Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik
    Re: searcherguy

I meant I can look up business and get directions to their location in one click (i don't have this information saved in my contacts list, as I rarely have more than one appointment in a single place) I have http://yp.mapquest.com/ bookmarked and its a life saver for me, help me find a hotel in the middle of nowhere last week in minutes

You might want to give http://www.mapquest.com/pda/directions.adp a look. It loads a lot quicker than the full page
    Last week I used the Treo for live up-to-the-minute reporting on the final table of the World Series of Poker. A group of about 20 people had invested in one of the players, but they weren't able to be there to watch the finals. I sent them a constant stream of email updates from the tournament room, and they kept up-to-date on what was happening.

I use the Treo to get cache information while geocaching.

I keep a web-based shopping list, and hit it with the Treo whenever I'm out shopping.

A few months ago I got a bogus parking ticket for blocking a crosswalk. I pulled out the Treo and took pictures of the car to document the fact that it was parked legally.

I ssh into shell accounts all the time for various reasons. The strangest thing I've ever done with it was to reconfigure a router from a restaurant, though I think that might have been with my old 300.

I once played online poker by using PalmVNC to connect to my desktop machine.
    After a brainstorming meeting I used the camera to take a picture of the whiteboard with charts, beamed it into the laptop and within minutes used the image in the powerpoint summary presentation. Resolution and image quality were adequate - everything was readable.

Also use it sometimes in my car as digital radio, using iRock to transmit streaming audio through FM to the car's radio. If the phone call comes in, it works as a hands-free speakerphone with decent sound quality through car's speakers.
    Last edited by tmakogon; 06/03/2004 at 05:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I haven't seen anyone with a Treo, or a PDA for that matter, that can even begin to remotely compete with the 3rd party customizations I've put on mine ... prove me wrong...

p.s. tell the TRUTH.
    ----------------------------------
    DEVICE: T600 CDMA-Sprint
    SD CARD: 512MB SanDisk

EMAIL: Snappermail
    CHAT: Verichat

GAMES: Nesem (nintendo emulator from www.kalemsoft.com), Backgamon, Bejeweled, Blocks (generic Tetris), Chess Tiger, Froggy, Galax, Love Dice (for my girl), Rockblaster, Zap!2016

EDUCATIONAL: 4.0Student (if you're in school, you NEED to get this), Documents to Go 6 (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint)

PRACTICAL: BigClock (alarm clock, timer, ect), Checkbook (www.thequickster.com), DailyBible (daily Bible verses), OmniRemote (infrared remote control for controlling TV, DVD player, VCR, ect; www.pacificneotek.com), Strip (for storing internet passwords), HandZipper Lite

MULTIMEDIA: MMPlayer (still haven't used it... someone HELP!), MovieRec, SoundRec, JpegWatcher Lite, Pocket Tunes Deluxe

I use a Seidio plastic holster for transportation and still need to finalize what headphones I'm going to purchase.

My Treo isn't a PDA, its a damn Tricorder....(lil Star Trek trivia...nevermind... )

Let's see who can top that! Bring on the competition!
    ~Steve
    Get @ me
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    hmmm... I guess I didn't answer the question...sorry!

I use my Treo for EVERYTHING. I have it optimized to be an extension of my computer when I'm on the go. I balance my checkbook, balance my GPA (4.0Student), and organize my life. I've used a palm since I've been in college and the Treo has definitely made life WAY easier.
    ~Steve
    Get @ me
    I'm sure we've all done cool things w/ our Treo 600 such as the above mentioned flashlight & play mp3's...but I just wanted to mention a few Palm Apps that are really cool to have on your device.

1- BugMe! - great app to scribble a note or setup a reminder for yourself w/
    alarm

2- NYC Subway Map - living in NY (city of the lost towers a.k.a. the Big
    Apple) the most efficient way to commute around the
    city is thru the underground subway. This tool has
    every subway line meticulously mapped out (in color)
    for you & best of all it's current! If you live, work or
    travel to NYC & interested in a copy of this app just
    post your email & I will send.

3- mSafe - allows you to lock your Treo 600 remotely in the event you loose
    it...amazing! Simply send SMS message to your Treo from any
    PC & instantly it locks your device protecting your most valuable
    or confidential data!
    I was able to record parts of my daughter's commencement with SoundRec today. Not the best quality, but it was cool. (translation: Move your tassles from the left side to the right side. And now, graduates of Mentor High, class is dismissed! [screaming])
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34
    Had an accident....

Young guy's car hit me in the back and forced me into the a lady driving in front of me. After a "self-check" that I was not hurt, I got out and started taking pictures using my Treo 600. While I was taking pics of the guy's car that hit me, he got in his car and took off but I did get a pic of his plates. I called state police ( was going to do that anyway). Then called my insurance agent....and sent all pictures right from my Treo to his office. WAY COOL....

The State Police got the guy at his house. And his insurance company had to pay for all three cars....mine...the lady I hit...and his......

My Treo paid for itself with this event alone!!!!

IGO
    Reading this thread reminded me that my Treo 600 arrived the afternoon of October 18, and that evening the driver of an opposing vehicle fell asleep, crossed over, and my car was totalled... so the first pictures I got with the camera were of my dead car. He wasn't going anywhere, so all I got was pictures, nothing as a result...
    Quote Originally Posted by dlstang

3- mSafe - allows you to lock your Treo 600 remotely in the event you loose
    it...amazing! Simply send SMS message to your Treo from any
    PC & instantly it locks your device protecting your most valuable
    or confidential data!
    Isn't this a great app? One of the best I have. I shouldn't say this, but I configured a sendmail script on my website, with .htaccess password authentication to access that sendmail page. On this page you have an "Emergency lock" button, and once you press it, it sends the msafe lock email to my phone and to my independent email account (to confirm it went through). So, it's just the click of a button...
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    Larry
    I beamed a note to a pretty girl on the subway "r u wearing underwear?"
    Larry
    So, lmaglione..... what was her answer? Or did she just smack you with her Palm? hehe
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    My coolest use is to have the greatest ringtone out there!! I used SoundRec to record my 4 yr old saying "Dad, the phone is ringing", took it off the SD card as a WAV file and used Audacity to increase volume and convert it to an MP3, put it back on the SD card, then used Phone Technician to set it up via PTunes to be my ringer when I get an incoming call. It is set up to repeat every 2 seconds.

It is great!
    She laughed so hard it was a great icebreaker.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    So, lmaglione..... what was her answer? Or did she just smack you with her Palm? hehe
    Larry
    I downloaded free Avantgo... WWW.avantgo.com
    Set up my favorite pages.. I customize personalize the pages with:

The NewYork Times,

my local newspapers including local school sports pages,

ACCUWEATHER and instant live Radar (fantastic when you are outdoors and wondering if a storm is headed your way)

My Yahoo! page that gets me my mail (free but not forced email), tells me whats on TV tonight, whats at my local movies with time tables. Also have on Avantgo

Mapquest mobile (to get live maps and directions) as one of the pages (with AVantgo maps and directions are useable/readable)

Live Google search page....

and of course dont forget treo central!

The Avantgo Browser is better than Blazer and you cant beat the price! Free!
    Just take all your PC favorites sites and use the custom site feature on Avantgo
    You can use this either live if you have wireless web access, or hotsync while pc is signed on to the web...

You will always have something to read, even in the bathrooom! Very very useful... and great when you have time to kill waiting for appointments, haircuts, waiting to pick up kids.. wife shopping etc
    Also downloaded NoahLite Dictionary, (Also freeware) always have a dictionary

Downloaded Planetarium software, (freeware) and always can look at sky and know what planet I am looking at .
    My 270 never ceases to amaze me.... Captain Kirk couldnt do half this stuff on his flip phone
    Using SoundRec or equivalent... Have one of the kids sing a song; record it; play it back; all of the kids are fascinated and want to sing & hear one song after another. Makes long car rides go fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrySpammingMe
    wife shopping
    hmmmmm....
    LOL.... ummm
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    LOL Third type... I can help out if he can't find one and has to make do with girlfriend shopping

I think the coolest way I use the Treo is using Sound Rec and Lightwav together. I have a picture of all my chick friends with a custom recording of them saying something smutty like ' Please please come back to mine tonight' etc as their personal ring tones. Being in the office on a Friday when they all ring to arrange whats happening at the weekend really gets the office in stitches. Having 3 ring tones go off in 10 mins saying 'Oh don't please I can't take anymore' and 'But it's too big' etc etc in diff voices... as the famous saying goes...

Recording from all lady mates : Free
    Treo : 99
    Everyone believing I am one well hung stud with an army of lovers : Priceless...

Oh, BTW I am single if you hadn't guessed ROFL!!! ;-)

P.s. you guys rock!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast