Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by larryk
    When you bought your computer, didn't you have to buy software for it ?
    Sure. But the basics...such as email programs, jpeg viewers, Java...mp3 players...and even a lot of games that cost money on the Palm are FREE on a desktop PC. I can understand charging for some apps...but when they want money for Java or a simple photo viewer, it seems a bit much.
    Jesus F Christ! Didn't you do any friggin' research before you spent your money? There's no one device out there that does everything. Every phone and PDA is a compromise, and when you cram a phone and a PDA into a device as small as the T600 you're faced with even more compromise.

Gee, the T600 isn't perfect. What a surprise. Tell me what device is? Right now, it's by far the best combination of phone and PDA available. If the phone features it's missing are that damn important to you, then buy a phone!

But if you want one device that combines the key features of a phone and PDA in one slick package, then be prepared to compromise on some other things.

But lord, don't ***** and moan all over this forum because you were too lazy to think about what you needed vs. what you wanted vs what the T600 has BEFORE you made your purchase.

P.S. If you keep the Treo, the rest of the world will be eternally grateful that we don't have to listen to a crummy recording of your voice going "Yea, I've got mail" every time someone sends you a message. God, I'm so sick of being constantly bombarded by second rate, distorted caricatures of music by people who can't remember to turn off their phones in a theater, or who bury their phones so deep in their purses or briefcases that it takes half a hour to answer it. And listening to recorded voices over and over is even more annoying.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    Jesus F Christ! Didn't you do any friggin' research before you spent your money? There's no one device out there that does everything. Every phone and PDA is a compromise, and when you cram a phone and a PDA into a device as small as the T600 you're faced with even more compromise.

Gee, the T600 isn't perfect. What a surprise. Tell me what device is? Right now, it's by far the best combination of phone and PDA available. If the phone features it's missing are that damn important to you, then buy a phone!

But if you want one device that combines the key features of a phone and PDA in one slick package, then be prepared to compromise on some other things.

But lord, don't ***** and moan all over this forum because you were too lazy to think about what you needed vs. what you wanted vs what the T600 has BEFORE you made your purchase.

P.S. If you keep the Treo, the rest of the world will be eternally grateful that we don't have to listen to a crummy recording of your voice going "Yea, I've got mail" every time someone sends you a message. God, I'm so sick of being constantly bombarded by second rate, distorted caricatures of music by people who can't remember to turn off their phones in a theater, or who bury their phones so deep in their purses or briefcases that it takes half a hour to answer it. And listening to recorded voices over and over is even more annoying.
    Wow! Take a Midol for your PMS, buddy!
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
    I just got mine today and I TOTALLY agree about the weak ringer and the pathetically weak vibrate.

I'm gonna have to find some of these "loud" ringers you guys were talking about. But I sure am gonna miss my mega-loud wav-file ringers from my NEXTEL i730 (speaking of which, anybody wanna buy one? lol). Nothing like having Worf say, "<BEEP BEEP BEEP>, Captain, imcoming message" when people call.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    Originally posted by Kooldino

Sure. But the basics...such as email programs, jpeg viewers, Java...mp3 players...and even a lot of games that cost money on the Palm are FREE on a desktop PC. I can understand charging for some apps...but when they want money for Java or a simple photo viewer, it seems a bit much.
    Seems a bit much for someone who sat at a computer and wrote a program that does something useful to desire compensation for it?

It's a tired line, but if you don't want to pay for it, write the program yourself.
    Doug "Doberman" Hillman

If you can't be a good example then at least try to be a horrible reminder.
    The creator of this post seems to resign! NO NEWS : GREAT!
    Maybe he sold it
    1. Voice over I.P. will come soon. You can use the Treo 600 as a modem for your laptop and make I.P. calls. The Palm OS app to do the same is probably in the works.

Almost every gripe can be addressed with a software fix.

One piece design keeps the core device smaller (and production costs lower).

The only omissions that hurt the device (arguably) are lack of built-in bluetooth and a 320x320 true 16-bit screen.

However, they can add those features to the 700, along with 64 MB of internal memory. :-)
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    What's this have to do with paying for Java?

Ok...your argument is really poor here...just because you're combining a PDA and a phone, it shouldn't sacrifice a little bit of decent free software. I mean, seriously, your argument is "you can't have free software because you added phone functionality to a PDA!". Right. You must have been the Cap'n of the debate team.

I'm going to state my opinion. Feel free to ignore my posts if you wish, I'm not making you read them.

Wow, that was off topic.
    Originally posted by Doug Hillman

Seems a bit much for someone who sat at a computer and wrote a program that does something useful to desire compensation for it?

It's a tired line, but if you don't want to pay for it, write the program yourself.
    ...but people sit there constantly and write them for the PC. I'm just asking for ONE for the Palm. Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

And for the record (not tha it matters), I've released quite a few free programs in my day.
  10. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I think meyerweb's rant was directed at fat tony and not you.

But on your subject..... There are plenty of freeware apps out there for the palm platform. I'd say that there are more freeware apps for the palm than there are total apps for PPC.

The problem is that when you write an app for a niche product (like our treo), then your initial investment is going to be higher ($600 for the phone) and you're going to want to recoup that. Combine that with the fact that only a couple of thousand users are your possible market and you're stuck at charging $20 for your program.

A freebee programmer is more likely to write a program for the OS 3 market than for the OS 5 market - because even a poor student (the usual pool of freebee developers) can afford an OS 3 device.

The exception of course is that programmer that just happened to buy a Treo 600 and wants a specialty program - they might be quite willing to share that with the group.

I don't think that we can EXPECT free programs though.....

I also think it absurd that the TREO doesn't come with MP3 software out of the box.....but that's another story......
    Cheers

Charles
    Originally posted by ceb
    I also think it absurd that the TREO doesn't come with MP3 software out of the box.....but that's another story......
    Exactly my point. It's missing a few things that really should have either been built in, or readily, freely available. I'm not ditching the phone over it, but it just kinda stinks. Time will change things, i'm sure.
    Last edited by Kooldino; 01/12/2004 at 03:07 PM.
    Originally posted by ceb
    Sheesh people, they give your Ptunes for free! What else do you want!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

They advertised MP3 functionality. They didn't advertise MP3 functionality conditioned on registering and downloading from a third party. There shouldn't be strings attached to use features that they advertise as being standard, even if the stirngs are minor.
    the ptunes deluxe version for free. . . at least the upgrade was discounted.

anyway, yeah I'm in the same boat about paying big money for some of the software out there. A good chunk of it just isn't worth the money they are asking or I know I'll only find cool for a few minutes a week. I'd buy the guy a beer, but i'm real leery about putting his kids through college.

heck, there's even some guy trying to sell off his wallpapers for this phone out there. just because the phone costs 600$ bucks doesn't mean I'm a retard when it comes to money. I've a good sense of how much I think software is worth. And I won't pay for software that shouldn't even be a 1.0 version (read as still in beta testing). It's fine that people write this software as a hobby, but the quality of the software tends to show that it's a side project and yet I'm still expected to shovel out 15$ for it.

yes there's good software, but there's even more bad software and there isn't a lot of overlapping software. i.e. different competing products that do the same thing (so that I have a choice!).
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

15. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

>>ceb climbs on his soapbox<<

Yep, it is a free download, BUT not all features of the 600 work out of the box.

Please note that I'm not one of the professional whiners on this board but I think that software for all the device features should be included. Kinda like buying a car and being told that you get free tires - shipped from TireRack........

PC manufacturers do this too - selling a DVD or CD burner without the software to use the product out of the box.

Would it be OK with you if Treo was sold with a link to a phone book app??????

I contend that a device should be sold and delivered with software for proper functionality of all intended features - the mp3 player is an advertised function.

That's not to say that the included app has to be the best available, nor should apps be included that expand upon the functionality of the device - in short, the treo should function as a phone, palm and mp3 player out of the box......

>>ceb steps off his soapbox, trips and bloodies his nose<<
    Cheers

Charles
    ringers and screensavers...
    go to 3gupload.com
    there's a one time donation of $6.00 but well worth it!
    Originally posted by gogogadgetgirl
    ringers and screensavers...
    go to 3gupload.com
    there's a one time donation of $6.00 but well worth it!
    Wow: Cool site. Thanks!
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12