1.    #1  
    Dear All,

I'm just curious why is it so hard to write a Palm OS5 driver for the available SDIO Bluetooth cards (which are all only for Pocket PC). With the Sandisk card/driver delayed again, I don't understand why some independent developer couldn't or wouldn't want to do this. I expect there are a lot of us out here who'd be willing to pay for such a driver. I'm used to seeing linux developers--for instance--writing drivers for hardware without official linux support from the OEM. So why not the same for Palm?

So do any of the more technically savvy among us know why it's taking so long? Is there some technical limitation of the Palm OS? What's the deal?

Best,
    --Mathew

P.S. I think it's interesting that the side of the Sprint Treo 600 box reads:

Integrated SD/MMC slot... supports SDIO for additional functionality, including third-party developed Bluetooth and Wi-Fi cards (sold separately through select retailers).

Oh yeah, Sprint; what "third-party developers" and what "select retailers:?
    i don't think it is a tech limitation as the tungsten t's have it

i think it is more difficulty in dealing with palmsource. now that they are their own copmany they are probably being jerks about licensing.
    isn't the Tungsten T OS 4.x?
    It shouldn't be any more difficult to write drivers for PalmOS than any other platform. In fact from what I understand, Sandisk has already completed writing the drivers for its Palm OS wifi SD card and etc. The issue are apparently lisencing disagreements between Palmsource and Sandisk that is delaying the launch.

i think it is more difficulty in dealing with palmsource. now that they are their own copmany they are probably being jerks about licensing.
    I wouldn't make any presumptions on who's being "the jerk" or whatever. We don't necessarily know what the particulars of the negotiations are to make such statements. From what I understand, when lisencees or third party developers make enhacements to the PalmOS, those changes are inevitably incorporated into the next version of the platform. I suspect (or more accurately theorize) this is where the lisencing disaggreements have arisen between the two parties...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Probably all the hired help assigned to the task have advanced degrees in engineering or computer science, earned the equivalent of straight A's during their entire academic career, agreed to work for $600 per week and can't believe their good fortune, and have a total of one year post-graduate work experience and wouldn't know a device driver if it came up to them and bit them in the ****.
    Originally posted by Brooose
    It was the first Palm with OS 5, I believe.
    Will the bluetooth include a HANDSFREE Profile besides a headset profile you think?
    The absence of Bluetooth (either integral or as an add-on) with the Treo 600 is the one thing that has stopped me buying it. The minute it's available, I'll make the switch. Until then, no way!
    Originally posted by Brooose
    Tungsten W is 4.1.1

Only the TW and original Zire (cheap white b/w) are still at 4.x. All other current offerings from Palm are OS 5
    FYI, Brighthand has jsut published an article explaining the cause of the delays for the palmOs SD wifi cards:

SanDisk Explains Delay of Palm OS Wi-Fi SD Card

The first problem relates the rights to Palm OS intellectual property for development of Wi-Fi drivers. Because to the transition of Palm, Inc. into two separate companies, the negotiation and acquisition of these rights has not proceeded as quickly as SanDisk and SyChip had hoped. SyChip has now reached an understanding with PalmSource for the rights and support required to develop Palm OS drivers but the legal agreement needs to be finalized and signed. SanDisk expects the final version of the driver to be released during the first quarter of 2004.

The second problem is hardware related. Since Wi-Fi capabilities were not an original design requirement, the majority of Palm OS handhelds use components with maximum power specifications below Wi-Fi needs. It is technically possible to use the SD Wi-Fi card but its usage may damage the device and void the warranty. A number of handheld computer manufacturers have assured SanDisk that they will modify the designs of their SDIO devices to correct this problem but that doesn't help people who already own handhelds that aren't capable of powering the SD Wi-Fi card, like the Treo 600.
    Thus from this information, I doubt the will EVER be a SD wifi card for current Treo600s!!! This pretty disappointing news imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions