Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a new Treo 600 user. This thing is so cool. I'm loading it up and testing apps like SnapperMail, KeySuite, etc. for productivity. But my guess is I haven't even thought of a fraction of the uses of the Treo. Heck, apparently this thing can be used as a garage door opener! So my open question to the Treo gurus here is:

What's the coolest, most innovative way you've used your Treo? What's your best idea? What use of the Treo has most impacted your life, that people might not realize right away that it can do?
    I think just having everything converged into one device is really great..

I love listening to MP3's while all my mailboxes are auto checked and notify me of when something is in... snapping cool pics is often cool too..see attached...

And having all my forgot me not information all together is awesome..

Radical things I do are : Palm VNC into my machine at home and at work...it's really fast over sprint and actually can use it!

Using Mergic VPN to get into work and access servers inside our firewalls via TopGun SSH ...really cool!

And the neat thing about all of this..doing it wherever I want when I want...
    Attached Images Attached Images
  3.    #3  
    Your idea about remotely controlling your desktop from your Treo simply rocks! I'm going to try it with my Treo 600 and laptop. That solves entirely the problem of suddenly needing access e.g. to certain files, when you're travelling -- I guess you could just boot up your email client and email yourself the files, if you had SnapperMail or a decent email reader.

That post was very helpful. I hope more people post their great Treo uses like that.
    Hmmmm...

Aside from the fact that I can manage all of my email accounts, browse the web, send/receive text messages, converse on the phone, create/edit documents, take/send/receive photos, listen to MP3's, create/view animations, play games, watch video clips, etc., etc., etc...

The single most innovative use I've had for my Treo 600 so far was using it as a flashlight the other night at a bar in order to find my girlfriend's glasses. Everyone was looking down at the floor in confusion when I walked up from out of nowhere, activated my trusty Treo, shed some light on the situation and whamo!!.. found her glasses. My girl was happy, everyone else was in awe, and I felt even better about my investment.

...And yes, I'm quite convinced that if your Treo can make that special someone in your life happier, just once, you've definitely made a solid investment!
    Of course I use it for the regular stuff, like e-mail, VPN, pictures, MP3 and all that, but the best thing is this: when I have a party at my in-laws, I can set an alarm, that sounds just like my phone. I pretend there is someone at the other side talking to me, and get the h*ll out of there, pretending I have a crisis to manage at the office!

Brilliant!
    Originally posted by stynos
    Of course I use it for the regular stuff, like e-mail, VPN, pictures, MP3 and all that, but the best thing is this: when I have a party at my in-laws, I can set an alarm, that sounds just like my phone. I pretend there is someone at the other side talking to me, and get the h*ll out of there, pretending I have a crisis to manage at the office!

Brilliant!
    the treo 600 saving marriages everywhere.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  7.    #7  
    Dude, I am so going to use that phone trick!

Love the flashlight idea, it's really true, the thing is very bright at night, or indoors, can light your way.

More ideas! These are great. Bring them on! We're all going to be such tech studs.
    Hello all, new to the Treo and new to PalmOS as well. Very satisfied; I love it. I looked at quite a few others and did a lot of research before purchasing the 600 and I couldn't be happier. As for the ability of the features or lack thereof...I chalk that up to technology in general. There is always going to be something better or more advanced on other products. But in the grand scheme...nothing can hold a candle to the 600. Alright, now that I'm done with my piece... I haven't really used my Treo for anything amazing, i.e. garage door opener, remote control, etc. But just using some of the palm apps. I am stunned. Again, it may be solely due to the fact that I am new and have never experienced the capability of a PalmOS device; but I have everything at my disposal. I can look up a drink recipe from my virtual bartender containing over 2500 drinks (btw Brookstone and Sharper Image carry a virtual bartender device that holds only 750 drinks for approx. $75). In the same breath I can look up every transport station from here to Timbuktu with a handy app. called Metro; gives color of the line and very detailed directions, etc. I also save a countless amount of money not using Sprint's gouging-cost directory assistance through another application; ironically called "Directory Assistance" Can look up business and residential name/addresses and also map out directions using MapQuest. I could go on forever; but I'll wrap up in saying this looks like a very informative forum and I will enjoy sharing with you guys. Have a good day.
    Welcome aboard QuicksilveR!! We look forward to sharing further this amazing community with you.
    About a week ago, while sitting in a library, I sketched out a few logo designs on a piece of paper, photographed them into the Treo 600, adusted the tone and contrast of the images with Rescoview and then emailed the images to my client.

