1.    #1  
    I just bought the Treo 600. I am an AOL junkie using it at work and home as my primary work and personal email - right now.

I want to make sure I start this new process right -using my new tool in the optimal way.

1. If using AOL, can i check AOl emails easily on the Treo 600?

2. Is it stupid to use AOL when using Outlook allows for phone numbers, emails, and all contact info to be in one place?

3. AM i better off using AOL and AIM for AOL and then managing my contacts in the palm desktop software or in outlook - or is that totally defeating the purpose of my PDA?

I basically need someone brighter than me to tell me the most effective way to use my Treo for contact management; emails and IM - - I am guessing the best advice is to drop AOL but if I do, what do I use for IM and does this thing really work more seamlessly with Outlook than with AOL?

thanks - - Adam
    Adam, Outlook is a program for your desktop PC. Your new Treo 600 will not run Outlook. The Treo 600 has a built-in contact manager (called "Contacts") which will synchronize with your Outlook on your PC. This is how you keep your contacts in BOTH your Treo 600 and your desktop PC. I would suggest you read the Treo 600 manual which is on the CD Rom which came with the phone. (there are many other 3rd-party contact-management programs for the Treo600 as well)

For email you have a number of options. Which Treo 600 did you get? The GSM model or the CDMA model? (only Sprint carries the CDMA model) If you got the GSM model you should have a built-in email program called ... (ahem) "Email" (pretty clever, eh?)

As for configuring your Treo 600 email to work with AOL ... I cannot help you as I do not use AOL mail. But I know many others DO and I am sure one of them can help you do it.

There are other email programs out there (3rd party) that you can try out. Snappermail (www.snappermail.com) is the most popular and best, in my opinion. But it is not free. There is a free option called Eudora Mail but it does not have all the bells and whistles that Snappermail has. Again, others can also advise you on what to check out.

Browse these boards. Check out the Communications Forum for email discussions.

Good luck. You will LOVE your new Treo!!
    I'm sorry, the first paragraph of my last message sounded stupid.

Yes, of course you can use either Outlook or the Palm desktop software to maintain your contacts. Either one of them will sync up with the Treo. So it's your personal preference. I personally prefer Outlook as I have been using it forever anyway and I use it to check my email when I am at home. So it is the ultimate all-in-one desktop solution (for me).

For IM you have several options. There is Chatter (www.IMChatter.com) It is an excellent IM program that allows you to chat using AOL, ICQ, Yahoo or MSN ... or all of them at once. There is also VeriChat by PDAapps. (www.pdaapps.com) VerChat does the same thing. Check them both out. Or you can use the standalone AOL for Palm. I know many folks use it if all you want is AIM.

Anyway, happy browsing!
  4.    #4  
    thanks for your reply!

i am using the Sprint phone (CDMA). I dont know if that s better or worse than GSM.

my unit is not active until monday for wireless.

i am confused about whether or not when i go to "web" on the treo, the unit can be configured to automatically pull up my emails from either AOL or outlook, or no matter which service I use I actually have to go in and type in passwords etc . . . I am hoping if I go the outlook route i can just access emails under the same email address that I use at the company. is this correct?

my thought is to use outlook as my contact manager and email solution everywhere, and use AOL IM service on the treo.

i suppose while i am on the web i can always go to www.aol.com and retrieve my regualr aol mail as well - if needed.

thanks for your help - - Adam
    i am using aol mail 3.0 it works great on treo 600 you can get it at palmgear or handango they charge you for the program but it is really good .Only problem there is no push .

Fred
    Taking the Chatter topic a bit further - it does support an always-on connection/presence to an IMAP server (of your choice). I messed with the IMAP option yesterday and it is a true "push" email notification system - there is a setup within Chatter that allows it to stay connected to an IMAP server and when mail hits the IMAP server, that mail is pushed out to the Treo 600. There are several options within Chatter for how it interacts with the IMAP server. I tested the features by obtaining a free email account at www.fastmail.com. Once both ends were configured properly, operation went very well. The only hangup I had during the configuration was related to an incorrect password. Maail was pushed out within a minute or so of it hitting the IMAP server. The entire message may not be displayed by Chatter, but enough of it is to make it usable. Sending of mail was done through another ISP.

I did the testing by forwarding mail from two accounts to the fastmail account and everything worked fine.

As a note, I did disable the quick-flash led feature in Chatter.

Ben

Originally posted by Llynx
    I'm sorry, the first paragraph of my last message sounded stupid.

Yes, of course you can use either Outlook or the Palm desktop software to maintain your contacts. Either one of them will sync up with the Treo. So it's your personal preference. I personally prefer Outlook as I have been using it forever anyway and I use it to check my email when I am at home. So it is the ultimate all-in-one desktop solution (for me).

For IM you have several options. There is Chatter (www.IMChatter.com) It is an excellent IM program that allows you to chat using AOL, ICQ, Yahoo or MSN ... or all of them at once. There is also VeriChat by PDAapps. (www.pdaapps.com) VerChat does the same thing. Check them both out. Or you can use the standalone AOL for Palm. I know many folks use it if all you want is AIM.

Anyway, happy browsing!