Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just curious, how does one pronounce "TREO"?

...is it Tree-O?
    ...or Tray-O?
    ...or Treh-O?

Has an official pronunciation ever been decreed?

In my opinion, the accent over the "e" on the logo indicates that it should be pronounced Tray-O as in the french: Tréo. (otherwise why would they put an accent?)

...Dazed and confused Alex...
    Hi, hs/pa1mone calls it TREE-O! Take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I prefer my Tree-Ho
    Hi, what ever works 4 you! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Guess I'm ever the odd one.

I say "Trey-o" as in the number three card in the deck.

Blue
    Originally posted by AlexMagoo

In my opinion, the accent over the "e" on the logo indicates that it should be pronounced Tray-O as in the french: Tréo. (otherwise why would they put an accent?)

...Dazed and confused Alex...
    It's the sign used in English dictionaries signifying a long e sound EE. It is not a é like you find in French suggesting the AY sound.
    I say Tree-o... I don't speak french....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Where's mol when you need him?
  9.    #9  
    Well I speak french but the English phonetic dictionary spelling sounds indeed like a very good answer.

That would explain the flat accent on the logo (and why it's not an acute or grave accent (é or è).

Thanks Alli!
    Hey Kiddies,

I was actually part of the internal team that worked through the naming at Handspring and it is indeed "Tree-o." Unless you just want to make someone from Handspring/palmOne squirm when you meet them.
    Originally posted by Blue Merlin
    Where's mol when you need him?

The french actually often write it as Tréo, pronounced as Tray-O. I've seem posts from somebody on a french board jokingly writing it as "très haut", which is almost as how they would pronounce Treo (without the é) but means "very high".
    Last edited by Mol; 01/10/2004 at 06:36 AM.
    Winebrat...LOVE that ICON you are using, it this shiznit. DId you make it your self? Sweet!, Matt
    winebrat,

nice snop dizzle and his trizzle 600 pic.
    Originally posted by Mol

The french actually often write it as Tréo, pronounced as Tray-O. I've seem posts from somebody on a french board jokingly writing it as "très haut", which is almost as how they would pronounce Treo (without the é) but means "very high".
    As a French teacher and gadget snob, I may just start calling mine a "très haut" as well!
    Based on what some have reported at numerous supposed retail outlets for the TREO 600, the word is pronounced:

== whazzat
    Main Entry: trio
    Pronunciation: 'trE-(")O
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural tri·os
    Etymology: French, from Italian, from tri- (from L)
    Date: circa 1724
    1 a : a musical composition for three voice parts or three instruments b : the secondary or episodic division of a minuet or scherzo, a march, or of various dance forms
    2 : the performers of a musical or dance trio
    3 : a group or set of three

TREO is the phonetic pronunciation of trio.
    It is a PDA, Phone, and Internet, thus "a group or set of three". That also explains the numbering e.g. 90, 180, 270, 300, 600, which are all multiples of 3.
    I have the world in my Palm
    SOMEONES in SHANGHAI........
    Wonder who it could be.....
    I think he may be a freind of Opus?
    TREE-O, three things.

Wouldn't "tres haut" be trayz-(h)ou, as a consonant before a vowel?

Having fun with my Treo :-)
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Hi,

I am French and no, with most works starting with a 'h', there is no liaison and so Treo is pronounced in French 'tray-o'.
    As mentioned already, this would be the same pronounciation as 'tres haut', which not only means 'very high', but also means: 'the Allmighty' ... which is rather appropriate for the T600, right?
    Dominique
    This is indeed the most "allmighty" smartphone I've had, and this is my third. Treo?
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast