Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I shop for cars with my Treo600. I use the Auterra OnBoard Diagnostics reader to analyze trouble codes, and talk with the car's computer. Then I switch over to the market report database to pull up national used car prices, and have my treo automatically adjust for mileage considerations. I use it to calculate lease and car payments. It seriously kicks ****.
    jello
    This last week I was driving with the family to Florida. I desperately needed to get online with my laptop but I have never reinstalled the modem. The Treo rescued me big time. I downloaded Card Export II to the SD card and installed.. It works great but its real slow. Anyhow, I used Card Export to upload the pdaNet exe that I also downloaded to SD.

Once pdanet was installed I was online. Fantastic.

Derek
    Derek

Treo 180 --> 270 --> 600 --> 650 --> 680 -- Pro ( )
    Used Card Export II to set the T600 up as a USB Hard Drive. I have PDANet installed. I put the PDANet installation software executable on my SD Card.

So now, anytime, anywhere, if someone has a laptop and needs instant wireless connectivity, I plug in my Treo through my USB synch/charger, fire up Card Export, install PDANet, and kablam!

This came in very handy at a conference I was just at where the network when down - a whole bunch of network-less co-workers were suddenly my best friends...
    The coolest thing I've done is use Planisphere to look at the night sky. It even has a "night vision" mode showing the screen in red. Way cool if you have even the remotest interest in Astronomy.
    Ok, I know I am stupid and I should "do a search" but can anyone tell me what is "VPN & VNC"?
    Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord your God with all of your heart. Seek his will in all you do and He will direct your paths.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTony
    Ok, I know I am stupid and I should "do a search" but can anyone tell me what is "VPN & VNC"?
    Since you're so willing to help yourself, here's the literal answer. They are acronyms.

HTH,
    -Joe
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I wish I was as smart as you. Here I am trying to pronounce "VPN & VNC" like they are words. I knew they was missing a vowel thing-a-ma-bobby but I was certain they was actual words.

TYVFM
    Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord your God with all of your heart. Seek his will in all you do and He will direct your paths.
    vpn=virtual private network. basically creates an encryted connection between two networks. now a days, a company wont let you dial into its network unless u create a vpn first.

vnc= i have no clue (virtual network connection?), but it is like pcanywhere or gotomypc, but usually a free program. lets you control one pc from another.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I wish I was as smart as you. Here I am trying to pronounce "VPN & VNC" like they are words. I knew they was missing a vowel thing-a-ma-bobby but I was certain they was actual words.

TYVFM
    Nice language, slim.

Being smart has nothing to do with it. Being lazy does. Felipe was kind enough to spoon feed you a mostly correct answer. Clearly that is much better than typing six little letters in google.

How does the saying go? Teach a man to fish...

Oh, and you're very welcome.

-Joe
    - Albert Einstein
    I asked a legit question and I got a smart assed reply. It never fails, check all of my posts. When I ask a normal question I get smart *** replies. Did you search? Did you try? WHy ask that here? Don't you know? Why are you so stupid? Come up with a monster link or a coupon and they love you. Ask how to send a fax without buying software and everyone has a heart attack because it was talked about 8 months ago in a ancient thread.

Teach a man to fish..... and he'll still ask you to borrow your reel.

Did YOU ever ask a question on this forum?
    I asked a legit question and I got a smart assed reply. It never fails, check all of my posts. When I ask a normal question I get smart *** replies. Did you search? Did you try? WHy ask that here? Don't you know? Why are you so stupid? Come up with a monster link or a coupon and they love you. Ask how to send a fax without buying software and everyone has a heart attack because it was talked about 8 months ago in a ancient thread.

Teach a man to fish..... and he'll still ask you to borrow your reel.

Did YOU ever ask a question on this forum?
    You miss the point. Asking a question is fine. Telling everyone you're too lazy to search for an answer to that question, but expecting them to give it to you anyway, is ridiculous. If you're too lazy to help yourself, even a little, why should anyone else hand you an answer? Think about it.
    - Albert Einstein
    Because everytime I ask a question, I get 5 replies saying "Did you search" or "Try Google" or some other stuff. So, to try and cut thru it, I said "I'm lazy".

Thank you, Felipe. I appreciated the straight up answer.
    VNC is Virtual Network Computing, though I think the acronym is not as deadly as VPN (from which you can deduce what it actually does). Reference Felipe's response; and so the Palm version lets you control the PC from your PDA. You can download the PC to PC version here if you want to try it out: http://www.realvnc.com/
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    back to the topoc - i'm laying in bed right now..sick with the flu. while laying here witha trusty cup of theraflu and my good old treo i've managed to run my business. i have answered email questions regarding my ebay auctions...completed auctions....sent invoices...confirmed reciept of payment and forwarded the paid customers information to my supplier...then left feedback. i've re-ordered merchandise via email and phone....and to think...i thought a little flu was going to make me unproductive.... - thanks palmone, thx snapper, thx theraflu and thank u reqwireless for keeping a workaholic...well...working (cough)
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ziphem
    Isn't this a great app? One of the best I have. I shouldn't say this, but I configured a sendmail script on my website, with .htaccess password authentication to access that sendmail page. On this page you have an "Emergency lock" button, and once you press it, it sends the msafe lock email to my phone and to my independent email account (to confirm it went through). So, it's just the click of a button...
    I was wondering if you'd be interested in sharing the syntax, kind of a gpl? I have a perfect spot for this on my site...kind of a hidden link. Anyway, I would find it useful, if you wouldn't mind!

Thx,
    Bill
    Not an an application unique to the Treo, but parents can probably relate: My 3 1/2 yr old had issues managing trips to the toilet, so I used the datebook to create an "event" that set alarms off every hour.

For some reaon having the Treo ask if it is time to "go" resulted in a more accurate response than when the Parents ask. We just completed our first diaper-free weekend in 3 1/2 years.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen
    We just completed our first diaper-free weekend in 3 1/2 years.
    Nice! We have a 3 year old, going through the same thing
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen
    For some reaon having the Treo ask if it is time to "go" resulted in a more accurate response than when the Parents ask. We just completed our first diaper-free weekend in 3 1/2 years.
    We have a (tomorrow) 3 year old and we have the problem of not remembering to ask him if he needs to go use the potty. What a great idea!!!
    Jellolee .. I shopped for a car as well.

I use Avantgo, set up a custom personal page, and copy and paste the address of the loacal newspapers auot classified and would get all local ads for suvs instantly the night before they came out in the paper as the ads were put to bed early...

Copy and pasting your favorite web pages is one of the best features of Avantgo and best of all it's free
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast