Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I understand that I can get a T600 with either Sprint or AT&T as the carrier. Does anyone have advice as to which I should go with?

Thanks.
    make sure you look at the price on ATT's unlimited data plan, its not cheap.
    It would depend on the carriers coverage in your area...
    On my treo 270 I had T-Mobile, and the coverage was spotty, at work it was great, but at home I couldn't make a call. With the treo 600 I went with Cingular, and there is no comparrison (for the Chicago area) I have never been in an area without coverage, and the quality of the calls is like night and day - so much better!!
  4.    #4  
    I heard that if you go with AT&T, you get international coverage. I occassionally have to be in Canada and Mexico, so is it true that AT&T would work there and Sprint and Cingular wouldn't?

I have a Good G100 with Cingular for the past two years, and I couldn't get any coverage at my house. With Sprint, I get "one bar" occassionally, which is better but not good.

Thanks.
    The Cingular one is GSM and unlocked so you could just pop another SIM card in there (one of those pre-paid ones presumably) when traveling internationally and pay much less than you would with your own plan.
    According to Sprint, you can. However, I have not traveled to Canada nor Mexico recently.

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/co...=1071239503734
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  7.    #7  
    Thanks...

Is there a way of checking on coverage of carriers in a particular area before you buy the T600 and select a carrier?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by maynard123
    I understand that I can get a T600 with either Sprint or AT&T as the carrier. Does anyone have advice as to which I should go with?

Thanks.
    My experience with Sprint is that their prices are good, but if anything goes wrong, their customer service is the worst I've ever come across... for any company in any industry. Long wait times, no responses, etc.

Another caveat, because of the frequency that Sprint uses, I understand that reception inside buildings is somewhat worse than the lower frequencies of GSM. This was corroborated with my experience with Sprint, but I only have anecdotal evidence.

-C
    Originally posted by maynard123
    Thanks...

Is there a way of checking on coverage of carriers in a particular area before you buy the T600 and select a carrier?

Thanks.
    Well...

You can take a look at the maps provided by each carrier on their website if you want, however, I would not rely on them too much. I would ask here for input on the specific areas that you are concerned about. Also, Howard Forums has a forum for each carrier. Good place to ask. You can also try http://www.cellphone.homestead.com/

cash70
    Last edited by cash70; 12/12/2003 at 10:14 AM.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Originally posted by larryk
    It would depend on the carriers coverage in your area...
    On my treo 270 I had T-Mobile, and the coverage was spotty, at work it was great, but at home I couldn't make a call. With the treo 600 I went with Cingular, and there is no comparrison (for the Chicago area) I have never been in an area without coverage, and the quality of the calls is like night and day - so much better!!
    Is it possible you got much better reception, because the Treo 600 has notably better reception than the 270?

I would recommend AT&T as Sprint calls go directly to voice mail when you're in data mode, but if you have to drive around the country a bunch or want service to be cheaper go with sprint.

Personally, I'd choose Cingular or T-mobile.
    I understand that reception inside buildings is somewhat worse than the lower frequencies of GSM. This was corroborated with my experience with Sprint, but I only have anecdotal evidence.
    I've discovered the opposite, generally. Verizon (same frequence as Sprint, to my knowledge) always had the best in-building reception.
    Stay away from Cingular if you plan on using your phone for email and/or web browsing. I just got hit with a $400 bill because I went way over my alotted 5MB ($14.99/month) and I'm doing nothing more than checking my email several times a day.

Rumor is that ATT are about to or have started offering a $19.99 unlimited data plan similar to T-mobile, but I haven't seen anything 'official' yet.

I talked to a supervisor at Cingular and he said there are no immediate plans to offer an unlimited data plan.

T-mobile, here I come....
    Originally posted by cccatl

Another caveat, because of the frequency that Sprint uses, I understand that reception inside buildings is somewhat worse than the lower frequencies of GSM. This was corroborated with my experience with Sprint, but I only have anecdotal evidence.

-C
    Absolutely true! For example, if I go into the mall or Home Depot, I usually lose Sprint coverage (this happened on my old Samsung 8500 or my Treo 600). However, it's not unsual to have the Treo switch over to Digital Roaming (Verizon) while in the stores.

If you can live with occasional roaming charges, then you're ok, if not, then you should look at other carriers (the best for this would be Verizon imho)
    I recently spent a month in Canada with my Sprint Treo600. It works, albeit in roaming mode. So, no data mode, but perfect voice/call functionality. The only thing I noticed was some odd behavior regarding caller IDs, sometimes it would display the incoming number correctly and sometimes it would show it as "No Caller ID".

Don't know about Mexico.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    .....solely because I was told by tech support at Palm that Sprint's Treo 600 has faster data service than any other carrier. No trouble with signal strength either at home or at work.....in fact, it works in places my Verizon phone does not.
    Still waiting for T-Mobile to offer the T600.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I had a Tmobile sidekick, since sold, not because the sidekick is bad (it's not, but treo is better) but because about 80% of the places that I went, especially indoors, I got no signal -- couldn't get or make voice calls and no data reception.

And I have a friend who got into the same position with a Sony-Ericson phone (on tmo).

Stupidly, I waited several months for the situation to change, and tmo kept saying that they were "increasing tower capacity" in my area and I got left holding a $200 cancellation charge. Which I wouldn't have had if I had made a snap decision within 15 days and told them to take their phone and their network and stick it!

The first 15 days that I had sprint, I went everywhere and checked reception and it was pretty decent (indoors too). Not "verizon-good", just good.

This is in San Jose, Cupertino, Santa Clara (the Silicon valley area). YMMV.

--jasonl
    --jaslo
    I am with Cingular and have good coverage in my area, SF. Much better than AT&T for sure. If you travel internationally, you need to ask to have international roaming turned on. It doesn't cost any more to your plan, but allows you to roam on other carrier's GSM network. SMS also works when internationally roaming. But of course, voice calls will be at a premium roaming cost. I believe it is $1.40/min for voice. Data has not worked for me while internationally roaming.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    x
    --jaslo
    I think the gist of this thread is that you need to look at the coverage in your area, and areas you think you'll be travelling to, and figure out which carriers offer decent coverage there.

Then compare the available plans to your needs. If you expect to do a LOT of web browsing for example, PCS Vision may be your best bet. But if you expect to use the phone in Europe, you'll want a GSM version. Etc.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast