Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am totally disgusted with all the telemarketer calls I get on my landline and seriously considering terminating service and using my T600 as my only phone. Are there any unforseeable impacts that this may have? Thingd such as applying for credit, jobs, banking etc. What will the institutions say when they ask for a home phone and I tell them I don't have one?
    I've done it for years with no bad results. When asked for your home number just give them your mobile. In effect that number is your home number.
  3.    #3  
    Aren't you worried about getting telemarketer calls by giving out your cell number?
    Just sign up on the federal do-not-call list. After 90 days, you won't get 95-percent of the telemarketing calls you get now.
    Anytime cashiers ask for a tele, I give them 8885551212. Not only will they have telemarketers zero in on you, it also gives them your address to send junk mail.

P800->Treo 600->P900->XDA II->P900->MPx->Treo 600->iPaq 6315->MDA III->i-Mate PDA2k->o2 XDA IIs & o2 XDA II Mini
    I too am very interested in doing this. Glad you asked the question. I'm wondering the same concerns also and looking for replies.
    I've been doing it for years, and have had no problems. I just give my cell number as my home number and that's fine. The only very minor inconvenience is that when people ask for your number, quite often the default area code in their computer is different from what my cell phone is and they have to take 1 or 2 miliseconds (if they are competent) to change it.

I really wouldn't worry about it. I've bought airline tickets, applied for home loans, etc., etc, with no problems. Hope this helps.
    - I've been without a landline since 2000 and the credit card bills keep coming in.

- I never tell institutions that I don't have a home number. I give them the cell.

- I've never received a telemarketers call on my cell and I always give the number when asked. However, I still added the number to the Do-Not-Call list.

- Have cable modem access at home and use the laptop with my cell as a backup.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I'm wondering if there is some regulation against telemarketers calling cell phones (since it would cost YOU money). Has anyone EVER received a telemarketing call on a cell phone?
    The day after the do-not-call registry took effect, I started receiving telemarking calls on my cell phone. I immediately put my cell number on the do-not-call list, but it takes 90 days to kick in.
    Originally posted by wcarlson40
    I'm wondering if there is some regulation against telemarketers calling cell phones (since it would cost YOU money). Has anyone EVER received a telemarketing call on a cell phone?
    "Under the rules, telemarketers cannot call cell phones using their most common time-saving devices, automatic dialers and prerecorded messages, effectively banning calls to cell phones. Such enforcement, which carries heavy fines, is viewed as especially important for cell phones, which often include charges for airtime on incoming calls as well as outgoing."

entire article

That is why I have never recieved a telemarketers call.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I havent had a land line for 1.5 years. I give the cell or my work # as my home #. I've never gotten a telemarketing call on the cell.

One thing to keep in mind is emergency preparedness. Landlines are typically more reliable. If the power goes out and your cell battery runs down, you can still use a landline to call out. If you live in a city and there's a catastrophe (like 9/11) the cell lines can be down or overloaded. That's not *as* possible with a land line.

These are things I think about having grown up in Kansas (tornado/storm/ice land) and now living in California (earthquake/fire/landslide/Gropenator land).

Dan.
    Other than possibly lousy coverage (I know the AT&T I use doesn't have a very strong signal inside my house - but I'm using an ancient Nokia that may not have refined receiver electronics) there is one problem that appears to be insurmountable with cell phones right now.

I have multiple phones connected to the same hardwired phone line - 2 downstairs 2 upstairs - all ready to answer or make a call on the same line AND I have two phone lines connected to the same dual-line phone that allows me to, for example, call my Ma-in-law on one line, call Vietnam on the other line, then click on "conference call" and we're all on-line.

Don't think that all is feasible yet with cell phones.
    SeldomVisitor,

Fer Sher you can conference call on your Treo! I've done it often. Only downside is that you are charged minutes for each line. Still very cool and easy to do. To Vietnam or elsewhere...
    -mbd26
    Very cool - I didn't know a cell phone could have two phone numbers!

(gotta get something newer than my dumb ultra-reliable 5+ year old Nokia...waitaminute! No I don't! I've THROWN that against parking lot surfaces so many times I've lost count - still going! Still going! (carry it on left side of belt, get out of car, seatbelt snags it, momentum tosses it like a shot put!))
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for the insights on getting rid of landline. I have not taken the plunge yet but I think I will do it as soon as I can get a speedy cable connection, which was not available last time I tried about 2 years ago.

I wonder if the local phone companies have retention departments. What if I go to them and say I want to cancel, what will you do for me?
    Originally posted by newtreouser
    Thanks for the insights on getting rid of landline. I have not taken the plunge yet but I think I will do it as soon as I can get a speedy cable connection, which was not available last time I tried about 2 years ago.

I wonder if the local phone companies have retention departments. What if I go to them and say I want to cancel, what will you do for me?

they do...you can play them off of eachother for long distance deals
    Two Years ago iI had cable internet installed at home, We then had the phone line disconnected. We now have a Nokia pluged in to a Device call a Cellsocket, it looks like a charging base with an antenna it plugs in to a phone outlet in the house and allows us to use every phone in the house through the Cell phone It works great I will Never go back to wireline...
  19.    #19  
    That sounds like a great device. What does it cost? Can you dial out directly from the regular phones?
    Originally posted by newtreouser
    That sounds like a great device. What does it cost? Can you dial out directly from the regular phones?
    A
    review .
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast