control can be used for really basic functions, one can more the page up and move the page down. It don't get more basic then that.

Wanting text editing with the 5way is a more complex function in my eyes. A perc if you will. AS I said, it's all releitive and it's all in the eye oif the beholder. To you It should have come with 5-way text editing, to me it should have come with a expence report app.

It's all good

Take it easy and enjoy your weekend, Matt
  15.    #15  
    maybe i am a perfectionist? ok. but what we are talking about here is an easy issue to deal with. BT etc would require a chip that isn't there (ie, a hardware matter). this is simply a matter of trying to unite a percentage of the hundreds of people in this forum around a common goal that will benefit everyone. we need a few more people to be involved...both to commit to some $ and to also email developers to see what will pan out. i just prefer to live my life positively. instead of moaning....here we can do something. and once this is achieved then maybe we, as a group, can move on to another common goal ( there is power in #s. and no good deed goes unrewarded.....). it is so easy to criticize. here we can do something positive.

graffiti....yeah....i had my first palm in 1996. it was good... jot is available now as a download for those who want it. it offers a close alternative. there are others. for what we are talking about (the ability to select text sans stylus)...there is no other alternative yet.

i remember john lennon and yoko ono commenting on all the "negativity." everybody was anti this or anti that. they said, imagine what we could could do if we could get that many people to be "pro-this." i prefer to to be pro rather than anti. this group has an amazing potential if it can be properly harnessed. hundreds of members.... imagine what we could do if we acted more as a group. what developer would ignore 300 or 500 emails?

just my (positive) 2 cents

enjoy the weekend.

cheers
    Last edited by southbound747; 01/17/2004 at 10:41 PM.
  16.    #16  

IMHO, they 5way nav control can be used for really basic functions, one can more the page up and move the page down. It don't get more basic then that.

Wanting text editing with the 5way is a more complex function in my eyes. A perc if you will. AS I said, it's all releitive and it's all in the eye oif the beholder. To you It should have come with 5-way text editing, to me it should have come with a expence report app.

It's all good

Take it easy and enjoy your weekend, Matt
    yeah....for me 5-way text editing is basic. no question. by the way, what is a "experience report app." if it is really important to you...maybe we can work on getting one written later.....what does it do?
    SB,
    I think you missed my point a little, but that's fine, I tend to ramble .

You made me look at expence, I thought I DID spell it as Experiance Report (would be par for the course). If I did have an Expericnace Report App, it would not read very high...LOL

Just like you said, one can down load Jot, for those that want it. Well I do want it, just like you want the Text Navigation. That is what I am saying, I want the Graffiti to have come OE.
    You want the Text Edit to come OE and are shocked it didn't (it so basic). I am shocked that Graffiti did come with it, THE FILES ARE ON THE DARN HANDHELD even. But I understand that they probably have 1000 people like me 1000 people like you and a million others wanting a million other apps as bad was we want ours, maby worse. They have to stop somewhere.

So are you and elysian9 working together to get anought money to intice a programer, or do you have one already for the TreoSelectText?

Have a good one, Matt "the misspelling, profectionist" Burkhard

BTW, "this is simply a matter of trying to unite a percentage of the hundreds of people in this forum around a common goal that will benefit everyone" ..that is a good definition of this forum (more or less).