Made $200 bucks (in billable hours).

All I need now is a photoshop-lite style application. Sort of like Rescoview mixed with Handpainter Pro. Then I could clean up the lines and fill the logo shapes with color...

---

During my downtime (while I waited for client feedback) I played Bejeweled, listened to some MP3's and surfed the Web.

D@mn... The Treo 600 is sweet.
    "I see dead pixels..."
    Can't wait for my new T600
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Where did you get the virtual bartender. I did a search on this forum and didn't find it.

thanx
    Where did you get the virtual bartender. I did a search on this forum and didn't find it.
    I downloaded it from my SprintPCS account website. It is called PocketBartender ($7.95 for those that have Sprint); but there are others out there; if you just go to Palmgear and type "bartender" in the search box on the left-hand side there are numerous programs that come up. I think I read somewhere that there is a free one out there; but I just used my Sprint credit included with the vision pkg. because I didn't like any of the ringtones they offered.

-QuicK
    Originally posted by gamedeveloper
    About a week ago, while sitting in a library, I sketched out a few logo designs on a piece of paper, photographed them into the Treo 600, adusted the tone and contrast of the images with Rescoview and then emailed the images to my client.

Made $200 bucks (in billable hours).
    Making $200 billable hours, now that's cool. I've had a palm device of one kind or another for 4 years now, got a 300 a year ago, and got the 600 as soon as Sprint had them available. I've used mine as a flashlight a couple of times too, but by far the most "different" use I've had is a "sort of flashlight" use, when I'm at the movie, and my wife sends me in to find seats while she buys our refreshments, I watch for her, then light up my Treo 600 when she walks in looking for me. Works every time.
  15.    #15  
    This may be a most obvious use, but for me, Treo 600 is my first "smartphone" that syncs to my Outlook. And it has radically improved my productivity while away from my desk -- I find I get a lot more done on the phone than I did before simply because I have all of my contacts' phone numbers (not just a few contacts, and not just one number per contact but home, cell, work, etc.) in my cell phone. I noticed the effect immediately -- I would think of someone to call about something and just get the call done right there instead of waiting until back at the office or home where I had their contact info on my Outlook. It gives me a big incentive to keep my Outlook up to date with the latest numbers of contacts.

Also, when I call someone and don't get them, I can just click and call one of their other numbers -- I was never able to do that before because I'd only enter in e.g. a cell # for a person, into my cell phone, yet that person may have their cell phone off on occasion but be available at home or work.

Another thing that really blows me away is conference calling -- it's so easy to do a three way conference call on the Treo with any two people I know -- it just takes seconds to set up a call even away from the office. Whereas before, if I needed to do a conference call, likely I might not have the number of the additional party, to conference them in, if I were away from the office. And the dial by initials is so fast that it takes just a couple seconds. I do spontaneous conference calls while standing in line somewhere!
    Nothing like being in the middle of a conference call with a room full of people and have the "bat" phone go dead. Why panic when you have your Treo 600? I know there have been many discussions about poor quality of the speakerphone, however, no one complained during our meeting when they were able to use it for about 1 hour. Stepped up to the plate like Reggie Jackson during the '77 world series.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Thanx QuicksilveR!
    I am a ORACLE DBA that support one of the biggest retailer in CANADA.... I use my TREO 600 to connect to our server and do my job when I'm on the road.....I use mergic VPN, PalmVNC (to connect to my desktop), ssh and more.....

I was on lunch break with the boss one day and I got page. I connected to our server and fix the problem without going back to the office.... Way to impress the boss......

WOOHOO!!!!!
    TREO 600 ROCKS !!!! I gave up my Zaurus sl-5500 and my Motorola v60i for it.

"Willing is not enough; we must do. Knowing is not enough; we must apply." -- Bruce Lee
    All this talk about using terminal emulators to get something done at work on the road. Isn't it a pain in the arse though? I've tried, and I find the login screen is bigger than the treo screen even. Moreover, changing resolution to show more real estate just makes everything unreadable. It's cool to show my techy buddies, but in reality using terminal emulators on my treo just gives me a headache.

What am I missing here?
  20.    #20  
    What are the best creative uses of software apps people have used on their Treo? I'm trying SnapperMail and the Chapura Outlook emulator app so far...
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast