Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally posted by rwilson290
    All this talk about using terminal emulators to get something done at work on the road. Isn't it a pain in the arse though? I've tried, and I find the login screen is bigger than the treo screen even. Moreover, changing resolution to show more real estate just makes everything unreadable. It's cool to show my techy buddies, but in reality using terminal emulators on my treo just gives me a headache.

What am I missing here?
    I'm not sure what your problem is, but People in this forum are having fun on what they could do with there TREO's.... If you think it's sucks... don't use it....

If you rather go back to the office and do your work and spoil your lunch, so be it.... for me it work's just fine.... If you want a full page screen and easy to read, use a laptop....

ciao
    TREO 600 ROCKS !!!! I gave up my Zaurus sl-5500 and my Motorola v60i for it.

"Willing is not enough; we must do. Knowing is not enough; we must apply." -- Bruce Lee
    I LOOVE MY TREOOO

I am an entrepreneur and i sell cars and liquidated merchandise on ebay. I hardly ever in the office now becuase with my t-baby (yes, i gave her a nickname) 1) i can check the status of my auctions 2)3) answer email questions and calls on the same device4) check the status of my shipped merchandise 5)order supplies 6)7) look up virtually any location using maquest yellow pages and get directions in one stylus click 8) coordinate meetings and appointments with agendus 9) do my manegrial finance on pocket quicken 10) read and print faxes and word documents....oh an other non business related uses include: flaslight, alarm, watch, friend impressor, gym mp3 player, movie player...i could continue but i just had a call come in...bye =)
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Originally posted by superman

I'm not sure what your problem is, but People in this forum are having fun on what they could do with there TREO's.... If you think it's sucks... don't use it....

If you rather go back to the office and do your work and spoil your lunch, so be it.... for me it work's just fine.... If you want a full page screen and easy to read, use a laptop....

ciao
    Most people reading these posts live a less structured life...with visits...what happens when you are out of the office for 5 hours and all sorts of emails and spreadsheets anf word comments need seeing? You answer a day late?
    Originally posted by searcherguy
    What are the best creative uses of software apps people have used on their Treo? I'm trying SnapperMail and the Chapura Outlook emulator app so far...
    i think thought manager is great. it is basically a tree > branch > leaf kind of organizer. it isn't yet optimized for the treo....but i use it. helps me keep track of all things i need to do. great program.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
  5.    #25  
    Hey, re the person who just said you can get maps and directions with one stylus click, are you saying you can prefill data from your Treo (e.g. a contact's address) into your source or destination fields on mapquest? Or into both source and destination fields from two contacts on your treo? Saving that typing time? How do you do that? What's the best of the online mapping services to use for that? That would be very cool... I tried using Yahoo directions but I did have to put in both addresses which took time...
    Re: searcherguy

I meant I can look up business and get directions to their location in one click (i don't have this information saved in my contacts list, as I rarely have more than one appointment in a single place) I have http://yp.mapquest.com/ bookmarked and its a life saver for me, help me find a hotel in the middle of nowhere last week in minutes
    "minibar" is the free bartender ap found at www.freewarepalm.com.
    Originally posted by searcherguy
    Hey, re the person who just said you can get maps and directions with one stylus click, are you saying you can prefill data from your Treo (e.g. a contact's address) into your source or destination fields on mapquest? Or into both source and destination fields from two contacts on your treo? Saving that typing time? How do you do that? What's the best of the online mapping services to use for that? That would be very cool... I tried using Yahoo directions but I did have to put in both addresses which took time...
    If you don't need the maps you can use Directory Assistant 2.0, which is free. If you do need the maps then you can try TripPilot. Just make sure that you use version 1.5b for TripPilot. Both applications will allow you to select the source and destination fields from your contacts.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  9.    #29  
    Cool70,

Thanks for the suggestions! This is a newbie question, but on the Treo 600, do you (or does anyone) know if I would need a separate GPS receiver to use the "show your position on a map" function or to get driving directions from my position which would be found by the receiver? If so, what's the cheapest best solution for that?
    Yes you need a GPS receiver. Just do a forum search on "GPS". There are tons of discussions about it and you will find pro's and con's. I am using the software without the GPS receiver.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Well....I was on the second floor of my house.....the lights went out. I used my T600 to guide my way to the basement to reset the circuit.
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    As a Physician (Anesthesiologist), I have 2 Anesthesia Reference Books on my Treo, which I frequently consult, and I use ePocrates to check patients drugs for side effects and interactions. I have also d/l some medical pix which I saved to my SD Card. The other day I had a patient with a very rare condition, so I did a quick Google search, found a review article, saved it as a Memo, and also beamed it to some of my Palm-enabled colleagues. I also access the Mobile version of PubMed for Medline searches, and read the daily Answerpage Medical CME via Avantgo. Lastly, I use my Treo as a flashlight when working in a darkened operating room. Needless to say, I consider my Treo indespensible in my practice (and life).
    I have to say when I first got the treo I figured I would use it for e-mail and that would be a big help for time management. (Which it has been). What I did not forsee was being able to install palmVNC on my treo, install VNC on a server at my clients and install VNC on all the local machines. Now I can connect to the server and VNC to any desktop. (And the "cool" factor for my clients is worth even more then the time that I save.)

-David
    For what is worth, the Treo can't open a garage door. The Treo sends an IR beam...the garage door doesn't use IR.
    Mike
    At my gym, i ride the LifeCycle while listening to MP3s and at same time, reading email or AvantGo web pages. I make notes and tasks when something I read requires followup. When calls come in, I can take calls and type memos & tasks based on the calls, then pop back into pTunes and AvantGo or email.

People look at me strangely, but who cares?

David
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
    c´mon, a $600 flashlight!?

Besides, the human species has been using cell phones as flashlights since ancient times...

Anyway, I would suggest a restriction to the original question. It should be a cool, innovative thing to do with the T600, but it shouldn't be something you can do with a single, non-converged device (such as a cheap cell phone or a plain Palm device). In other words, why would one choose a converged device like the T600 instead of a cheaper, simpler device?

That said, some of the uses already mentioned do seem to be a really cool way to take full advantage (or, better yet, make money) out of the T600.

I can't contribute further, however, since I'm just a recent T180 user... would you believe this is considered "early adopter" here?

Regards,
    Chriz
    Wow, I’m not the only one here who heard this garage door reference.

Originally posted by mbranscum
    For what is worth, the Treo can't open a garage door. The Treo sends an IR beam...the garage door doesn't use IR.
    You’re right, the Treo itself cannot open a garage door with IR, but the reference that I heard was not referring to a Treo in particular. They were referring to Bluetooth devices in general doing everything on the Mac platform from “controlling GarageBand to opening garage doors.” Marketing talk basically. Macworld marketing.

The only way people will be able to open garage doors with the Treo 600 is if they purchase an X10 home control unit for $50 and someone then also puts Bluetooth in the Treo.

* note: I don't remember the exact context this was used but I think the Salling Clicker was involved in some manner in referencing the power of Bluetooth on the Mac.
  18. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Of course the 600 (or any phone for that matter) can open a garage door without bluetooth. X-10 has a telephone interface that will allow you to control X-10 (homelink) devices via telephone........
    Cheers

Charles
    I used my Treo to e-mail a picture of a defective product back to the manufacturer. The company, seeing the problem, offered me a replacement immediately. While it is true that I could have done this with my digital camera if I had it on me and I remembered to use it, the picture and message I sent from my Treo were composed while waiting for a train. The phrase, a picture is worth a thousand words, takes on new meaning when the picture can be instantly e-mailed.
    When I get picked up at night, I use it as a flash light to signal my friend. lol It works great.
    http://www.firstadopter.com - where early adopters discuss great stuff first
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast