Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I like my Treo and have owned 5 Palm OS-enabled smartphones (Kyocera brick, Samsung i300+i330, and the Treo 300). But as the Windows-enabled phones become more prevalent... when do the early adopters switch?

Are we using a top of the line horse and buggy when a bottom of the line car is out there? Maybe they don't have keyboards and other features yet, but is Windows still much more functional than Palm OS and always-crashing Blazer? Sure I like my Palm games but aren't there far more options on a Windows platform?

And before I could justify my reliance on Palm OS because of my long list of contacts -- but don't the Windows phones synch with Outlook?

When will the Windows phones catch up, and when should we make that leap? I just can't see Palm OS 8 being as good as Windows for mobile phones in 2007.

Anyone have a better insight into the future here?
    ummm..... NEVER!
    Originally posted by masonuc
    When will the Windows phones catch up, and when should we make that leap?

Anyone have a better insight into the future here?
    Who says that they will catch up?

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    As I look at the microsoft driven smartphones, i think... all the devices are either entirely too bulky, or too small, in the case of the flip phones, to be very usable.

I think the designers failed to carefully respond to the user's need and the devices don't compare to the treo 600.

I see the palm platform developing into something like the Microsoft/Apple paradox, but with the Palm platform covering 40-50% of the market.

any thoughts?
    When Palm OS 6 is < 30% of BeOS and still > 60% Palm OS 5...
  6. NBP
    Looking into the future, I envision a world where the PDA/smartphone could render the laptop into a niche market. If this does, indeed, happen, then a large portion of Apple's sales would go away. Not intent to let that happen, I think that Apple would jump back into the PDA arena (Newton revival?). If they do, you have to like their chances of developing an OS that Microsoft wouldn't be able to rival.

Or perhaps this is just wishful thinking.
    *sigh* Here we go.

But as the Windows-enabled phones become more prevalent... when do the early adopters switch?
    Why? What are the compelling reasons to switch? I'm not going to dump my Treo just M$ developed an OS for a phone. and btw, IT IS NOT WINDOWS IN PHONE! It is specifically Windows Mobile 2003 smartphone which incidently is NOT compatible with WM03 for PPC's. Thus, no vast library of app like the Treo600. What would make me switch is if PalmOne failed to deliver in the next iteration of the Treo (i.e. no high rez screen, BT etc).

Are we using a top of the line horse and buggy when a bottom of the line car is out there?
    Your assumption wrong. In fact it is Symbian which is "top of the line horse" as far as market share is concerned. If you base your decisions on market share, you probably should have gotten a Nokia 3650 or SE P900...

Maybe they don't have keyboards and other features yet, but is Windows still much more functional than Palm OS and always-crashing Blazer? Sure I like my Palm games but aren't there far more options on a Windows platform?
    I have not had blazer crash on me. You should probably perform the "delete cookies" procedure as described on PalmOne's FYI. Furthermore, if you don't think M$ smartphones crash, then you'll be in for a rude awakening. Having to wait for your SPV to boot up after a crash must be a wonderful experience. As far as games, see my above post. The library of software for WM03 for smartphones is no where near that for PalmOS. PPC phone is of course a different matter and many PPC apps will work. However, with PalmOne finally releasing the Websphere J2ME for the Treo600, a huge amont of java enabled games will now be available for the Treo which should complement nicely with various PalmOS games and emu's like Gizmo,NesEm etc...

When will the Windows phones catch up, and when should we make that leap? I just can't see Palm OS 8 being as good as Windows for mobile phones in 2007.
    OMG! You're right! Tell ya what...why wait? You should probably go right now and get i600 or something and I'm sure you'll be very happy! This is the same tried "Palm is dead" nonsense that always come up. It's not going to happen, sorry...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'll put it this way... are we early adopters because something seems to work better although it's early, or simply because it's new and no one else has it so we want to be the first kid on the block with the new toy?

Me, I'm on the first band. I am an early adopter as a side effect of looking for the best solution for everything. Right now Microsoft smartphones look like they have potential but are nowhere near our Treos in terms of sheer usefulness and practicality, thanks toits incredibly high quality, tons of software of absolutely all sorts, and continuing improvement through software.

That's not to say there won't be a Treo killer from the Microsoft side of things, but I will look into that with an open mind when and if that happens. I don't believe in being a brand loyalist, I think it's bad in the long run.

PS: Gfunkmatic: no offense meant at all, but spelling MS with a dollar sign is very naive. I am not "pro" or "anti" MS, but the notion that they are somehow more greedy than, say, Apple, is just uninformed. That's what companies do, and most of them do it. I know it seems minor but an army of people typing "M$" has made it fashionable to bash MS for the hell of it, which doesn't get us anywhere, imho.

Again, truly no offense intended, just a comment.
    Personally, I wouldn't go near a windows phone, having the misfortune to have to use their buggy os at work, in comparison it's a pleasure to use palm. We need an alternative to windoze, I use mac x at home, this os never crashes and if mac had a smartphone it might be a different matter though
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Originally posted by murrayalex
    Personally, I wouldn't go near a windows phone, having the misfortune to have to use their buggy os at work, in comparison it's a pleasure to use palm. We need an alternative to windoze, I use mac x at home, this os never crashes and if mac had a smartphone it might be a different matter though
    A Mac os based phone might make me switch!! But that's not likely to happen. You mentioned that the MS based phones don't have a keyboard (in the first post that is) and i PERSONALLY find the keyboard MUCH less desireable that a graffiti area, which would put the MS phones as more desireable. But i would never switch from Palm based phone. It does what it does perfectly for my taste. It is like Chick-Fil-A, they do the chicken sandwich and that's basically it, but they do it better than anybody!! I'm not looking for my phone to replace my powerbook. Plus, i can just see downloading a security update every week for an MS based phone.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    To whoever started this forum (sorry i forget your name):

As a user who used to DESPISE PalmOS and palm related devices, i first started off years ago with wince --> pocket pc. I waited and waited when palm released their OS system, I have always been a windows fan (well, sort of) and i did not want to "give in" for a pda on another os which i thought at that time - would not be able to compete with windows OS programs.

I have used countless Pda's - pocket pc's, wince's, but they never served my needs. I needed to be able to use the web or write emails from my device, but what good was a device if i had to "plug it in" in order to access the web. why couldn't something be used on the same Mhz that pagers were used on? Mobitex, Cingular and something else in my area all used 800/850/900/950 mhz paging systems, there HAD to be something to suit my needs.

And then came along the blackberry. 850/950 were my first "purchases". i then moved up to 957 which i thought was PERFECT for my needs of web browsing and mail and chat clients.

So i had my pocket pc in one pocket, my blackberry on my hip, and my cell phone in my other pocket. while i liked the blackberry, it still lacked lots and lots of apps that other systems seemed to be getting.

Then this past year I almost bought the Toshiba e750/e755 device with WIFI enabled internally. Here, I thought, was the solution to a lot of problems. I could go around work/coffee shop/airport with my device, check mail and browse, download apps, etc. However, battery consumption was horrible plus....no keyboard.

Let me explain to you why this TREO 600 device will work and if it hasn't already... will be a BOOM in the industry.

It has just about EVERYTHING! The Carriers that carry unlimited DATA are SATISFYING THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!! It is FAST and EASY! i do NOT see any WINDOWS enabled smart phones on sprint. (correct me if i'm wrong) The keyboard (while it has a few mistakes here and there ie. took me 10 minutes to figure out how to put = equals sign in my web address) is ESSENTIAL. from someone who writes 25 emails a day and walks/runs about 2 miles all over the place, this thing rocks my world. there is really no reason to "drop" Palmos devices in place of windows enabled smart phones. with more advertising (if sprint would do a TV campaign with the treo 600 - there would be sell outs for a year i'm guessing, which is probably why they aren't pushing it, not to mention what would happen to the BW) i believe the PalmOS would OUTDO windows pocketpc's.... the keyboard is just to valuable.

I know, i know what you are going to say..."what about the keyboard extension/clip on for HP or similar devices".

Look, it's too bulky already. Sometimes i think the treo 600 is too small. Sometimes i don't. To me, it's just about right (wish the camera was a bit better and screen was better than 160x160 but i've started using the camera techniques from another website/thread that was started here).

To me, perhaps in the next year or so will we see a windows enabled or pocket pc "phone" that matches up to this. While Sprint offers the PocketPC phone... it doesn't come CLOSE to this.

The treo 600 / palmOS systems just about have it all. You have no idea how ESSENTIAL it is to people like me who can palmVNC into my desktop, run Excel or Word, send an attachment or mass emailing to myself, and then open it and forward it to the people on my list. Not to mention what Palm.Video , upIRC, Verichat, Ptunes Deluxe, VFSFTP+ can do. I truly believe palmOne/Handspring hit it on the nose....especially with releasing the J2ME devkit yesterday. For someone who years ago swore never to switch to PalmOS, i am glad i did and can't tell you how impressed and happy I am with the results of PalmOS apps, utils and especially this device. I am overjoyed.
    Sincerely,
    ATJL

ps. i still haven't gotten used to hitting the menu key thinking i can "exit" a program or "multi task" but eh, i'm sure i need to read up more on the PalmOS environment
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    As a long time palm user, I switched to a PPC earlier this year. (the IPAQ 2215) It's a very nice PDA, and the think the Windows Mobile operating system is pretty decent. However, I find myself really missing the Palm OS. I liked it's simplicity, and robustness. This is one of the reasons I'm selling my Ipaq to get a Treo. (Let me know if anyone's interested in my IPAQ )
    I don't have anything against Microsoft - in fact I really like Windows XP and think it's every bit as stable as OSX. But for handheld devices, there's just something about Palm that is really appealing.
    Originally posted by NBP
    Looking into the future, I envision a world where the PDA/smartphone could render the laptop into a niche market. If this does, indeed, happen, then a large portion of Apple's sales would go away. Not intent to let that happen, I think that Apple would jump back into the PDA arena (Newton revival?). If they do, you have to like their chances of developing an OS that Microsoft wouldn't be able to rival.

Or perhaps this is just wishful thinking.
    Never happen. Too many people need touch-typing on laptop, formatting documents in WYSIWYG word processors, etc. Too many apps are still too demanding of power and full-size screen

As for Palm vs. MedicoresSoft smart phoes: my signature below says it all.
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I see 2004 as the year I get Windows off of my desktop - don't intend to put it on my PDA!

Danita
    In the future, you are likely to see two camps form
    GSM/WCDMA: Symbian, Linux, and Palm
    CDMA2000: smartphone, ppc, Palm, maybe Linux (1st device was launched today for S. Korea by Samsung)

I don't see Linux ever dominating anywhere besides the server market. Palm has a huge lead in terms of apps for handhelds. Some have said that Symbian suffers from Multiple Personality Disroder because of all the different user interfaces, which may turn off business...but MS smartphone, MS ppc, and Windows CE are all variants too.

The big competitor is Symbian. I have used both Series 60 and UIQ devices...and they are very good. If they had half the apps and customizations that are available for Palm, I would probably have a P900 right now. However, Palm OS devices have made the cleanest transition to smartphones. MS owns desktops, don't look for them to dominate the mobile world too. That's for Symbian, and maybe Palm if they can ever get it together...or maybe we will be the Apple of the mobile world
    Posted by NBP:
    Newton revival?
    Yes, please -- I'd be gone from Palm in a heart beat for that.

Posted by vkchengm:
    Wait -- is this anti BeOS sentiment? Or are you just being practical in that the move towards Be would be a logical moment to switch to something else new? I kind of think the Palm-Be thing is pretty cool, myself, and actually find that to be something that keeps me sticking with Palm.

As far a MS products go -- look, I'll use anything that works. Microsoft is annoying because they seem to limit our choices, but they do actually make good products sometimes (mouses, for instance).
    I agree with your comments. As a Treo 600 user that uses it throughout the day and frankly depends upon it for constant documentation and reference, it's a heck of a device. Prior to purchasing it, I looked at the Windoz handhelds and did not like what I saw. The Treo 600 is just the right size, fast and stable (as stable as the software that is being updated to work on it). At first, I had a bunch of resets, but now, it is rare - considering I am messing with three beta products. Overall, it is an excellent product that keeps me from being overloaded.

Ben

Originally posted by sledgie
    To whoever started this forum (sorry i forget your name):

As a user who used to DESPISE PalmOS and palm related devices, i first started off years ago with wince --> pocket pc. I waited and waited when palm released their OS system, I have always been a windows fan (well, sort of) and i did not want to "give in" for a pda on another os which i thought at that time - would not be able to compete with windows OS programs.

I have used countless Pda's - pocket pc's, wince's, but they never served my needs. I needed to be able to use the web or write emails from my device, but what good was a device if i had to "plug it in" in order to access the web. why couldn't something be used on the same Mhz that pagers were used on? Mobitex, Cingular and something else in my area all used 800/850/900/950 mhz paging systems, there HAD to be something to suit my needs.

And then came along the blackberry. 850/950 were my first "purchases". i then moved up to 957 which i thought was PERFECT for my needs of web browsing and mail and chat clients.

So i had my pocket pc in one pocket, my blackberry on my hip, and my cell phone in my other pocket. while i liked the blackberry, it still lacked lots and lots of apps that other systems seemed to be getting.

Then this past year I almost bought the Toshiba e750/e755 device with WIFI enabled internally. Here, I thought, was the solution to a lot of problems. I could go around work/coffee shop/airport with my device, check mail and browse, download apps, etc. However, battery consumption was horrible plus....no keyboard.

Let me explain to you why this TREO 600 device will work and if it hasn't already... will be a BOOM in the industry.

It has just about EVERYTHING! The Carriers that carry unlimited DATA are SATISFYING THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!! It is FAST and EASY! i do NOT see any WINDOWS enabled smart phones on sprint. (correct me if i'm wrong) The keyboard (while it has a few mistakes here and there ie. took me 10 minutes to figure out how to put = equals sign in my web address) is ESSENTIAL. from someone who writes 25 emails a day and walks/runs about 2 miles all over the place, this thing rocks my world. there is really no reason to "drop" Palmos devices in place of windows enabled smart phones. with more advertising (if sprint would do a TV campaign with the treo 600 - there would be sell outs for a year i'm guessing, which is probably why they aren't pushing it, not to mention what would happen to the BW) i believe the PalmOS would OUTDO windows pocketpc's.... the keyboard is just to valuable.

I know, i know what you are going to say..."what about the keyboard extension/clip on for HP or similar devices".

Look, it's too bulky already. Sometimes i think the treo 600 is too small. Sometimes i don't. To me, it's just about right (wish the camera was a bit better and screen was better than 160x160 but i've started using the camera techniques from another website/thread that was started here).

To me, perhaps in the next year or so will we see a windows enabled or pocket pc "phone" that matches up to this. While Sprint offers the PocketPC phone... it doesn't come CLOSE to this.

The treo 600 / palmOS systems just about have it all. You have no idea how ESSENTIAL it is to people like me who can palmVNC into my desktop, run Excel or Word, send an attachment or mass emailing to myself, and then open it and forward it to the people on my list. Not to mention what Palm.Video , upIRC, Verichat, Ptunes Deluxe, VFSFTP+ can do. I truly believe palmOne/Handspring hit it on the nose....especially with releasing the J2ME devkit yesterday. For someone who years ago swore never to switch to PalmOS, i am glad i did and can't tell you how impressed and happy I am with the results of PalmOS apps, utils and especially this device. I am overjoyed.
    Sincerely,
    ATJL

ps. i still haven't gotten used to hitting the menu key thinking i can "exit" a program or "multi task" but eh, i'm sure i need to read up more on the PalmOS environment
  18. NBP
    Originally posted by dnheller

Never happen. Too many people need touch-typing on laptop, formatting documents in WYSIWYG word processors, etc. Too many apps are still too demanding of power and full-size screen
    To imagine technology five years out is a near impossible task. To suggest "never" in technology is just begging to be proven wrong.
    Originally posted by vkchengm
    What? Palm OS has ties to BeOS?
    Originally posted by snerdy

Wait -- is this anti BeOS sentiment? Or are you just being practical in that the move towards Be would be a logical moment to switch to something else new? I kind of think the Palm-Be thing is pretty cool, myself, and actually find that to be something that keeps me sticking with Palm.
    If Pa1m can live up to my expectation....
    Palm-Be OS is definately the "OS To Go"! with PDA version + Notebook version
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast