1.    #2  
    moderators i think this is front page news
    This is TreoCentral, not PalmCentral.

Though mention of this was made in the Q&A of this AM's earnings conference there is very little to tie this into the TREO line.
    But it will affect all palm devices, and seeing as how the Treo is one (and has another blackberry-like feature: a keyboard) that makes it pretty important. I do agree that it's not front page news, but it's definately not something to be ignored as far as the tie in possibilities with the Treo.
    I agree that it is frontpage news. Soon existing Blackberry users will be able so switch to a Treo, but keep the existing email infrastructure that is already in place.
    So, having been in a palm tunnel and blackberry ignorant all of my techie life, what does that mean? In english, please!
    Originally posted by ido
    So, having been in a palm tunnel and blackberry ignorant all of my techie life, what does that mean? In english, please!
    It's most significant for corporate users who are forced to use Blackberry devices (for mobile e-mail) because their companies have standardized on Blackberry Enterprise Server (which will only talk to Blackberry devices).

If Research In Motion expands support to non-Blackberry devices, those users will have the choice to switch to a Palm OS device like the Treo and still use their company's corporate enterprise solution on the back end.

To this date, the Blackberry system for corporate e-mail delivery to a mobile device is the standard to beat. It is a well-established and well-implemented process that many users swear by. Some users are so entrenched in the use of their Blackberry devices that the devices have been nicknamed "crackberries" (a euphemism for "crack" cocaine addiction).
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Ido,

Blackberry devices get email "pushed" to you, so basically you'll get your email sent to you when it actually arrives in your inbox. The way the Treos and other devices work with email is that you have to "retrieve" the email manually or use an automated program.

Blackberry email also connects to an existing email server so any emailing you do on your device is duplicated on your "base" computer.

My friends that use Blackberry units say they can not live without the "push" email. They do admit that a drawback is that the units don't have the Palm features.

A combined Palm unit with Blackberry email and phone would be the ultimate converged PDA! Maybe in 12 months we'll see the Treo 1200?

That's what I want!
    Million Dollar Bills, anyone?

<a href="http://www.millionbill.com">www.MillionBill.com</a>
    Yippie! This is fantastic news. I can't wait. Too bad for Sprint/Seven as they will never be able to sell their BC software anymore.
    I'll bet even money that Palm and RIM merge companies or one acquires other withing 18 months. Anything to fight the evil empire, MediocreSoft.
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
    Originally posted by dnheller
    I'll bet even money that Palm and RIM merge companies or one acquires other withing 18 months. Anything to fight the evil empire, MediocreSoft.
    i'm not betting anything, but i had the same thought.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by dnheller
    Eh... I don't think so. In fact I don't think anyone will touch RIM until the whole NTP lawsuit situation is resolved. Otherwise there's jsut too much liability and risk there. I personally think this is a smart move by RIM b/c I doubt they would survive much longer as a handset OEM anyway. Its' a smarter move for them to lisence their technology to other manufacturers than try to compete in the same space as Palmone, Dell, HP, Sony etc. In fact RIM has already made an agreement with Dell to integrae BB-like technology into the rumored X7 device. I just wonder how much the actual end user cost will be...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions