Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I'm considering buying PdaNet to use when I'm out and about with my laptop. But I'm very worried about getting slammed by sprint for doing this. I figure that I'll never really use it for more than 30 minutes or so at a time. Has anyone around here gotten busted for this type of usage? I'm not sure I mind the $34 for the software, but I'm not ready for the $100+ bill from sprint.

Thanks so much.
    I have personally used PDANet for three months now and on several occasions been connected for four hours straight (while actually downloading mp3s/etc in class).

Never had any extra charge of any kind nor been contacted about said usage.

It's a safe bet and well worth the $34 (even though I refuse to pay it (hint hint)).

NJK
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    what is "hint hint"? you have a warez version? where can I gt mine?!
    It's not warez. I just go through the hassle of uninstalling/reinstalling every fifteen days.

You must also remove every instance of "pdanet" from the registry.

You have to set your clock's year back, as well.

Mind you, if it were like $20, I'd probably pay.

NJK
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    You might as well be using a cracked version. It's just as bad. You are benefitting from the work of others while violating the spirit of the contract you agreed to upon installation. Grow up.
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    I am amazed you can stay on so long. I have the registered version of PdaNet and it keeps disconnecting after about 1 minute. It is a real bummer. On my 180 the old version worked great.

Anyone had luck with the new version on a Treo 600 GSM?
    Greetings theleetbeagle:

If you take what you feel your time is worth on an hourly basis, then how much money are you really saving by re-installing the program every 15 days?

Thank you.
    =====================
    Peter M. Abraham
    Dynamic Net, Inc.
    http://www.dynamicnet.net/
    I'm considering buying PdaNet to use when I'm out and about with my laptop. But I'm very worried about getting slammed by sprint for doing this. I
    It is a violation of the "Unlimited Vision" terms of service, and they are actively looking for violators. I got $65 in Vision usage charges when they suspected that I was using too much data for "just" a smartphone. In fact, it was all just normal Treo usage and I told them so. They reversed the charges.

You have to make your own decision about what you do, but the truth is that there's no way for Sprint to tell the difference between PDAnet traffic and normal Treo traffic. Sprint looks for high usage and charge you if you go over the "magic number", whatever that is. If you call to complain about charges, they ask you point blank, "Are you using your device as a modem for another computer?" If you say "no", and they are unable to give any evidence that you are lying I can't see how they could possibly try to make you pay.

In any case, I doubt that the Treo 600 is going to be eligible for unlimited Vision for much longer anyway. Their inablility to police their TOS means they will just have to make everybody pay. So this whole moral dilemma will just disappear!

b.g.
    Absurd speculation at the most!

My time isn't worth all that much, according to my employers, but nevertheless...

Reinstalling and tweaking the registry takes all of ten minutes of my time. And it continues to save me $34.

I don't even use it that often. When I'm not in class (i.e. Christmas vacation) I use it maybe once every two weeks.

"Grow up," others may say, but I'm not the one price gouging an application whose "spirit" is breaking Sprint's TOS from the onset.

As for the fellow who can't seem to stay connected: something must be wrong with either your computer and/or your Treo. Try installing PDANet on another computer in your same geographic area and see if you experience the same problem. Because that WOULD stink if you couldn't stay connected.

NJK
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    If you're going to use the software, don't rip off the guy who spent many hours creating it - and then recommend that others do the same.

I don't think you would appreciate that if you were the author. If you can't afford it, maybe you could send an e-mail to the June Fabrics folks and ask if they would consider a reduced student rate (say your $20).

Or if you're like I was in college maybe you could just pass on buying that new CD that releases this week and send the money to June Fabrics...

Keith

p.s. Does sprint charge more for Vision on Pocket Windows devices because they know it will be used as a wireless modem? I'm guessing that must be why. Maybe they could offer a similar pricing scheme for T600 users who want to be honest about their data usage... Or maybe they don't really care. It would be interersting to hear from some brass at Sprint about what they think...
    Why would I buy that new CD when I can just download it from Kazaa for free?

Sorry, you set yourself up for that one.

NJK
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    NJK,

You're right - I did set myself up for that one didn't I?

Thanks for seeing humor in my challenge of your ethics. I didn't want to offend but don't think it's fair to steal. Same feelings apply to Kazaa of course.

Keep smiling
    Greetings:

"Reinstalling and tweaking the registry takes all of ten minutes of my time. And it continues to save me $34."

Doing it six times costs you the value of one hour of your wages.

If you get paid $10 per hour, every six times of theft to save $34 costs you $10.

My ex wife once worked with a CFO who would drive one hour to spend 15 to 30 minutes in line at the Post Office, then come back (2 hours 15 minutes minimum) to literally clap with joy (they called him the clapper) because he thought he saved the company $0.xx cents on postage.

While in reality, he was stealing from the company for being a person who didn't compare the value of their time to the value of the alleged savings.

Thank you.
    An ironic story since I just drove 2 minutes to my post office to sit in line for fifteen.

Maybe I should change the name of this thread to, "Software Ethics Meets Common Sense."

I am not sure how I can make this any clearer for you.

I guess I just enjoy knowing that my computer know-how has saved me $34 in a fee that I feel is excessive. I guess if I knew a little bit more I would know how to crack the software so I wouldn't even have to do THAT.

Maybe I should just start reinstalling/tweaking while AT work so that I get paid to do it!!!

NJK
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    I love this thread!

I think theleetbeagle is the man, it's his choice to use his time in any way he wishes, and if he does this at work it's like he's getting paid to be cheap! Excellent.

For all of you that hate warez and kazza, suprnova, etc. Get the stick out of your ***... I mean com'mon, it's the enduring American Spirit that forces us to seek something for nothing. It's what this country was founded on. I mean it didn't cost our forefathers $$$'s to choose what religion to believe in, so it shouldn't cost me $99 for Windows XP.

But hat's off to those who do pay... it allows us that "beat the system" to sleep well at night knowing the software developers aren't sleeping in the streets cause you guys keep pouring cash in their pockets!

Anyways, I know I'm gonna get hosed for this post but have a sense of humor guys

Also here's a question: To reinstall are you just deleting any reference to PDAnet in the windows registry? Why do you have to set the clock back?
    Let's keep the PIRACY issues separate from this.

I am also interested in purchasing pdaNET, but would like to know if anyone has been billed extra ??

I have Cingular. MediaWorks.
    Treo 650
    Treo 600
    Cingular
    MediaWorks
    Quote Originally Posted by TrappedAtUF
    For all of you that hate warez and kazza, suprnova, etc. Get the stick out of your...
    NONE of the above are tolerated here, especially the profanity. If you think it's perfectly ok to lie, cheat, steal, and swear, please find another forum to do it on. If you want to participate here, abide by our rules!

Anyone who can afford a Treo 650 can certainly afford a $34 application if they're going to use it for more than the agreed upon trial period.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I think BMWs are too expensive...so I guess it's ok to go steal one right?
    If you have the 650, and you're too cheap to buy PDAnet...then why not just used the patched DUN on the 650 with a BT dongle and use your Treo as a modem for free? Yes the dongle cost $$, but it's hardware and fairly cheap... Anyway back to the slugfest!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    gfunk, but that would cost them approximately $40 for a BT adapter for their $1000+ computers, and Lord only knows they don't have that kind of money.

Seriously, if you have enough money to have a Treo 650, then you have enough money to purchase the software you use.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast