1.    #1  
    There's an interesting piece on VentureBlog about replacing your laptop with your SmartPhone. The author uses the Treo 600 as the example, and the best part was a table at the end that shows all the software and hardware necessary to do it and where to get it.

"The End Of the Laptop?" at VentureBlog

I don't know if I'll replace my laptop yet (I even use PDANET to connect mine to the net using my treo), but they certainly make a good case for it happening soon.

-- DougKoz
    That was my dream when I initially purchased my old Treo 300, but I soon found out it was simply impossible for me. I do a lot of marketing spreadsheets in Excel and the limitation of the physical screen size makes it impossible to do work with any level of productivity. This is not to mention that I require all the Adobe apps for development purposes. I did not expect to be able to do any development except for coding, but the spreadsheet limitation really killed it for me. I might try to see if the 320x480 Clie or T3 screens will accomodate, but I doubt it.

It might work for some people, but laptops will never be replaced by ANY kind of PDA.
    In a way there's been a paradigm shift...

At least for me, what was once a desktop computer has been replaced by my laptop; what was once a laptop has now been replaced by my Treo.
    Originally posted by ttazawa
    In a way there's been a paradigm shift...

At least for me, what was once a desktop computer has been replaced by my laptop; what was once a laptop has now been replaced by my Treo.
    I agree. Got rid of the "desktop" for a laptop. Now the laptop doesn't move around much since the arrival of the Palm. Only when absolutely necessary.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  5.    #5  
    The thing everybody keeps bringing up is the display. Is there any good technical reason why PalmOne, et. al., don't support external displays like they support external keyboards? I can't think of one...
    This past July, E-ink in Cambridge, MA announced a folding, portable computer display. Don't know how long it will be before it's cheap enough and connects to a Treo, but at least the technology exists for a portable display. Cool!

http://www.sciencentral.com/articles...e_id=218392010
  7.    #7  
    Oh, that flexible display is great. Now here's a cute display replacement -- projects the display right into your eye. Combine THAT with bluetooth...

http://www.wired.com/news/gizmos/0,1...w=wn_tophead_3
    Originally posted by ttazawa
    Disagree. There isn't a smart phone out there yet that can do what my iBook does. Not even close. I use my notebook for web designs, presentations and graphics. Go ahead: Prove me wrong.
    Yet I love my Treo!
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Originally posted by m00se

Disagree. There isn't a smart phone out there yet that can do what my iBook does. Not even close.
    Nobody would dispute that claim, dude. What is nice, however, is that my Powerbook doesn't have to leave the house as often on those occassions when I only need email and communications tools.
    Scott
    I agree... I can do email, check calendar, and find phone numbers (and then dial them!!) from the T600.

The laptop is strictly for work purposes. However, it has greatly delayed my need to purchase a personal laptop for checking email and verifying pictures while traveling.
    I absolutely agreeeeee..... 1000%....

I replaced my laptop long time ago with my Zaurus, which was replaced by Treo 600 last week.....(it even replaced my phone and my pager)

There is just one thing that I have to get working, I need to be able to telnet/ssh to a unix box and get the vpn working.... Does anyone know how?

Cheers
    TREO 600 ROCKS !!!! I gave up my Zaurus sl-5500 and my Motorola v60i for it.

"Willing is not enough; we must do. Knowing is not enough; we must apply." -- Bruce Lee
    Check out this link; lots of information here regarding VPN clients for the Palm OS. Hopefully you can find what you need here:

http://www.palmone.com/us/wireless/vpn/

Hope the info helps!
    Scott
    Originally posted by cadetstimpy
    Nobody would dispute that claim, dude. What is nice, however, is that my Powerbook doesn't have to leave the house as often on those occassions when I only need email and communications tools.
    My comment was directly squared at the original message that stated: "...replacing your laptop with your SmartPhone." I use my Treo for e-mail as well -- thank you very much. But the key word in this thread has been "replace."
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    The table at the bottom of the article mentions you can purchase a portable keyboard for the Treo for $30. Tell me where. The cheapest I've seen is $70.
  15.    #15  
    Yeah, that's funny - the link says $99. I wonder if he'll sell them too us for $30 ;-).

The Palm Wireless Keyboard can be bought for about $47, and works with the Treo 600, tho:

http://www.shopperwiz.com/shopdispla...&Key=082002500