Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I first seen the treo 600 I fell in love. Then like a woman, the more time I spend with it, I find annoying lil flaws and miss my old woman (cell phone) more and more and more each day.

Listed below are some small issues. They're small, but bunch them up and it's a decent size and carries a lot of weight. I'm seriously considering selling my T600 to get the 5500 with video cam.

1: No voice ringers! SUPERPHONE that can play MP3 files, take thousands of photos but can't play voice ringers. I miss my "I got mail, YAAAY I GOT MAIL" notification when I get mail.

2: Volume of ringers is horrible! so is the vibe mode. It's got a speaker phone, how about a lil more volume! If the phone is in a shirt pocket, no problem. But if it's in your pants or in a case, there's a great chance you won't hear the ring or feel the vibe. My 8100 was 20 times louder.

3: Camera sucks a$$ (because I got use to the A600 cam). No zoom? No flash? No problem, I can live with it, but the cam on my old 8100 was better. $600 superphone witha crappy camera that only works of your outside or on the surface of the sun.

4: No voice dial! Hey, it's a PDA. It can run applications, how about a fuggin voice app! Getting to the contacts is not hard, unless you're driving. Sure you can add a button to do it, but you only have 4 buttons to do stuff with. It was great to pickup the phone and push ONE button and say "OFFICE" and BAM! You're connected. Sure, I can sign up for Sprints Voice Command, but why pay for it when every cell phone I've ever owned already had it integrated into the phone.

5: Only 50 speed dials! Hello! It's a friggin PDA! With TONZ of memory. 50 speed dials? I have over 50 family members not to mention clients, friends, hoes, etc. that I'd like to assign numbers to. My A600 had 180 numbers in it and they was ALLLL speed dial that I've remembered. Now, I only got 50.

6: Can't asign ringers/photos/screen savers to everyone. Only to the special 50 people worthy of speed dial.

7: Can't use MP3 files as ringers! I wold love to be able to use a MP3 file as a ringer, some hacks are working on the application, but that's something the assholes at Treo should have done already.

8: No loop for a lanyard or strap! I know this sounds very small, but if you ever used a strap on ANY cell phone you depend on it like a crutch. It's just a little loop. Why not install one? I'd love to meet the arseholes that work in development stage, and see why not make one.

9: Fun programs cost money! If you want a crappy game or a crappy dice program, there's thousands upon thousands available. If you want a 1/2 way decent PDA program, they'll run you over 15 bucks each.

10: No removeable battery! One piece? So the idea of having two batteries or an extended battery is not an option. Sure it's a 4 hour talk time battery, but if you're playing a game or screwing around with the 99,000 useless features you're using up battery life. Yeah there's a battery extender, but I have to buy 4 AA batteries every time I want to juice up? I don't always have the laptop with me to charge off of that.

11: No screen saver mode! Know when your phone is idle and you can have a photo of your kid or woman or car with the time? Can't do that here. Sure, you can put a screen saver on the phone portion, but if you're in PDA mode and kill the screen, you can't see your photo.

Now, for every thing I listed above there is a decent chance that some hack will write some software to fix the problem. Chances of that software being free is a long shot. So, for every possible fix, you're looking at a minimum of $15 each.

Don't get me wrong, I love this phone. For now, these 11 little problems are making me want to touch and feel a 5500. As time goes by, the list will grow to 16 to 20 and this phone may end up on Ebay.

What do you think? (I realize I'm new to this forum and new to this phone, mabey if I read the Bible sized manual a few more times, I may be able to fix 3 of my complaints, but I just needed to vent)
    See my responses in red throughout...

Originally posted by FatTony
    When I first seen the treo 600 I fell in love. Then like a woman, the more time I spend with it, I find annoying lil flaws and miss my old woman (cell phone) more and more and more each day.

Listed below are some small issues. They're small, but bunch them up and it's a decent size and carries a lot of weight. I'm seriously considering selling my T600 to get the 5500 with video cam.

1: No voice ringers! SUPERPHONE that can play MP3 files, take thousands of photos but can't play voice ringers. I miss my "I got mail, YAAAY I GOT MAIL" notification when I get mail.

I'm sure a developer out there is working on making mp3's usable as a ringtone. Then you could use whatever sounds you want.

2: Volume of ringers is horrible! so is the vibe mode. It's got a speaker phone, how about a lil more volume! If the phone is in a shirt pocket, no problem. But if it's in your pants or in a case, there's a great chance you won't hear the ring or feel the vibe. My 8100 was 20 times louder.

Vibe is not very powerful - I'll give you that but ringer volume is directly affected by the midi quality and instrument choice. The speaker itself is really loud and with a correctly formatted midi the ringtone is too.

3: Camera sucks a$$ (because I got use to the A600 cam). No zoom? No flash? No problem, I can live with it, but the cam on my old 8100 was better. $600 superphone witha crappy camera that only works of your outside or on the surface of the sun.

The A600 camera is nice - I do wish it had a better cam but I find it to be satisfactory for just sharing a moment with someone across the wire - I use my Canon S400 when I want high quality.

4: No voice dial! Hey, it's a PDA. It can run applications, how about a fuggin voice app! Getting to the contacts is not hard, unless you're driving. Sure you can add a button to do it, but you only have 4 buttons to do stuff with. It was great to pickup the phone and push ONE button and say "OFFICE" and BAM! You're connected. Sure, I can sign up for Sprints Voice Command, but why pay for it when every cell phone I've ever owned already had it integrated into the phone.

I had voice dial on my Kyocera 6035 and found that it sucked. If you have a Sprint phone, just get Voice Command - I liket it better anyway. Also keep in mind that you can assign important number to any keyboard key by using a favorite. It's even faster than using a voice feature.

5: Only 50 speed dials! Hello! It's a friggin PDA! With TONZ of memory. 50 speed dials? I have over 50 family members not to mention clients, friends, hoes, etc. that I'd like to assign numbers to. My A600 had 180 numbers in it and they was ALLLL speed dial that I've remembered. Now, I only got 50.

You can speed dial your entire contact list by just typing their initials on the keyboard. You can also set up your phone so that when you begin dialing it looks for alpha matches in the contact book instead of just entering numbers. if you want to enter numbers you'd just use the screen keypad. Besides, who can keep much more than 50 speed dial shortcuts in thier head anyway? I only have a 2k buffer!

6: Can't asign ringers/photos/screen savers to everyone. Only to the special 50 people worthy of speed dial.

Again, developers are working on it.

7: Can't use MP3 files as ringers! I wold love to be able to use a MP3 file as a ringer, some hacks are working on the application, but that's something the assholes at Treo should have done already.

See response to #1

8: No loop for a lanyard or strap! I know this sounds very small, but if you ever used a strap on ANY cell phone you depend on it like a crutch. It's just a little loop. Why not install one? I'd love to meet the arseholes that work in development stage, and see why not make one.

Yep - they should have provided one.

9: Fun programs cost money! If you want a crappy game or a crappy dice program, there's thousands upon thousands available. If you want a 1/2 way decent PDA program, they'll run you over 15 bucks each.

Of course they will! It takes a lot of time and a fair bit of money to develop quality apps! At least you are able to extend the functionality of this phone. Try editing a word doc on a Nokia phone some time.

10: No removeable battery! One piece? So the idea of having two batteries or an extended battery is not an option. Sure it's a 4 hour talk time battery, but if you're playing a game or screwing around with the 99,000 useless features you're using up battery life. Yeah there's a battery extender, but I have to buy 4 AA batteries every time I want to juice up? I don't always have the laptop with me to charge off of that.

palmone is offering an extended, external battery pack for hte Treo 600. I believe it's available now. I do agree however that the built-in battery should be replaceable.

11: No screen saver mode! Know when your phone is idle and you can have a photo of your kid or woman or car with the time? Can't do that here. Sure, you can put a screen saver on the phone portion, but if you're in PDA mode and kill the screen, you can't see your photo.

Again, developers are working on it.

Now, for every thing I listed above there is a decent chance that some hack will write some software to fix the problem. Chances of that software being free is a long shot. So, for every possible fix, you're looking at a minimum of $15 each.

See response to #9

Don't get me wrong, I love this phone. For now, these 11 little problems are making me want to touch and feel a 5500. As time goes by, the list will grow to 16 to 20 and this phone may end up on Ebay.

What do you think? (I realize I'm new to this forum and new to this phone, mabey if I read the Bible sized manual a few more times, I may be able to fix 3 of my complaints, but I just needed to vent)

Plus - you could do a search on the forum - alot of your gripes have been covered already.
    I'm just curious, what exactly made you fall in love with it in the first place? You make some good points, but with all the little things that bother you, I think you maybe should have waited until your ultimate device comes out, if ever.
    Just curious
    Peace
    Charles (Loving my T600)
  4.    #4  
    I was happy with my Samsung A600. Then I seen the Treo 600 on TechTv and I got the hots for it. So I dumped my A600 on ebay to get the Treo.

I read your red letter stuff, and I'm trying to make more then 50 speed dial and it don't work. I'm trying to type in a few characters, but that just brings up the names. When I'm driving I want to hit one button or say "**** face Bob" and boom, I'm being connected (got into a hellish accident once because I was playing with a phone book).

I guess I'm just missing my old girlfriend (Samsung A600) that had all of the 11 features that I *****ed about.

I said I'm sorry to my Treo 600. I'll love it and be loyal forever. Until the next SuperFone comes out.
    Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord your God with all of your heart. Seek his will in all you do and He will direct your paths.
    Yeah that does suck. A more irritating thing fo rme is LACK OF VOICE RECORDER feature in the Treo600! it relly bugs they hell out of me that a $600 dollar pda phone cannot do voice recording like other less expensive pda's! Anyway there has to be a workaround fo rthis issue. There's already apps out there that will allow you to use mp3/wav file as alarms, so hopefully an app to use mp3/wav as ringers won't be far away. The updated TCringer perhaps? Heck whatever happaned to that anyway...

That's most likely b/c of the ringer you have not the Treo! Search the forums for links to LOUD midi ringers, there's a bunch of them...

C'mon now, cut the Treo a little slack here. You're comparing it to the 8100 which in addition to the 5300 have the best cameras among ALL Sprint phones. Heck even the new VM4500 I recently purchased doesn't have a camera as nice as the 5300! Anyway, I also wish the Treo600 camera had flash..all I can say is that if you bought the Treo for the camera, then you made a bad decision. You got to take into account all the features of which the camera is just one. Hopefully PalmOne will improve (heck they better) the camera in future models.

Also there's a rumor that PalmOne will release a software patch/Rom update to improve the camera image quality...unconfirmed of course...

Refer to my rant above. I agree this is one of the few critical flaws of the Treo600 (in addition to lack of high rez screenie). Basically the story is that Handspring ran out of money prior to the launch of the Treo (and prior to the merger with Palm) to develop the voice recorder/voice command functionality into the device. There was initially hope that 3rd party developers would be able fill this void, but PalmOne has not been very quick in releasing the appropiate API's. However one developer, Audacity, has intimated that they expect PalmOne to finally release a software update sometime early next year to finally allow products like the DVR to function on the Treo600. One can only hope... Anyway, in the short term I signe up for Sprint's VC which is a good deal since I'm only paying $5 for the feature on all three phones on my shared plan...

Dude, you memorized a 180 speed dials! Anyway, you really try to investigate some 3rd party dialers to fit your needs. Remember, that is the whole point of PalmOS...TONS OF APPS to fit your needs. I personally recommed TakephONE which is really a neat dialer replacement and much more intuitive than simple speed dials. There's an ongoing mega-thread on TakePhone that you can find here for more info...

Like Derek said. Remember that the Treo600 has only been out a couple months! It will take a while for devs to release their apps. Recall that TreoPictureID came out months after the release of the Treo300/270! Anyway, it rumored that TCringer when/if eventually released will allow for indiv ringer customizatons etc...

*sigh* Now your just irrating me calling peopl A___. Good grief...

Again with the lack of maturity... Anyway, I'ld rather have a nice case with clip/strap than a lanyard...

So you spent $600 bucks on a phone and now your complaining about spending $15 on software? If you can't afford it then you shouldn't have bought the Treo in the first place...

Umm...yeah? Did you not know this when you bought the Treo? This has been a known defect since the Treo600 was announced. If you had bothered to do a search, you would have found tons of threads complaining about the lack of a replaceable battey, among which I'm probably one of the most vocal detractors. The point is that most of us bought the Treo anyway with full knowledge of this fact. Complaining about something you already knew about seems kinda pointless to me....any there a few solutons as Derek already mentioned...

Again, try to do some searching to find the appropiate PalmOS app to fit your requirements. A quick 2 second search on Palmgear and I found a freeware app like screen saver that might fit you needs. Another app you might wanna checkout is SplashClock. The apps will eventually come...

Anyway after reading your post, I see you fail to mention all the things that the Treo can do that the 5300 can't. What about email, mp3 playback, shoutcast streaming, Kinoma/Mmplayer movies, GG/NES emu, Mobile TS RDS, Mergic VPN, ebooks, and the rest? If you just wanted a pure "phone" then you probably shouldn't have bought the Treo. But if you actually use the Treo's features to its full potential, there are very few other products that can come close to matching it (but that's another discussion)...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #6  
    I spent $600 on a phone, the fact that I have to spend more money to get it to do what I want is annoying.

I never had a Palm before. I was a crappy salesman with a laptop, so never needed a Palm before. I thought the software was free (yes, I know that I am a 'tard).

Yes, I remembered 180 speed dial numbers. Well, not all of them, but I remembered well over 110. For the other 80 not so important peops there was voicedial. Sure, I can get Sprint voice dial, but why pay more money per month.

One piece battery? I knew nothing until I opened the box and seen the ESN on the back of the phone.

I seen it on TV, played with one at Sprint store, then had to have it. Now, that I have it, I'm thinkin...... naaaa. I'm happy with it.
    Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord your God with all of your heart. Seek his will in all you do and He will direct your paths.
    When you bought your computer, didn't you have to buy software for it ?

The longer I have my 600, the more I love it !!

The apps will come, and some of the better ones will be free, most of us have already gone through this the the previous treos' ...
    One advice (and it isn't mine-original): Love the one you're with!
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    I feel like this guy just wanted u guys to give him solution for each and every pb he pointed out

he's shy and he would probably not tell you so ... he's also lazy enough not to browse the forum and find by himself information

Well I don't understand why u had to remember 180 person shortcuts while you had voice recognition to call them! what happened to you (cant remember their names?)? u wanted both because the price of the hardware motivated it ?

.. i think those who bought the treo 600 just love it because they can 'hack' it and modify it a lot ..

Once u have bough a $hitty cell phone you have to face it : crappy or ebay !

What more... why don't you complain there is no tv tuner inside ?????

About the camera like someone else said : it's good enough ..

Voice recording would have been good ! thank you for raising this pb to me..
    About the battery I might add a battery extension if necesary : for the moment NO... I have a charger at home and in my car..

You forgot to complain for bluetooth too ! this one amuse me a lot usually .. let's give it a try in your reply

Well what in the hell do you sell by the way ? just curious

Sorry being a bit rude, man no offense
  10.    #10  
    I'm a Guinnea, ******* that grew up in NJ. The last thing anyone can call me is shy. Just because the name is "Fat Tony" does not meanthat I am lazy.

Who are you? The Amazing Lamp? You can read my fortune by examining my typing? What am I thinking right now? Two words. One starts with F and other starts with Y.

A TV tuner would kick ***. Something my Samsung A600 had. It's called MobiTV. I can just install it on this one too, no big deal.

The camera sucks. The Sanyo 5300 and 8100 cameras were better. The A600, was near perfect. This one... eh..... it's a camera.

I have a charger in my car, I have one in my house, and I purchased the extender today on Febay. It's good in an emergency, I just have to keep buying fresh Duracells to keep it pumped up.

Blutooth is not an issue for me, so why complain. Unless we can integrate my car alarm clicker into the phone. That would kick ***.

I use to sell machine parts. I own the company now. At times, I made more money as a salesman.

A TV tuner would kick ***. Something my Samsung A600 had. It's called MobiTV. I can just install it on this one too, no big deal.
    Ahem... The A600 does not have a TV tuner. MobiTV is in fact a streaming video service that utilizes the 1xrtt network to send tv streams to compatible vision phones. It works on most BREW and Java enabled Sprint Phones. As soon as a decent J2ME is released for the Treo600, it should be compatible on the Treo600 as well...but then again why would you want to spend an extra $10 month for crappy TV on a phone anyway....

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  12.    #12  
    When you're with Sprint PC you have a $5.00 credit every month towards downloads. I have 4 phones on my account, so I have $20 credit for free downloads every month. It would be great in church for the Superbowl
    Ok I'm no genius but I sure do know that you talk about video streaming and not a video tuner.

Secondly I can see you don't reply to a point I made, about you, remembering all those shortcut numbers (110) and not being able to simply use voice recognition you appeared to be so proud of..

Anyway, I would certainly agree about a voice recorder feature.. or about a radio tuner.. But here I come with a 49 dollars solution :

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/265-1.htm

For Europeans it's a bit less expensive due to the current exchange rates: 1 euro = 1.226 dollar, i.e. it'll cost you 39 euros!

What are you going to buy guys for Xmas? hardware? software(names)?
  14.    #14  
    GI Joe with the Kung Fu grip
    Hi Karate aftershave
    Huggy Bear's "How to be a Pimp"
    Rock'em Sock'em Robots
    Pet Rock
    And the elusive Red Rider BB Gun with a compas in the stock!
    A little OT but the other day I thought of something interesting...

I think the reason the Treo can't record voice memos (or more interestingly, phone calls directly from the signal - which would be AWESOME) is because - and this is pure speculation but it fits - the voice part of the electronics is completely separate from the Palm part. It can't be processed by the Palm part, at all. So, there's no voice dialing (the PDA can't analyze voice data), no Voice Recording (the Mic is not even connected to the PDA section at all), and forget about recording calls...

But if I were one to come up with conspiracy theories, I would say that the real reason this is the way it is would be to avoid the remote possibility of Voice over IP on the Treo provided by a third party program. If someone made something like Skypes, that runs on the Treo and allowed you to make calls over the internet, you would able to completely bypass Sprint's meat-and-potatoes business: voice calls. Not only that, you would be able to place unlimited international calls for free...

As it is, I don't think the Treo is physically capable of doing this.

I don't know, I just think, if I was Sprint, I would try to cover my *** in this department...
    Originally posted by NSiNSiNSi
    A little OT but the other day I thought of something interesting...

I think the reason the Treo can't record voice memos (or more interestingly, phone calls directly from the signal - which would be AWESOME) is because - and this is pure speculation but it fits - the voice part of the electronics is completely separate from the Palm part. It can't be processed by the Palm part, at all. So, there's no voice dialing (the PDA can't analyze voice data), no Voice Recording (the Mic is not even connected to the PDA section at all), and forget about recording calls...

But if I were one to come up with conspiracy theories, I would say that the real reason this is the way it is would be to avoid the remote possibility of Voice over IP on the Treo provided by a third party program. If someone made something like Skypes, that runs on the Treo and allowed you to make calls over the internet, you would able to completely bypass Sprint's meat-and-potatoes business: voice calls. Not only that, you would be able to place unlimited international calls for free...

I don't know, I just think, if I was Sprint, I would try to cover my *** in this department...
    NO, third party developers like Audacity have already indicated that they expect their voice recorder apps to work once PalmOne addresses a software update. Do a search, this has been discussed extensively. As far as VoIP, checkout the mega thread about the Fubar Sandisk situation. I just wish Gphone would release a Treo600 version so we could see if it worked via 1xrtt...

FatTony has some reasonable gripes. Ditto for the voice recorder. I'll add one too: the keyboard doesn't always light up when you're using it. If i'm typing in the dark, the keyboard will still time out whether I'm typing on it or not. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Why light up the keyboard EVER if you're NOT going to light it up while I'm typing on it??
    Originally posted by NSiNSiNSi
    ...snip... (the PDA can't analyze voice data), no Voice Recording (the Mic is not even connected to the PDA section at all), and forget about recording calls...

I don't know what you mean by "analyze voice data" but pTunes and other MP3 players on PalmOS can access sound data, and the "Palm side" interfaces to voice via Phone app (e.g. call log can put callerID data into Contacts fields).

Seems we just need an app that turns on the microphone, tells the analog/digital conversion hardware/firmware to save the voice data to RAM or on SD card, and play back on demand. It's possible the Treo600 was rushed to market for Xmas sales and things got left out to meet deadlines.

Until voice recording is availabe, I just call my own voice mail and leave myself a message. Now if I could just do that while on an airplane flight....
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

NO, third party developers like Audacity have already indicated that they expect their voice recorder apps to work once PalmOne addresses a software update.
    Oh really? awesome!! I'm happy to be wrong on this one

Of course, I will believe it when I see it.
    Originally posted by dnheller

I don't know what you mean by "analyze voice data" but pTunes and other MP3 players on PalmOS can access sound data, and the "Palm side" interfaces to voice via Phone app (e.g. call log can put callerID data into Contacts fields).
    Well, I meant actual voice sound data. The functions you describe are completely contained within the PDA part of the Treo. Ptunes is using the OS5-type sound hardware to play music back, and the caller ID info is simply relayed from the standard packets, something simple enough that any other ordinary phone does the same thing.

I mean something like actually *recording* the call, or recording a voice memo through the phone mic, or things like that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast