1.    #1  
    What phone service & which phones work underground in subways? Especially NYC and Los Angeles? I was in NYC subway & nearly fell off my seat when I heard a cell phone ringing! I assumed that NO cell phones worked in the subway (i hav a treo 300). Are certain services stronger than others? Thanx!
    Originally posted by treoneo
    What phone service & which phones work underground in subways? Especially NYC and Los Angeles? I was in NYC subway & nearly fell off my seat when I heard a cell phone ringing! I assumed that NO cell phones worked in the subway (i hav a treo 300). Are certain services stronger than others? Thanx!
    it depends on the station and how far underground it is.

I made a call on the 1/2/3/9 line on 14th street.

on 23rd st, f line, i can get internet connection if i stand under the grates.

once on the a train arounf 42nd st I got an sms. surprised the hell out of me.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    What service do you use der ay? Looks like you have a GSM version. Anyone have any luck with using Verizon service in subway in NY or LA?
    gsm t-mo
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    As I understand it, Verizon is the only provider who is permitted to put transmitters in the subway tunnels. Isn't that funny, since they also own the legacy local phone network?

Calling all muckrakers.
  6.    #6  
    Wait so the only reason phones work in the subways is because they have antennaes in there? Hmmm. Do Verizon phones work in Los Angeles subways?
    These are not recent articles, but, might provide some info...

Cell phones tunneling in

NEW LEGISLATION REQUIRES CELL PHONE SERVICE

FYI...as soon as I enter the DC subway system I am roaming on Verizon's network.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Cash70, are you eoaming on Verizon's`
    Cash70, are you roaming on Verizon's digital or analog network in DC subway?
    I could do both digital and analog with my Kyocera 6035. Now only digital since I am using the T-600. But I would say that the service in DC is pretty good.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi