1.    #1  
    Does anyone know how to make a Treo 600 open a garage door? Is the infrared beam capable of doing this, and if so, does anyone know whether there is a program to do this? I know there are programs that can turn the Treo into a TV remote. I just think it would be super if it could open the garage door, too. Any thoughts on this would be interesting to hear about.
    Never heard of garage door remote software for the palm, plus the IR beam may not be that strong even if it was capable, the range wouldn't be acceptable.
    Mike
    Most garage openers work on RF, not IR. If we are talking about the garden varity?For that matter, i have only seen about two or three car alarms that use IR too, the old Jeep Cherokee was like that.

What kind of opener is it?
    just trying to help, Matt
  4.    #4  
    We're just talking about a run of the mill, Craftman garage door opener, so I suspect it must run on RF (radio frequency, I take it), but I'm far from knowledgeable in this field. Maybe what I'm hoping for is not yet possible for a "smarphone", but it would be a neat trick, as well as convenient, too.
    yes, RF radio frequency. IR infered. I wonder if X10 (see www.smarthouse.com) could be used. I know you cqn log in and use the T300 or T600 to contoll the house.

But yea, that would be cool to use the T600 to open the garage door thou! Good question. Matt
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 12/30/2003 at 11:50 AM.
    Originally posted by Ken Haynes
    Does anyone know how to make a Treo 600 open a garage door?
    Use the phone portion to call home in advance and have the door opened before you arrive.

JC
    Originally posted by caseyatbt

Use the phone portion to call home in advance and have the door opened before you arrive.

JC
    Ahahhaha... Oh, how the obvious solutions are overlooked!

Seriously, though - it would be really cool if somebody figured out a way to do that someday. Never thought of that before.

What might be possible is a device that you COULD activate by dialing a number. Perhaps that's what the link above refers to. I'm gonna have to check it out.
    Scott
    Where can I get the TV remote program?
  10. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Try x-10.com. They have phone answering unit that allows it to control x-10 devices via tones from the phone as well as x-10 garage door openers.

Originally posted by Ken Haynes
    Does anyone know how to make a Treo 600 open a garage door? Is the infrared beam capable of doing this, and if so, does anyone know whether there is a program to do this? I know there are programs that can turn the Treo into a TV remote. I just think it would be super if it could open the garage door, too. Any thoughts on this would be interesting to hear about.
    Cheers

Charles
    Yea, SmartHomeUSA is all about X-10 and other stuff. You can log into your house and do and see almost everything if you want.

SmartHomeX-10stuff
    Here is a video of a TREO300 monitoring a house

http://zdnet.com.com/1601-2-5058839.html

Also, try http://www.electronichouse.com/

Enjoy, Matt Burkhard
    If you were originally thinking of using the IR for the opener... I've seen posts from folks who've used the IR for a TV Remote Control, and they report ranges between 3 and 4 feet if I recall correctly. So the Treo isn't much of an IR replacement.
    For some reason I was thinkin about this post earlier and the comments about how garage door openers operate on the radio frequency (RF) not infra-red (IR). Thus, the IR transmitter on the T600 wouldn't be able to communicate with a garage door opener. This is definitley true.

However, are we forgetting that the T600 also has a built in RF transimtter - the one it uses to connect with Sprint...

Only problem is that I'm sure the two devices work at completely different ends of the frequency spectrum - and even if the raido transmitter could be adjusted to a different frequency, I'm sure Sprint would make it very difficult to do and it probably wouldn't be worth the risk..

Who knows though, maybe someone brighter than I on this RF stuff would have a different opinion...

By the way, I like the x-10 idea. I don't know how useful it would really be for me, but it is cool.

Keith
    Originally posted by caseyatbt

JC
    My sister actually used to do this a lot when she was parking in the garage. She has a Jeep Wrangler and her garage door opener is locked inside the lockbox. If she forgot to take it out before she starts to drive home from work, she will either have to stop in front of the house, take out the key from the ignition, open the lockbox, open garage door, lock the lockbox, and then start the car again to drive in.... or she just call us from the drive way to open the door for her.
    I think this is a great idea you should email palm handspring an offer this for their next rls. as the other smart phome mfgs try t one up the T6 this would be a great sell point for the T7. maybe they'll give you a free 3
    T7 just for the suggestion
    If you can have your PC control the garage door, then you can use Palm VNC to control the PC. It's a round-about way, but your range is anywhere you got GPRS coverage.

I guess there could be danger to that too.